Dear College Park Families,
Welcome from Friends of Mandarin Scholars (FMS) for the 2018-2019 school year! Established in 2011, FMS is a non-profit, parent volunteer organization that supports the K-8 Mandarin education programs in the San Mateo Foster City School District at both College Park Elementary School and Bayside Academy Middle School. FMS has played a significant role in the quality of the K-8 Mandarin Immersion Magnet programs at both schools.
FMS raises critical funds for:
- Mandarin teaching assistants
- Before and after school Mandarin homework help
- Mandarin enrichment classes
- Professional development for Mandarin language educators
- Mandarin-specific classroom materials, computers and computer applications
- Participation in cultural events such as the San Francisco Chinese New Year Parade and the Multi-lingual Resource Fair in Foster City
- Community building with Turnbull preschool classes
We would like to share with you the 2018-2019 Budget, our Fundraising Goals, our 2018-2019 Calendar of Events, and additional info on the Trust Endownment.
2018-2019 Revenues vs. Budget:
2018-2019 Fundraising Goal for the 2019-2020 School Year:
While we are off to a good start with our fundraising efforts – to date, we have raised $51,423 (22%) – we really need your support to reach our fundraising goal of $232,500! Make your donation today! We accept donations year round. No gift is too small to help support FMS and the Mandarin program. And if available, request a matching donation. You can see if your employer will match your donation here
2018-2019 Calendar of Events:
We are very proud to continue to host events that support community building, fundraising and cultural awareness. Please mark your calendars for the following 2018-2019 events:
- Oct/Nov 2018 - Gift Card Fundraiser on School Campus
- Feb 23, 2019 – SF Chinese New Year Parade
- Mar 16, 2019 - FMS Gala Fundraiser at Hilton SFO Airport Bayfront in Burlingame
- May 4, 2019 - Multilingual Language Fair at Foster City Public Library
Trust Endowment Update
At the end of last school year, FMS became a benefactor of the Pauline Tao Trust. Ms. Pauline Tao passed away in 2017 and set aside a donation to non-profit organizations who support Mandarin education. FMS was able to secure a position as one of the benefactors of the trust, and we thank Yining Wang and Jason Louie for their help in the process.
To date, we have received $258,000 from the Tao Trust. We may receive more at a later date, but this is currently undetermined. The board intends to use the donation to stabilize our annual fundraising goals for the next ~10 years and reduce the fundraising burden for College Park and Bayside parents. Most of the trust donation will be set aside to help cover the growing cost of Mandarin aide salaries. The FMS board will also consider using some of the donation towards one-time expenditures that enhance the Mandarin programs at College Park and Bayside. While this is a significant donation to FMS, it does not reduce our need to continue fundraising year after year to ensure the continued success of the Mandarin programs.
2018-2019 FMS Board
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to us anytime.
- Nhi Huynh / Chair - email@example.com
- Lawren Wu / Vice Chair & Bayside Academy Liaison - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ngayin Ngai / Secretary - email@example.com
- Jennifer Lin / Treasurer - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Judy Yee / Community Liaison - email@example.com
- Yining Wang / Special Programs Liaison - firstname.lastname@example.org
It is my honor to serve the College Park and Bayside Academy communities as FMS Chair. Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to working with you for another successful year!
2018-2019 FMS Chair