Wed, Apr 19 6:32pm
Please see below for announcements for events happening this week!
PTO Board meeting and game night is happening tomorrow!
Join us 6-7pm at HANOC, 105 Hillcrest Ave, West Hartford, CT 06110! This meeting will be in person only. Refreshments will be served, and Mr. Griffin will lead an activity for kids during the meeting. Please RSVP for yourself and any children you will bring so we can plan accordingly!
This Saturday is Earth Day!
One of the ways we will be celebrating is by planting seeds during recess on Friday in the Duffy Garden. Our Garden Committee Chair, Karyn Hansen, has all the supplies but volunteers are needed to help. Take a look at what is planned and sign-up to help.
There are many simple steps you can take to help combat climate change, including some of you may already be doing!
- Walk or ride bikes instead of driving when you have the opportunity.
- Use a reusable water bottle instead of single-use plastic.
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Practice sustainable fashion: use hand-me-down clothes instead of buying all new clothes and only buy what you need.
- Take pictures of pollinators!
- Clean up trash in your neighborhood.
- Plant a tree, or contribute to an organization doing this, such as the Canopy Project, a partner of EarthDay.org. The Canopy Project - Earth Day
- Plant native plants in your yard to increase plant life and encourage pollinators. Plant a pollinator garden - Earth Day
- Try a new recipe that encourages eating less meat and more plants. Here's a list of ideas: Earth Day Climate Friendly Recipes - Earth Day
- Write to your Senators and Representatives asking for laws to improve the climate (reduce plastic products, increase sustainable power, environmental education in schools, or whatever matters most to you!)
- Make an art project out of items that would otherwise be trash.
- Read a book about caring for our planet, such as these:
- The Water Princess
- Kenya's Art
- Seeds of Change: Wangari's Gift to the World
- City Green
- One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia
Yard Goats tickets
We still have a few tickets available for the Yard Goats game on May 5. If you still need to purchase tickets, please contact Lisa Scoma before Friday.