Happy New Year’s Eve from Edison PTA! We are thrilled to see an end to 2020 and have great hopes for 2021. We started out the school year setting up school desks in our kitchens, teaching our kids to unmute on Zoom and wondering how remote PE was going to work. Our school and PTA had to reimagine itself, with everyone working double duty to support our students and families.
While we all look forward to the time when students can safely return to campus, here is a look back at some of accomplishments our Edison family community managed this fall.
Our parent/guardian community has funded:
- Reading interventionist who has supported elementary students in need of remote reading support to help them come up to grade level in sync with their class,
- Art instructor whose incredible video lessons have been shared throughout the district including to other elementary schools without an art curriculum or instructor,
- School supplies delivered for at home use to all our flex students resulting in economies of scale for our families, reduced shopping trips during the pandemic and equity in access to supplies,
- Remote classroom betterment support to our teachers, both in remote and flex, to ensure they did not pay out of pocket for supplies, subscriptions and more, and
- Psychology and counseling interns to work with referred students to ensure that they have the educational and mental health support they need this year.
Our parent/guardian community has organized:
- Teacher appreciation by sending all of our teachers a thank you gift in October and in December we sent the K-1 teachers gift cards. Thank you to our hard-working teachers!
- First ever Edison Climate Week with a coastal clean-up, sneaker drive, climate-focused art and music lessons, and reusables swap, teaching our students the importance of keeping our planet green and healthy,
- First ever remote Autism Assembly to help our student understand autism and what we can all do to help our autistic students,
- Bike to Wherever Day and LOTS of great bike and walking focused scavenger hunts and holiday rides to encourage our students to get outside,
- Fall Read-a-thon to get our students reading with record breaking funds raised and Tuckers celebration,
- October Spookarama with spooky events for parents and students,
- Holiday community service events, including a holiday card drive for seniors and Adopt-a-Family to support Alameda families in need,
- Advocacy for Proposition 15, our remote students, school reopening, library services and more...
There is so much more that our parents and guardians have done this year that we don’t even see. It’s been a hard year! We appreciate all the help of our families, volunteers and donors in keeping our school community strong. The PTA will keep working for you in 2021.
If you have not already, please consider making an end of year donation to your PTA.
Here’s to 2021!
Edison Elementary PTA