To celebrate Earth Week, we are encouraging families to Walk & Roll to School as many days as they can. On Tuesday, the 19th, we will have hand stamping at the school entrances for kids who walked or rolled to school.
If you live farther away:
- Park a few blocks away and walk with your child.
- Bike with your child.
- Carpool with another family.
Spare the environment and reduce morning stress for yourself: connect with other families who live in your neighborhood.
Why Should We Celebrate and Encourage Walking and Rolling to School?
- In one generation, the number of kids walking and bicycling to school has dropped from 71% to 18%.
- Transportation is responsible for nearly 40% of the Bay Area’s harmful greenhouse gas emissions.
- Seventy-five percent of California students are not able to pass basic fitness standards.
- Travel to school accounts for approximately 21% of all morning traffic.
- It is an easy way for children to get the recommended 60 minutes of daily physical activity.