Hello Edison Community - Welcome back from Spring Break!
As we near Monday ... we hope you are getting excited for a fabulous 2022 Earth Week. Earth Day is April 22nd! We have many events and activities in store for our Edison students and families alike... as we near this important celebration.
Our FULL SCHEDULE is HERE (and attached) - full of details on how to participate.
For Monday 4/18 - here are the cliff notes:
Reuse Cart Morning (8:00-8:20)
- Edison’s Reuse / Recycle Cart (built years ago by the “Dad’s Club”) is BACK!
- Get your hand-stamped for bringing in any of the following items on Monday 4/18
- Go Green will donate everything to the Alameda Point Collaborative (APC) Urban Farm, www.apcollaborative.org/farm2market/
- We’ll collect these items all week (in the front hallway of school):
- Plastic grocery bags - clean, folded and stuffed into a plastic bag
- Paper grocery bags - clean, folded and stuffed into a paper bag
- Rubber bands
- Produce ties
- Egg cartons (for Makerfarm & Food Bank)
- Berry baskets (green paper or plastic)
- We’ll also collect the following 4/18-4/19 for Garden Art Projects on 4/20-4/21:
- Toilet paper rolls - cardboard only (we need 100-200!)
Monday is Meatless Monday
- Reduce your impact on the climate by eating more plants, and less meat
- All students encouraged to understand, write or talk about the impact that meat consumption has on our climate, and why this matters (www.mondaycampaigns.org/meatless-monday/research/environment)
- Fun Fact: It takes approximately 1,700 gallons of water to produce a single pound of beef—but just 39 gallons of water are needed to produce a pound of vegetables. By skipping meat one day a week, Americans could save an estimated 100 billion gallons of water each year.
In our Classrooms…
- TOPIC: Teachers will focus on Meatless Mondays
Our Earth Week Sneaker & Shoe Drive starts on Monday as well (see details in Schedule).
VOLUNTEERS - We still need 2-3 parents to help out during Lunch/Recess for "Lunchtime Chalk Drawings" on 4/20-- A fun and easy project. 45 min time slots and a great way to see what this week, and it's excitement is all about, in-person. Sign-ups via Konstella. Join us!
Happy Earth Week! Here we go... Let's make an impact, together.
~ Debi & Jeanine
PTA Go Green Committee Co-Chairs