Get Ready! Edison Climate Week starts tomorrow (10/18)!!
We have 3 goals for this year's Climate Week:
1) Bring our Edison Community together thinking and acting green.
This is particularly important as we emerge from COVID-19, heat waves, recent wildfires and poor air quality.
2) Promote climate awareness, environmental literacy and sustainable practices throughout our classrooms and daily activities – on and off campus.
3) Wait not until Earth Week! Remind our students that thinking about the health of our climate should be our normal, all year long.
What is planned for Climate Week? Lots of great activities, events and learning.
Starting on Monday, October 18th:
- ALL WEEK | In our CLASSROOMS - Edison Teachers K-5 + Music and PE leads will be incorporating climate-themed lessons, games and practices.
- ALL WEEK | Bring your Zero Waste Lunch or Be a Superstar Sorter - Go Green parents will be coming by at lunch to "check-in" on how we are doing towards meeting our Zero Waste lunchtime goals.
- ALL WEEK | Fall Sneaker Drive! - This year we are once again teaming up with www.projectsole.org. ALL TYPES OF USED/WORN SHOES can be donated. Bins available at Edison, and a few homes, all week (details below).
- ALL WEEK | Fall Freezer Gel Pack Drive! – New! Given an increase in Take-Out Food and Deliveries there is now a shortage of these cooling packs. Re-using them is also a huge win for the environment. We are teaming up with www.dispatchgoods.com. ALL GEL PACKS in good condition (no holes) can be donated for re-use. Bins available at Edison, and a few homes, all week (details below).
- ALL WEEK | The Bike Elf is back... Let’s keep rolling! The Edison Bike Elf will tie ribbons to handlebars of bikes and scooters after the bell everyday.
- Mon, Oct. 18 | Meatless Monday - All students encouraged to understand, write or talk about the impact that meat consumption has on our climate, and why this matters.
- Green Otters Student Club is back - First meeting of the year is this week. (more info to come for student members involved), or contact Go Green if your student is eager to join!
- Thurs, Oct. 21 | Green Spirit Day - Every Otter wears GREEN to school to show their climate spirit!
- Thurs, Oct. 21 | Superintendent Scuderi coming to Edison (8:20-8:35 AM) - He will be speaking with parents after drop-off about the importance of Climate Week, Edison's Natl Green Ribbon Award and why it is so important to keep up this great work and progress at Edison, and throughout our daily lives. Please join us.
Where to Drop-off Sneakers/Shoes & Freezer Gel Packs:
ALL WEEK (Oct. 18-22nd)
Sneakers/Shoes or Gel Packs must be placed in a PLASTIC BAG (reuse please!) and can be dropped-off at school, or ANY of the following Edison homes:
- 2808 Lincoln Avenue
- 1514 Fountain Street
- 1541 Eastshore Drive
Be in touch with any questions, and Happy Climate Week!!
~ Edison Go Green PTA Committee