International Walk & Roll
Join the fun on Walk & Roll to School Day
Wednesday, October 12, at 8:00 am.
The students, parents, and teachers at Edison Elementary will celebrate International Walk & Roll to School Day on Wednesday, October 12th. This is a great opportunity to create community and celebrate our health, the environment, and our school spirit. Find a buddy to walk, roll or carpool with!
What's going on?
From 8:00 am to 8:15 am Giveaways & Add Your Sticker to the school-wide mode chart to see how we get to school. Meet representatives from our City government, Police & Fire departments.
If you live farther away:
- Park a few blocks away and walk with your child.
- Bike with your child.
- Carpool with another family.
Spare the environment and reduce morning stress for yourself: connect with other families who live in your neighborhood.
Why Should We Celebrate and Encourage Walking and Rolling to School?
- In one generation, the number of kids walking and bicycling to school has dropped from 71% to 18%.
- Transportation is responsible for nearly 40% of the Bay Area’s harmful greenhouse gas emissions.
- Seventy-five percent of California students are not able to pass basic fitness standards.
- Travel to school accounts for approximately 21% of all morning traffic.
- It is an easy way for children to get the recommended 60 minutes of daily physical activity.