Dear Edison Families,
Now is the time to sign up for your 2018-2019 PTA Membership! Your dues help support all of Edison PTA's programs, including school supplies, garden docent, assemblies, field trips and much more. As a reminder, memberships need to be renewed each year and parents, guardians and even grandparents are welcome to join or renew as PTA members -- our goal is to reach 400 members by October 31!!!
Membership costs $10 per person and gives you voting rights at PTA meetings. Joining the PTA also makes you a member of the largest children's advocacy organization in the country and gives you access to membership perks including discounts to local attractions.
Joining the PTA is easy, fast, only costs $10, and is incredibly important to our school. Join now!
Packet Pick-Up Event - Lincoln Park - Wed., August 15th, 4:30-6:30PM. NEW UPDATES: Our new interim principal will do a short presentation between 4:30 and 5:00PM. The Dad’s Club and the PTA will be grilling up hot dogs (including veggie and turkey dogs). What’s a party without food?!?
Looking to represent Edison? We have a fresh shipment of tees and water bottles to sell ($20 each)! These are always a hot item and will go fast! Please bring cash.
This is our annual Welcome Back to School Celebration! Your packet will include your student’s classroom and teacher assignment, plus lots of good info for the upcoming school year. You’ll also have a chance to meet some of our teachers, learn more about what your PTA does for your school, sign-up to volunteer, and renew your PTA membership (only $10 per person!!!). Cash, check, or credit card will be accepted.
Packets will be handed out according to last name. There will be two lines: A-L and M-Z. If you can’t make it, call the School Office for other arrangements for your packet pick-up.
After packet pick-up, remember to update your classroom assignments in Konstella to see who else will be in your student’s classroom! This will also help you to hear from the teacher and room parents as early as possible!
This year, Packet Pick-Up will also feature the Alameda County Safe Routes to School BikeMobile, from 2:30-5:30PM. Does your kid’s bike need a repair or tune up before school starts? Bring their bike to Lincoln Park before and during Packet Pickup and get a free repair from the BikeMobile!
New Student Playdate For All Grades - Lincoln Park - Sat., August 18th, 10:00AM-12:00PM. Meet current Edison families, new families, and other students in your class! Parent Buddies will be available for any questions you have about the school.
First Day Coffee - Blacktop by the Garden (Pearl & Lincoln) - Mon., August 20th, 8:20- 9:30AM. Join us the first day of school (after dropping off your kids) for an hour of delicious food and conversation with your awesome Edison Community after a summer away! In an effort to support our Go Green Committee and reduce waste, we ask that you bring your own reusable cup. Paper cups will be on hand, but it would be great to use fewer! See the Konstella Sign Up to bring food and drink items.
The Newly Redesigned Edison PTA Website is Live! It has been a busy summer for both Angela Tamblin and Tessa Needham Synnott as they have done an outstanding job revamping the website for your PTA. Here you’ll find answers to all of your questions regarding the many programs and events supported by the PTA. Want to know exactly where your financial contributions goes and what it actually supports? Visit EdisonPTA.org for all the details!
From the Community Service Committee: Let's start the school year off with strong kindness muscles! Check out the Back-to-School Kindness Challenge from Doing Good Together.
How to Remove Yourself from Konstella - Has your child graduated from Edison or have you moved and are no longer at the school? Here are the steps to remove yourself from Konstella. Click on your Profile > click on Your Roles > Next to Edison Elementary click Remove.
Look Ahead at Upcoming PTA & School Activities
- Packet Pick-Up Event - Wed., August 15, 4:30-6:30PM at Lincoln Park
- New Student Playdate (Facebook) - Sat., August 18, 10AM-12PM at Lincoln Park
- First Day of School! - Mon., August 20, 8:20AM
- First Day Coffee! - Mon., August 20, 8:20-9:30AM on the blacktop by the Garden (Pearl & Lincoln). Sign up to bring something to share.
- Early Release for 1st - 5th (1:50PM) - August 20-24
- Early Release for Kindergarten (11:40AM) - August 20-Sept 7
- Labor Day - NO SCHOOL - Mon., September 3
- PTA Association Meeting - Thurs., September 6, 6:30PM in the MPR
- Edison School Site Council (SSC) needs new members: There are lots of way you can volunteer your time and participate in helping make Edison a great school. One way is to become a member of the Edison School Site Council (SSC), which is considered the governing body of the school. The role of the SSC is to develop, annually review and update the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA), which is directed by the school district. The SSC is made up of five elected parent representatives, three certificated staff members, one classified staff member, and the principal. All members, other than the principal, serve for a two year term. Meetings are held from 4 -5 pm, 1x month from Sept-June (usually on a Tuesday). The SSC is currently looking for new members. If you are interested, please contact Nicola Ries Taggart.
- Packet Pick-Up: Please help by signing up to help set up, clean up, or help staff our Fundraising, Room Parent, and Membership tables. Sign-Up is on Konstella!
- School Supplies: The School Supply Committee will be sorting and delivering supplies on August 16-17. Some teachers have specifically asked for assistance in getting supplies loaded into their classrooms. If you are available to help, please contact Lila Fox.
- First Day Coffee: Bring food
- Hospitality: The PTA is looking for a hospitality chair to coordinate the logistics, food, and other aspects of PTA association meetings. This is an easy lift and everyone attending PTA meetings will sing your praises! Contact Jeanine Sidran if you’re interested.
- Other volunteer opportunities will be listed at Packet Pickup Night, are available on Konstella, and available on Back to School Night. Please consider getting involved in big to small ways throughout the year at Edison! Contact Jeanine Sidran to discuss different options.
Edison PTA Auction Committee Needs You! - After fulfilling their two year terms at the end of this school year, both Ryan LaLonde and Monica Sloan will be stepping down as Auction Committee Co-Chairs. Ryan and Monica are seeking 1-2 volunteers to "shadow" them. These positions will transition into the lead auction roles for next school year (2019-2020). This is the perfect opportunity for you to join the Auction Committee, learn all about what they do and how they do it, (while still having Ryan and Monica actually do the work!!!). These are big jobs for sure, but the good news is that you don't need to start until October and then you're done in March! Please contact Monica with questions and for more information. Also, if you would like to help fundraise for Edison but aren’t quite sure how you want to do it, please contact her. She’s happy to help you find a way you can contribute!
Fundraising Partnership with Mabel’s Labels - Mabel's Labels are personalized, peel and stick, super-durable labels that safely go in the laundry, dishwasher, and microwave. They're perfect for labeling all your kids' stuff - from shoes and clothes to water bottles, lunch boxes, backpacks and more (hopefully decreasing our lost and found pile!!!). 20% of all sales will go back to Edison.
Here’s how to order:
- Visit campaigns.mabelslabels.com.
- Click “Support a Fundraiser” and click on the “Select Your School/Organization” from the drop-down menu. Our school is listed as "Edison School PTA (Alameda)". You will then be directed to a landing page that says “Edison School PTA (Alameda) Welcomes You to Our Page > Click Here to Buy”.
- Click the pink “Click Here to Buy” button. To ensure your order gets credited to Edison, make sure you see "Edison School PTA (Alameda)" listed on the top left of each page. Credit will also appear in your order confirmation email.
- Spread the word! Tell friends and family to shop Mabel’s Labels and support Edison School PTA. They also offer free shipping! Share this link: campaigns.mabelslabels.com and the instructions on how to select our school. IMPORTANT: Do not copy the landing page URL to share your campaign. You must share campaigns.mabelslabels.com for orders to be properly credited to Edison!
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE PTA
- Facebook: Edison Elementary PTA
- Facebook group: Edison Otter Pride (community discussion group)
- Also check Facebook for groups specific to your kids' grade levels
Have a great last week of Summer and see you at Packet Pick-up or First Day of School!!!
~ Your Edison PTA
Feedback? Questions? Want to be added to the weekly distribution list for adding items to this weekly announcement? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.