Welcome back to school! We want to give a special welcome to those families who are new at Edison this year. We are so delighted that you are here.
Thank you to everyone who joined us at the First Day Coffee. It was wonderful to see so many of you. For those who were not able to attend, here's a short summary of what happened.
First, the PTA Executive Board welcomed everyone back to school and encouraged every parent to find a way to get involved. Thanks to parent support, the PTA is able to provide amazing education for our students, including art, garden science, STEAM, recess coaching, reading support, field trips, and so much more. But parent support is critical to making this happen - nothing happens on its own! There are five easy ways to get involved:
1) JOIN the PTA at edisonpta.org.
2) PARTICIPATE at PTA events, from PTA meetings to our fall festivals and multicultural nights. We want you to join us!
3) VOLUNTEER in whatever role feels right to you. Contact Jeanine Sidran or any of the PTA volunteers to find the perfect place for you, no matter how much or how little time you have.
4) SIGN UP for Konstella. Konstella is the ONLY official communication site for the PTA.
5) DONATE whatever feels right to you to help support our Otters. You can donate through PayPal at edisonpta.org.
Second, Interim Principal Jane Lee welcomed Edison's families and provided a brief explanation of her role as interim.
Third, Superintendent Sean McPhetridge provided a welcome and an update on the principal selection process. He noted that the position has been posted and that HR is reviewing candidates. The principal selection committee will include parent representatives from PTA, ELAC, and SSC.
We are thrilled to kick off this new year and on behalf of the PTA, we can't wait to work with each of you.
Happy back to school!
Early Release is this week for all grades and continuing for the first three weeks for Kindergarteners.
School Gates & Entrances During School Hours: All of the gates surrounding Edison will be closed and locked at 8:40AM each school day. Gates will be unlocked again prior to school release. The new office entrance is located at 2700 Buena Vista Ave. All guests must sign in and wear a visitor sticker.
Sign up for your PTA Membership at edisonpta.org! Membership costs $10 and we encourage every parent in a household to join. Becoming or renewing as a PTA member shows your support for Edison PTA programs and gives you a vote at all regular PTA meetings. Our new membership system also allows you to automatically renew your membership every year. Our goal is to reach 400 members by October 31st so join now!
The PTA will be out collecting membership sign-ups and donations every morning the rest of this week. Stop by the table with cash or your check. Thank you to all who have already signed up and donated!! Receipts for tax purposes and corporate matching will be available through Totem by early next week.
Dine and Donate!- Tuesday, August 28th - All Day! Come support your Edison School PTA on Bring in the flyer and Mod will donate 20% of your bill to our school! Please note that online orders will not be counted towards our fundraiser. Please go into the restaurant (at South Shore) or call ahead (510-227-1444) in order to participate in the donation. And don't forget to bring in the flyer!!!
Back to School Night - Thursday, August 30th, 6:00-8:00 PM. Parents, you do not want to miss this important night! You’ll get to meet your child’s teacher and find out about classroom curriculum and homework. You’ll have the opportunity to sign up to be a room parent, garden science docent, art docent, or lunch buddy. This is a parents only event.
- Grades K-2 & SDC (RM 20) classroom visits from 6:00 PM-6:45 PM
- Principal’s presentation in the MPR (multipurpose room) from 6:45 PM-7:00 PM
- Grades 3-5 classroom visit from 7:00 PM-7:45 PM
First PTA Association Meeting - MPR - Thursday, September 6th, 6:30-8:30 PM. Come to Edison’s 1st PTA Association Meeting of the year! Please join us to hear about and vote in our budget for the upcoming year! This is the single best opportunity to learn about all of what the PTA does and to find a volunteer opportunity that works for your schedule, no matter how much or how little time you have. Babysitting is provided!
The Newly Redesigned Edison PTA Website is Live! It has been a busy summer for both Angela Tamblin and Tessa Needham Synnott as they have done an outstanding job revamping the website for your PTA. Here you’ll find answers to all of your questions regarding the many programs and events supported by the PTA. Want to know exactly where your financial contributions goes and what it actually supports? Visit EdisonPTA.org for all the details!
From the Community Service Committee: Let's start the school year off with strong kindness muscles! Check out the Back-to-School Kindness Challenge from Doing Good Together.
How to Remove Yourself from Konstella - Has your child graduated from Edison or have you moved and are no longer at the school? Here are the steps to remove yourself from Konstella. Click on your Profile > click on Your Roles > Next to Edison Elementary click Remove.
Look Ahead at Upcoming PTA & School Activities
- Early Release for 1st-5th (1:50PM) - August 20-24
- Early Release for Kindergarten (11:40AM) - August 20-Sept 7
- Dine and Donate at Mod Pizza - Tues., August 28th, All Day
- Labor Day - NO SCHOOL - Mon., September 3
- PTA Association Meeting - Thurs., September 6, 6:30PM in the MPR
- Picture Day - Fri., September 7
- Lunch Buddies: This year, the PTA is organizing parent volunteers to help supervise our Otters during lunch and lunch recess. This is an incredibly important volunteer job that has been requested by administration, teachers, and parents alike. Please review the description on Konstella and sign up for a lunch shift!
- Hospitality: The PTA is looking for a hospitality co-chair to coordinate the logistics, food, and other aspects of PTA association meetings. This is an easy lift and everyone attending PTA meetings will sing your praises! Contact Jeanine Sidran if you’re interested.
- Other volunteer opportunities are available on Konstella, and Back to School Night. Please consider getting involved in big to small ways throughout the year at Edison! Contact Jeanine Sidran to discuss different options.
- Edison School Site Council (SSC) needs new members: There are lots of way you can volunteer your time and participate in helping make Edison a great school.
One way is to become a member of the Edison School Site Council (SSC), which is considered the governing body of the school. The role of the SSC is to develop, annually review and update the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA), which is directed by the school district.
The SSC is made up of five elected parent representatives, three certificated staff members, one classified staff member, and the principal. All members, other than the principal, serve for a two year term. Meetings are held from 4 -5 pm, 1x month from Sept-June (usually on a Tuesday).
The SSC is currently looking for new members. If you are interested, please contact Nicola Ries Taggart.
Edison PTA Auction Committee Needs You! - After fulfilling their two year terms at the end of this school year, both Ryan LaLonde and Monica Sloan will be stepping down as Auction Committee Co-Chairs. Ryan and Monica are seeking 1-2 volunteers to "shadow" them. These positions will transition into the lead auction roles for next school year (2019-2020). This is the perfect opportunity for you to join the Auction Committee, learn all about what they do and how they do it, (while still having Ryan and Monica actually do the work!!!). These are big jobs for sure, but the good news is that you don't need to start until October and then you're done in March!
Please contact Monica with questions and for more information. Also, if you would like to help fundraise for Edison but aren’t quite sure how you want to do it, please contact her. She’s happy to help you find a way you can contribute!
Fundraising Partnership with Mabel’s Labels - Mabel's Labels are personalized, peel and stick, super-durable labels that safely go in the laundry, dishwasher, and microwave. They're perfect for labeling all your kids' stuff - from shoes and clothes to water bottles, lunch boxes, backpacks and more (hopefully decreasing our lost and found pile!!!). 20% of all sales will go back to Edison.
Here’s how to order:
- Visit campaigns.mabelslabels.com.
- Click “Support a Fundraiser” and click on the “Select Your School/Organization” from the drop-down menu. Our school is listed as "Edison School PTA (Alameda)". You will then be directed to a landing page that says “Edison School PTA (Alameda) Welcomes You to Our Page > Click Here to Buy”.
- Click the pink “Click Here to Buy” button. To ensure your order gets credited to Edison, make sure you see "Edison School PTA (Alameda)" listed on the top left of each page. Credit will also appear in your order confirmation email.
- Spread the word! Tell friends and family to shop Mabel’s Labels and support Edison School PTA. They also offer free shipping! Share this link: campaigns.mabelslabels.com and the instructions on how to select our school. IMPORTANT: Do not copy the landing page URL to share your campaign. You must share campaigns.mabelslabels.com for orders to be properly credited to Edison!
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE PTA
- Facebook: Edison Elementary PTA
- Facebook group: Edison Otter Pride (community discussion group)
- Also check Facebook for groups specific to your kids' grade levels
Have a great last week of Summer and see you at Packet Pick-up or First Day of School!!!
~ Your Edison PTA
Feedback? Questions? Want to be added to the weekly distribution list for adding items to this weekly announcement? Contact email@example.com.