Early Release at 11:40AM continues for the first three weeks for Kindergarteners. Their first regular day of school will be on Monday, September 10th.
Teacher Collaboration Day Early Dismissal on Friday, August 31 at 12:30PM for grades 1-5.
School Gates & Entrances During School Hours: All of the gates surrounding Edison will be closed and locked at 8:40AM each school day. Gates will be unlocked again prior to school release. The new office entrance is located at 2700 Buena Vista Ave. All guests must sign in and wear a visitor sticker.
Sign up for your PTA Membership at edisonpta.org! Membership costs $10 and we encourage every parent in a household to join. Becoming or renewing as a PTA member shows your support for Edison PTA programs and gives you a vote at all regular PTA meetings. Our new membership system also allows you to automatically renew your membership every year. Our goal is to reach 400 members by October 31st so join now!
Back to School Night - Thursday, August 30th, 6:00-8:00 PM. Parents, you do not want to miss this important night! You’ll get to meet your child’s teacher and find out about classroom curriculum and homework. You’ll have the opportunity to sign up to be a room parent, garden science docent, art docent, or lunch buddy. This is a parents only event.
- Grades K-2 & SDC (RM 20) classroom visits from 6:00PM-6:45PM
- Principal’s presentation in the MPR (multipurpose room) from 6:45PM-7:00PM
- Grades 3-5 classroom visit from 7:00PM-7:45PM
First PTA Association Meeting - MPR - Thursday, September 6th, 6:30-8:30 PM. Come to Edison’s 1st PTA Association Meeting of the year! Please join us to hear about and vote in our budget for the upcoming year! This is the single best opportunity to learn about all of what the PTA does and to find a volunteer opportunity that works for your schedule, no matter how much or how little time you have. Babysitting is provided!
Alameda Education Foundation (AEF) After-School Enrichment Program - Open registration. AEF offers a wide variety of after-school classes for K-5 grade. Go to alamedafoundation.org for more information and current schedule.
From the Community Service Committee: Let's start the school year off with strong kindness muscles! Check out the Back-to-School Kindness Challenge from Doing Good Together.
Navigating Konstella: Make sure your children are on the roster for their new classrooms in Konstella so you can hear about news and activities in your child's classroom, from the teacher and room parents.Contact Sarai Dunsany if you need help or have any questions.
- How to add a child to a classroom - Click on Your Profile > Click on Your Child > Click on Join a Classroom > Select the classroom from the list > Select > Save
- How to sync the calendar to your personal calendar - Click on Calendar between Feed and More > Click Sync to My Calendar > Choose your calendar app preference
- How to remove yourself from Konstella - Click on Your Profile > Click on Your Roles > Next to Edison Elementary click Remove
Look Ahead at Upcoming PTA & School Activities
- Early Release for Kindergarten - Dismissal at 11:40AM - August 20-September 7
- Teacher Collaboration Day - Dismissal at 12:30PM for 1st - 5th grades - Friday, August 31
- Labor Day - NO SCHOOL - Monday, September 3
- PTA Association Meeting in the MPR - Thursday, September 6, 6:30PM
- Picture Day - All day - Friday, September 7
- Room Parent Orientation in the MPR - Thursday, September 20, 6:30-7:30PM
- Lunch Buddies: This year, the PTA is organizing parent volunteers to help supervise our Otters during lunch and lunch recess. This is an incredibly important volunteer job that has been requested by administration, teachers, and parents alike. Please review the description on Konstella and sign up for a lunch shift!
- Hospitality: The PTA is looking for a hospitality co-chair to coordinate the logistics, food, and other aspects of PTA association meetings. This is an easy lift and everyone attending PTA meetings will sing your praises! Contact Jeanine Sidran if you’re interested.
- Edison School Site Council (SSC) needs new members: There are lots of ways you can volunteer your time and participate in helping make Edison a great school. One way is to become a member of the Edison School Site Council (SSC), which is considered the governing body of the school. The role of the SSC is to develop, annually review and update the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA), which is directed by the school district.
The SSC is made up of five elected parent representatives, three certificated staff members, one classified staff member, and the principal. All members, other than the principal, serve for a two year term. Meetings are held from 4 -5 pm, 1x month from Sept-June (usually on a Tuesday). The SSC is currently looking for new members. If you are interested, please contact Nicola Ries Taggart.
- STEAM (Science. Technology. Engineering. Art/Design. Math.)- The STEAM Committee is looking for parents enthusiastic about science! We are exploring the possibility of several exciting STEAM programs including hosting Weekend STEAM Workshops/Experiments out on the Edison blacktop, participating in the Alameda Mini-Maker Faire, exploring a dedicated STEAM Lab at Edison, and assisting Edison's educators with STEAM related supplies and activities. If interested, please contact Erik Kneer via e-mail at Maestrokneer@hotmail.com or join our committee group on Konstella.
- Other volunteer opportunities are available on Konstella, and at Back to School Night. Please consider getting involved in big to small ways throughout the year at Edison! Contact Jeanine Sidran to discuss different options.
Edison PTA Auction Committee Needs You! - After fulfilling their two year terms at the end of this school year, both Ryan LaLonde and Monica Sloan will be stepping down as Auction Committee Co-Chairs. Ryan and Monica are seeking 1-2 volunteers to "shadow" them. These positions will transition into the lead auction roles for next school year (2019-2020). This is the perfect opportunity for you to join the Auction Committee, learn all about what they do and how they do it, (while still having Ryan and Monica actually do the work!!!). These are big jobs for sure, but the good news is that you don't need to start until October and then you're done in March!
Please contact Monica with questions and for more information. Also, if you would like to help fundraise for Edison but aren’t quite sure how you want to do it, please contact her. She’s happy to help you find a way you can contribute!
Fundraising Partnership with Mabel’s Labels - Mabel's Labels are personalized, peel and stick, super-durable labels that safely go in the laundry, dishwasher, and microwave. They're perfect for labeling all your kids' stuff - from shoes and clothes to water bottles, lunch boxes, backpacks and more (hopefully decreasing our lost and found pile!!!). 20% of all sales will go back to Edison.
Here’s how to order:
- Visit campaigns.mabelslabels.com.
- Click “Support a Fundraiser” and click on the “Select Your School/Organization” from the drop-down menu. Our school is listed as "Edison School PTA (Alameda)". You will then be directed to a landing page that says “Edison School PTA (Alameda) Welcomes You to Our Page > Click Here to Buy”.
- Click the pink “Click Here to Buy” button. To ensure your order gets credited to Edison, make sure you see "Edison School PTA (Alameda)" listed on the top left of each page. Credit will also appear in your order confirmation email.
- Spread the word! Tell friends and family to shop Mabel’s Labels and support Edison School PTA. They also offer free shipping! Share this link: campaigns.mabelslabels.com and the instructions on how to select our school. IMPORTANT: Do not copy the landing page URL to share your campaign. You must share campaigns.mabelslabels.com for orders to be properly credited to Edison!
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE PTA
- Facebook: Edison Elementary PTA
- Facebook group: Edison Otter Pride (community discussion group)
- Also check Facebook for groups specific to your kids' grade levels
Have a great last week of Summer and see you at Packet Pick-up or First Day of School!!!
~ Your Edison PTA
Feedback? Questions? Want to be added to the weekly distribution list for adding items to this weekly announcement? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.