Dear Edison Families,
Thanks to all who joined us at the PTA meeting last week! We discussed and approved the 2018-2019 PTA budget, learned about the upcoming Readathon and Fall Festival, approved field trips for all six grades, and had lots of opportunities to get to know each other.
At the end of the meeting, we had a great brainstorming session to come up with ideas for parent education and family engagement activities throughout the year. Parents generated an amazing list of topics, including managing anxiety in children, gender fluidity, book clubs, supporting our students with special needs, and an overview of the new English Language Arts Common Core Curriculum. But we want to hear from you! If you have ideas or suggestions on what the PTA can do to help educate parents and bring all families into the Edison community, please reach out to Sheila SatheWarner, head of Diversity and Inclusion, and Priya Jagannathan, head of Family Engagement. We would love to hear your ideas.
Priya Jagannathan, Sheila SatheWarner, and Gretchen Hoff Varner
Sign up for your PTA Membership at edisonpta.org! Join over 200 other parents, grandparents, Edison teachers and staff by becoming a PTA member. Membership costs $10 and we encourage every parent in a household to join.
Parents, please sign up for Konstella and make sure your children are enrolled in the correct classroom! Please see the “How To…” instructions in the Konstella section under Events.
Alameda Education Foundation Enrichment classes begin next week!
***Please note that if enrollment numbers are not met for your chosen class, the class will be cancelled and you’ll be notified by AEF. Help spread the word to get more kids enrolled. More info here!
- Pokemon Lego - Gr. K-2: Every young person loves Pokemon and this class does not have a screen in sight!
- ***Ocean Works Mad Science - Gr. 3-5: Do you have a budding marine biologist in your house?
- Island Dance - Gr. K-5: Get your hula on with Ms. Corpuz!
- ***“Young Masters” Painting class - Gr. 3-5: More artwork to adorn your walls or for those beautiful Holiday calendars!
- ***Flag Football - Gr. 3-5: The safe way to introduce your child to football and tire him or her out!
- Basketball - Gr. K-2: Another fun class to tire the youngest of our students out while having fun!
- ***Chorus - Gr. 1-5: Can’t go wrong with this class!
- ***Quickstart Tennis - Gr. K-5: This tennis is specially designed for young people. They will be hitting the balls over the net during the first lesson!
- Fantastic Fiction Maker class - Gr. K-5: Students put their "Maker" hats on to work in teams with their box of "stuff" to create their challenge each week!
- Directed Drawing and Painting - Gr. K-2: The youngest students shine and dazzle parents with their artistic creations!
Room Parent Orientation - MPR - Thursday, September 20, 6:30-7:30PM. This orientation is for those who have signed-on to be a Room Parent for their classroom. Contact Michelle Lager if you have questions or need more information.
Alameda Special Education Family Support Group - Franklin Elementary - Wednesday, October 3, 6:30-8:30PM. The Alameda Special Education Family Support Group is hosting a Welcome Back to School Reception. Speakers will be Sean McPhetridge, AUSD Superintendent and Victoria Forrester, AUSD Director of Special Education. Free childcare will be provided. For more information click here.
Diversity and Inclusion Playdate and Meeting - Edison Blacktop - Sunday, October 7th, 4-6PM. Bring your family, friends, and kids to our Diversity and Inclusion Playdate and Meeting. All are welcome and babysitting will be provided.
Look Ahead at Upcoming PTA & School Activities
- Teacher Collaboration Day - Early Dismissal Grades K-5 - Friday, September 14, 12:30PM
- Room Parent Orientation in the MPR - Thursday, September 20, 6:30-7:30PM
- District Collaboration Day - Early Dismissal Grades K-5 - Friday, September 28, 12:30PM
- Alameda Special Education Family Support Group at Franklin Elementary - Wednesday, October 3, 6:30-8:30PM
- Diversity and Inclusion Playdate and Meeting on the Edison blacktop - Sunday, October 7th, 4-6pm - (babysitting provided)
- PTA Association Meeting in the MPR featuring Playworks! - October 11, 6:30-8:30PM
- Fall Festival - Saturday, October 27, 11AM-2PM
- Multicultural Night - Thursday, November 15 - Time TBD
Room Parents Needed!!! It's not too late to become a room parent! We have a few classes where we could still use some help: All 4th Grade classrooms, Ms. Soria-Kevy (K), Ms. Howell (Grade 3), and Special Day Class (K-2, and RSP). If you're interested, please contact Michelle Lager via Konstella or firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a Room Parent Orientation on Thursday, September 20th in the MPR. Please attend if you can or let Michelle know so that she can send you information.
Lunch Buddies: This year, the PTA is organizing parent volunteers to help supervise our Otters during lunch and lunch recess. This is an incredibly important volunteer job that has been requested by administration, teachers, and parents alike. Please review the description on Konstella and sign up for a lunch shift!
Read-a-thon - Come volunteer for the Read-a-Thon! The annual fall Read-a-thon is one of the largest fundraisers for our school. This is how we tap into our family and friends to support our children, how we raise money for a Garden Educator, how we pay for school supplies, how we raise money to give every classroom money to spend on classroom improvements, and how we encourage our children to fall in love with reading. There are tiny jobs, small jobs, team jobs and solo jobs all with experienced chairs (who will make all the jobs fun)! Throw your name in the hat. Sign up on Konstella or email Monica Sloan.
STEAM (Science. Technology. Engineering. Art/Design. Math.) - The STEAM Committee is looking for parents enthusiastic about science! We are exploring the possibility of several exciting STEAM programs including hosting Weekend STEAM Workshops/Experiments on the Edison blacktop, participating in the Alameda Mini-Maker Faire, exploring a dedicated STEAM Lab at Edison, and assisting Edison's educators with STEAM related supplies and activities. If interested, please contact Erik Kneer or join our committee group on Konstella.
All Committees Are Currently Seeking New Volunteers - Read all about them in our guide, "Everything You Ever Needed To Know About Volunteering At Edison," and sign up on Konstella. Signing up does not commit you to every opportunity that opens up. Instead, it allows you to be part of the conversation to find out about what the needs are and how the opportunities work. These are great ways to meet fellow parents and to be a part of the community that supports and strengthens our students growth.
Good Eggs Grocery Fundraiser - We are excited to announce our upcoming Good Eggs fundraiser! From October 1-November 30, Edison will receive 5% back on all Good Eggs grocery purchases. New to Good Eggs? They’re a grocery delivery service highlighting the best of mostly local produce and products. Farmer’s market quality has never been so convenient. New customers get $15 off off their first order. Just visit our school site schools.goodeggs.com and enter the code “OTTEREATS” to start earning money for our school. Bonus: We’ll receive a $500 bonus if 20 new families sign up and place an order. (No subscription—order whenever you want, on your schedule!) Already a Good Eggs user? Just enter the same code at checkout in the promo code section.
Edison PTA Auction Committee Needs You! - Monica Sloan and Sarah Henry, our Auction Committee Co-Chairs, are seeking 1-2 volunteers to "shadow" them. These positions will transition into the lead auction roles for next school year (2019-2020). This is the perfect opportunity for you to join the Auction Committee, learn all about what they do and how they do it. Please contact Monica with questions and for more information.
Merchant Programs - There are many easy ways to earn FREE MONEY for Edison PTA every time you shop! Please check out our merchant programs and be sure to use the Amazon link every time you shop. The PTA doesn't see your purchases or payment information - it is anonymous and secure. Make sure to share this with friends and family! We make a significant amount of FREE MONEY through the Amazon link, so bookmark and shop away!
School Gates & Entrances During School Hours: All of the gates surrounding Edison will be closed and locked at 8:40AM each school day. Gates will be unlocked again prior to school release. The new office entrance is located at 2700 Buena Vista Ave. All guests must sign in and wear a visitor sticker.
Navigating Konstella: Make sure your children are on the roster for their new classrooms in Konstella so you can hear about news and activities in your child's classroom, from the teacher and room parents. Contact Sarai Dunsany if you need help or have any questions.
- How to add a child to a classroom - Click on Your Profile > Click on Your Child > Click on Join a Classroom > Select the classroom from the list > Select > Save
- How to sync the calendar to your personal calendar - Click on Calendar between Feed and More > Click Sync to My Calendar > Choose your calendar app preference
- How to remove yourself from Konstella - Click on Your Profile > Click on Your Roles > Next to Edison Elementary click Remove
From the Community Service Committee - “Otters Helping Out” - September/October: Looking for family-friendly volunteer opportunities? Our awesome PTA Community Service Committee has organized a comprehensive listing here!
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE PTA
- Facebook: Edison Elementary PTA
- Facebook group: Edison Otter Pride (community discussion group)
- Also check Facebook for groups specific to your kids' grade levels
Feedback? Questions? Want to be added to the weekly distribution list for adding items to this weekly announcement? Contact email@example.com.