Dear Edison Families,
It's not too late to become a room parent! Room Parents help to coordinate activities between teachers and parents in each classroom. They also collect funds from families to throw class parties or provide teacher gifts throughout the year. There are a few classes that still need Room Parents: Ms. Carpenter (Grade 4), and Special Day Class (K-2 and RSP). If you're interested in supporting your classroom or want to find out more information, please contact Michelle Lager via Konstella or email@example.com. And please join us for the Room Parent Orientation on Thursday, September 20th in the MPR.
The Edison PTA is hiring a Garden Instructor for the 2018-2019 School Year and beyond. Our current garden instructor Lorri Garrett is moving onto another position, so we will be finding a replacement to start ASAP. This contractor position works approximately 10-15 hours per week, teaching 6 garden classes a month while maintaining an organic garden for our lessons to take place in. If you are interested - or know someone who may be interested - please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here for more details.
Good Eggs Grocery Fundraiser - We are excited to announce our upcoming Good Eggs fundraiser! From October 1-November 30, Edison will receive 5% back on all Good Eggs grocery purchases. New to Good Eggs? They’re a grocery delivery service highlighting the best of mostly local produce and products. Farmer’s market quality has never been so convenient. New customers get $15 off off their first order. Just visit our school site schools.goodeggs.com and enter the code “OTTEREATS” to start earning money for our school. Bonus: We’ll receive a $500 bonus if 20 new families sign up and place an order. (No subscription—order whenever you want, on your schedule!) Already a Good Eggs user? Just enter the same code at checkout in the promo code section.
Merchant Programs - Remember to use the Amazon link to earn FREE MONEY for Edison every time you shop!
Toiletry Drive - Help supply people in need with toiletries and household products. Drop off soap, deodorant, toothpaste and toothbrushes, laundry detergent, and other cleaning products at the Edison box in the breezeway, and the Community Service Committee will make sure it gets to the All Good Living Foundation for distribution to needy kids and families. Collections are due by Friday morning, September 21.
“Otters Helping Out” - September/October: Looking for family-friendly volunteer opportunities? Our awesome PTA Community Service Committee has organized a comprehensive listing here!
Edison PTA Auction Committee Needs You! - Monica Sloan and Sarah Henry, our Auction Committee Co-Chairs, are seeking 1-2 volunteers to "shadow" them and take on the role of co-chairing the committee next year. Please contact Monica with questions and for more information.
Come volunteer for the Read-a-Thon! The annual fall Read-a-thon is one of the largest fundraisers for our school and is essential for our fundraising efforts. It also helps our children fall in love with reading! There are large jobs, small jobs, team jobs and solo jobs all with experienced chairs (who will make all the jobs fun)! Throw your name in the hat. Sign up on Konstella or email Monica Sloan.
STEAM (Science. Technology. Engineering. Art/Design. Math.) - The STEAM Committee is looking for parents enthusiastic about science! We are exploring the possibility of several exciting STEAM programs including hosting Weekend STEAM Workshops/Experiments on the Edison blacktop, participating in the Alameda Mini-Maker Faire, exploring a dedicated STEAM Lab at Edison, and assisting Edison's educators with STEAM related supplies and activities. Sign up on Konstella or email Erik Kneer.
All Committees Are Currently Seeking New Volunteers - Read all about them in our guide, "Everything You Ever Needed To Know About Volunteering At Edison," and sign up on Konstella.
Alameda Education Foundation Enrichment classes begin this week! ***Please note that if enrollment numbers are not met for your chosen class, the class will be cancelled and you’ll be notified by AEF. Help spread the word to get more kids enrolled! More info here!
- Pokemon Lego - Gr. K-2: Everyone young person loves Pokemon and this class does not have a screen in sight!
- ***Ocean Works Mad Science - Gr. 3-5: Do you have a budding marine biologist in your house?
- Island Dance - Gr. K-5: Get your hula on with Ms Corpuz!
- ***“Young Masters” Painting class - Gr. 3-5: More artwork to adorn your walls or for those beautiful Holiday calendars!
- ***Flag Football - Gr. 3-5: The safe way to introduce your child to football and tire him or her out!
- Basketball - Gr. K-2: Another fun class to tire the youngest of our students out while having fun!
- ***Chorus - Gr. 1-5: Can’t go wrong with this class!
- ***Quickstart Tennis - Gr. K-5: This tennis is specially designed for young people. They will be hitting the balls over the net during the first lesson!
- Fantastic Fiction Maker class - Gr. K-5: Students put their "Maker" hats on to work in teams with their box of "stuff" to create their challenge each week!
- Directed Drawing and Painting - Gr. K-2: The youngest students shine and dazzle parents with their artistic creations!
Garden Kick-Off Breakfast - Edison Garden - Friday, September 21, 8:20AM. If you have signed up to be a Garden Docent, or to be on the Garden Maintenance Crew, please join us at this meeting! We will be discussing the job responsibilities of Garden Docents, handing out the schedule, and answering any questions you may have! Food and coffee provided.
Alameda Special Education Family Support Group - Franklin Elementary - Wednesday, October 3, 6:30-8:30PM. The Alameda Special Education Family Support Group is hosting a Welcome Back to School Reception. Free childcare will be provided. For more information click here.
Diversity and Inclusion Playdate and Meeting - Edison Blacktop - Sunday, October 7th, 4-6PM. Bring your family, friends, and kids to our Diversity and Inclusion Playdate and Meeting. All are welcome and babysitting will be provided. For more information, contact Sheila SatheWarner.
Look Ahead at Upcoming PTA & School Activities
- District Collaboration Day - Early Dismissal Grades K-5 - Friday, September 28, 12:30PM
- PTA Association Meeting in the MPR featuring Playworks! - October 11, 6:30-8:30PM
- Fall Festival - Saturday, October 27, 11AM-2PM
- Multicultural Night - Thursday, November 15 - Time TBD
Join the PTA: Sign up for your PTA Membership at edisonpta.org!
Drop-off: Please do not park in the LOADING ZONE! Buses are having an extremely difficult time parking and the congestion is making it unsafe for student bus riders.
Konstella: Make sure your children are on the roster for their new classrooms in Konstella so you can hear about news and activities in your child's classroom, from the teacher and room parents. Contact Sarai Dunsany if you need help.
STAY CONNECTED WITH THE PTA
- Facebook: Edison Elementary PTA
- Facebook group: Edison Otter Pride (community discussion group)
- Also check Facebook for groups specific to your kids' grade levels
Feedback? Questions? Want to be added to the weekly distribution list for adding items to this weekly announcement? Contact email@example.com.