Mon, Aug 19 9:46am
Welcome back to school, everyone! If you missed the First Day Welcome Coffee, here's a quick overview of what happened:
1) Principal Sahakian welcomed everyone and gave us a very quick preview of some exciting programs coming up for this year, including a new way to recognize and affirm our many volunteers and our brand new social-emotional learning program, Soul Shoppe.
2) On behalf of the PTA, Gretchen Hoff Varner thanked parents in the room for all of the incredible work they give to our school. This year, thanks to the hard work of our parent community, we have been able to hire a new art instructor, bring Soul Shoppe to our school, provide music instruction for kindergarten, and purchase enough Chromebooks for every student. This is all in addition to the field trips, assemblies, garden program, playground equipment, books, and school supplies that we provide every year.
3) The PTA invited everyone to think about ways they could contribute to the Edison community this year. We ask everyone to join, donate, and volunteer, in whatever way works best for them. This year, we're also asking families to make inclusion a priority. The blacktop can be an intimidating place, and we hear from so many families that they want to get involved in the community but don't know how. Please think about how you can help make our community more welcoming, inclusive, and affirming to ALL our Edison otters. We all have a part to play in this vital work!
4) Jeanine Sidran and Debi Gunders Ryan, on behalf of the Go Green Committee, encouraged families to pack zero waste lunches, and provided an overview of the school's composting and recycling programs. (If you aren't already an expert in this area, your kids will soon have you composting like a pro!)
5) Packets will be coming home this week with lots of additional information about the PTA and school activities. Please join us at our first meeting on August 27 at 6:30 PM in the MPR to find out more!