Important Dates and Reminders
- YOGA & MINDFULNESS WITH SHEILA - Monday mornings at 8am. Open to all Escondido students - Zoom: https://pausd.zoom.us/j/92280179262
- ESCONDIDO WEAR POP-UP SHOP UNTIL FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7th -https://escondido-wear.cheddarup.com
- SITE COUNCIL MEETING (Virtual) - Monday Aug 31, 3:15pm. School Site Council: Topics - New member introductions, Roles & Responsibilities, Review SPSA Plan, and Budget. All community members are welcome to attend. Join Zoom Meeting https://pausd.zoom.us/j/97813404400 Meeting ID: 978 1340 4400
- BACK-TO-SCHOOL NIGHT (Virtual) – Tuesday, September 1st, 5:00pm. Session ending times will vary depending on the grade level. The start times have been staggered so that parents may have the choice to attend more than one presentation. Zoom links to classroom presentations will be sent by classroom teachers.
- 5:00pm - Principal Introduction
- 5:30pm - Kindergarten
- 5:50pm - 1st Grade
- 6:20pm - 2nd Grade
- 6:40pm - 3rd Grade
- 7:00pm - 4th Grade
- 7:20pm - 5th Grade
- MINIMUM DAY - Friday September 4th. There will not be a lunch break at 10:50, instead Block 3 will run from 10:50-12pm. Kindergarten schedule remains the same.
- STUDENT COUNCIL IMPORTANT DATES: All candidates submit their application by Monday, 8/3; ESLC Board candidates email their recorded speeches to Marcela and John by Tuesday, 9/8; Executive Board Elections for 5th grade will be held on Monday 9/14.
- FALL SPIRIT WEEK (Virtual) - Monday, September 14th - Friday, September 18th. Mark your calendar - more details are coming soon. We need volunteers to come up with fun Spirit Week Ideas! VOLUNTEER HERE
- PTA ICE CREAM CHALLENGE (DONATE) - through Sept 18th. PTA organizes events and coordinates with Escondido staff to enrich the Escondido experience with physical materials for learning at home including e-books & real books. Get scoops for your child’s class! Donate at https://2020escondido-pta.cheddarup.com
- PARENT POKER EVENING (Virtual) - Friday, September 18th from 5-7pm. Mark your calendars for the first ever Parent poker evening! Meet other Escondido parents while playing a friendly game of online poker. We need volunteers to help plan this fun event! VOLUNTEER HERE!
- PTA MEETING (Virtual) - Monday, September 21st at 7 PM
Join Zoom Meeting - PTA Meeting
Meeting ID: 885 0703 6358
- FAMILY MATH NIGHT - Tuesday, September 22, 5-7 PM, Virtual Games (and maybe some take home physical games)! Mark your calendar - more details are coming soon. We need volunteers to help plan and execute this fun night for all - VOLUNTEER HERE!
STAY CONNECTED - On Konstella!
- Don't Forget to Join Your Child's Classroom on Konstella: To stay in the loop on classroom events, volunteer, and access the class directory. Click on your profile -> your children, then select classroom, and SAVE
Where is the BACK TO SCHOOL PACKET?
Go to the Escondido PTA Website:
ATTENTION BUSINESS OWNERS!
Did you know that we can feature your business on Konstella under a Sponsor listing for a small annual fee? We can also add small advertisements at the end of our enews and feature your business/promotion.
Do you provide a service for children? We can feature your after school service on Konstella and our PTA website. Contact email@example.com to learn more!
PiE CHALLENGE GRANT: Double Your Donation
Your PiE donations are essential to ensure our students receive the academic and social-emotional support they need during COVID and beyond. Double your donation by donating or pledging by September 8.
Last year’s donations allowed PiE to provide $275,596 to Escondido for the 2020-2021 school year, funding:
Classroom aides to facilitate individualized academic support and assist with future social distancing requirements
CASSY counseling support 5 days/week to promote students’ social and emotional well-being and mental health education
Engaging and fun Spectra Art, music and dance lessons
FREE PARENT EDUCATION
Dear PAUSD Parents,
We all need a little extra help during these challenging times. Here's an informative and FREE opportunity to pick up a few parenting tricks of the trade to support your child.
This month, Brightline is offering free classes on topics that are sure to equip parents with the skills needed to navigate distance learning. Each class starts at 8pm and are short 45 minute sessions.
- September 1-How to Deal with Tantrum and Tough Behaviors
- September 3- How to Work on Executive Functioning for Online Learning
Join one or join all! Click on the link below to find out more!
Wishing you the very best!
Lana Conaway, Assistant Superintendent, Equity and Student Affairs
WATCH: Dr. Austin in MidPen Media's School Superintendents Video Exchange
Midpen Media gathered four local district superintendents to discuss distance learning and opening schools under COVID-19 guidelines. Watch the hour-long edited version on the Midpen Media YouTube Channel here to view the discussion. The district leaders discuss achievement gap, student welfare, and what it’s like to make decisions in these unprecedented times. The superintendents include PAUSD's Dr. Don Austin, Gina Sudaria of the Ravenswood City School District, Erik Burmeister of the Menlo Park City School District, and Dr. Mary Streshly of the Sequoia Union High School District.
PTA/PTA Council News
**NEW**CENSUS FOR ALL FAMILIES AND COMMUNITY STAKEHOLDERS
2020 is an important year for all Californians. It’s the once-per-decade time that every person in America is counted in the U.S. Census. The census asks questions that provide a snapshot of our community, state and the nation. The census affects Federal funding, and much more. Learn more! You have the power to shape the future for the children of California. If you haven't yet been counted, please do it right away and please tell your friends, family, and neighbors. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
ELECTION ALERT FOR PARENTS (and everyone else too)
Every registered voter will receive a ballot in the mail in early Oct. Voting begins when ballots arrive. Election day is Tue Nov 3. Please pay attention to your ENTIRE ballot! Don’t miss:
- PAUSD Parcel Tax (Measure “O”)
- School Board & City Council Elections
- 11 Propositions. [State PTA positions]
Watch your eNews for info about Candidate Forums, etc. Register, Inform Yourself, and Vote!!! Vote early! Questions? Erwin Morton, email@example.com.
PTA SUPPORTS PROPS 15 & 16 ON NOVEMBER BALLOT.
As an advocacy organization, PTA often takes positions on legislation & ballot measures; it does not support or oppose candidates for office. California State PTA supports Prop 15, which would provide billions of extra dollars for our schools & local government services. State PTA also supports Prop 16, which would restore affirmative action in California.
Please register, inform yourself, and don't forget to vote! Election day is Tue Nov 3. Vote early if you can! Prop 15 & 16 info: https://capta.org/focus-areas/advocacy/state-ballot-measures/
Questions? Erwin Morton, firstname.lastname@example.org.
** NEW** FIRE RELIEF RESOURCES
PAEA and CSEA Educators affected by the Fires
Our hearts go out to everyone affected by these fires. Please help the Palo Alto Educators Association (PAEA) help our beloved colleagues: teachers, counselors, support staff, custodians, and administrators. We appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.
Magical Bridge Resources for Fire Relief
We have compiled a list of local and national nonprofits and organizations helping those displaced from the fires. This list includes animal shelters caring for thousands of pets, and first responders who are risking their lives to combat these flames.
**NEW**JUNIOR MUSEUM SCIENCE OUTDOORS
Sept 8th - Dec 17th
The Palo Alto Junior Museum is offering outdoor fall science programming for 1st - 5th graders beginning early September after school in our beautiful local open spaces. Activity sites include Baylands Preserve, Arastradero Preserve, and Foothills Park meeting Tuesday or Wednesday afternoons for 2 hours. In this Junior Museum Science Outdoors program, your child will learn about the unique plants, animals, and the ecology of a special place, while enjoying the beauty and adventure that local wild spaces have to offer. Registration is open now. Minimal enrollment must be met to run the programs. Social distancing, masks, and other health and safety protocols will be maintained. To learn more, or to register, please visit:https://bit.ly/3fOU5IT. www.cityofpaloalto.org/jmz Tel: 650-329-2111
Gamble Gardens Presents: MACRAME PLANT HANGER -- ONLINE
Sat, Sept.19, 10-11am, Zoom Registration Here $40/student
Supplement your child's school art curriculum. Remember when you did macrame? It's making a comeback! Learn to design, knot and create a macrame plant hanger for your pandemic garden. Choose a free 4" potted succulent from Gamble Garden's "Plant Shop" to put into your completed macrame hanger. This live one-hour Zoom class is taught by Lexi Bakkar, an artist based in Sonoma, California. All supplies provided and can either be picked up at Gamble Garden or mailed directly to your home (for an additional $10 fee). Recommended for ages 10 - 18 years (parents can join if child needs assistance). Fun for the entire family!