REMINDERS AND NOTICES
- WINTER HOLIDAY - December 23 - January 6: Have a happy, healthy break from school!
- PICTURE DAY - Rescheduled to February 2 and 3
- 14 DAY TRAVEL QUARANTINE REQUIRED - Friendly reminder that the County of Santa Clara strongly discourages leisure and non-essential travel, and a new Mandatory Directive on Travel will require people to quarantine for 14 days upon return to the County from travel of more than 150 miles.
- PAUSD PARENT TRANSPORTATION SURVEY Please take five minutes to complete the PAUSD Parent Transportation Safety Survey. There are a few important questions. We need the voices of Escondido parents to be heard.
- REGISTRATION for 2020-2021, Registration begins January 4, 2021. Families with children who are not currently enrolled with PAUSD, and want to enroll a child to attend a PAUSD school starting in August 2021, must follow all the instructions at the PAUSD Enrollment web site starting on January 4: www.pausd.org/Enrollment. If you have any questions about if you should enroll your child, please send an email to RegistrationServices@pausd.org.
- FOR HYBRID FAMILIES, LIMIT PARTICIPATION IN OTHER PROGRAMS For the health of the Escondido community/staff/families, and at the direction of the County of Santa Clara, children in the hybrid program may participate in only one other program at a time and may not move from one program to another more than once every three weeks. This is to limit exposure between groups.
- Children/youth cannot attend more than one childcare program, after-school program, or other child/youth activity within the same three-week period.
- For children/youth enrolled in K-12 school, this means they can attend school and one additional before- or after-school program or activity.
- BLACK HISTORY MONTH VIRTUAL PROGRAMS - Join our PTA Committee and help put on new virtual BHM programs in February. CLICK HERE
- RECESS & LUNCH SUPERVISION NEEDED!!!! - We still need volunteers for lunch and recess. We will have another parent training on Zoom, Thursday, January 14th at 11am. https://pausd.zoom.us/j/91639876880 Email John Di Cosmo if you plan to attend the zoom at firstname.lastname@example.org and use the new google doc to sign up HERE.
- RUN 4 FUN HOLIDAY CAMPS AT PEERS PARK - We wanted to send a note about our upcoming Holiday Camps in December/January. Three straight weeks, M/T/W of said weeks, weeks of 12/21, 12/28 and 1/4. Click the link above to find out more! These camps will have a similar cohort-type build as our Afterschool Programs, come have a blast over the Holiday Season! Days run 9:00am to 3:00pm, and there will be a larger range of games/activities throughout the days, including crafts! Register Here!
- KIDS HIP-HOP “HI” WITH SANGINI, WINTER-SPRING 2021 - Boys and Girls: LIFE IS BETTER WHEN YOU DANCE!! Come join this SUPER FUN dance class, currently through Zoom until the situation allows in person. WE HAVE A BLAST!
- Day/Time: Mondays, 3:15pm-4pm*. *Recorded link is always offered when students are unable to attend live. Zoom link provided each week to attend class.
- Cost: Package of 9 Classes/$108; Drop-In Class $15/Class. PayPal email@example.com or Venmo Sangini Majmudar Bedner at (310)497-9856. Questions? Contact Sangini: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NEED CHILDCARE BEFORE OR AFTER SCHOOL? Right At School still has space, is operating on Escondido campus and is maintaining stable 12 kid cohorts. https://rightatschool.com/
PTA/PTA Council News
Help Local Families Financially Impacted by COVID-19
The Palo Alto Community Fund (PACF) is supporting the urgent need in our nearby community, including PAUSD families. The most recent shelter-in-place order will bring additional financial needs to many families. PACF is working with school district staff to identify and support families of students attending PAUSD schools who are struggling to meet basic life needs. As PACF’s fund grows, so will the support to the community. Please donate if you are able to support this local effort.
Health and Wellness: Santa Clara County Announces Expanded Testing Options and Self-Administered Testing - Free COVID-19 Testing Sites
By-appointment testing will be available at the Palo Alto Art Center on Friday, December 18. Go here for more information and to sign up for an appointment starting 7 days in advance of the testing date.
Latest COVID-19 Updates for Santa Clara County
Webinar Series: Stanford Pediatrics COVID-19 in Children Seminar Series
Thursday, January 7, 12-1pm: COVID-19 and Neurology via Zoom
Stanford Pediatrics welcomes the Stanford Children's community and general public to this weekly seminar series. This forum is explicitly devoted to the COVID-19 pandemic and is focused on its impact on the pediatric population and the surrounding community.
Join the event via Zoom: https://stanford.zoom.us/j/94846938153?pwd=aGdUYkdITTNQVjB2QjQybVZyYmdiQT09
You can also call in at: (650) 724-9799 Zoom ID: 948 4693 8153 Password: 802044
The Los Angeles County Office Of Education - a webinar with renowned experts in the field of literacy education: https://www.lacoe.edu
Opportunities to Learn:
- AIM Institute for Learning and Research Virtual Teaching Techniques Webinar Series focused on the upper strand of Scarborough’s Rope,
- Dyslexia Initiative: the Parent Series on the Science of Reading, presented by Marvi Hagopian. Free & Ongoing https://institute.aimpa.org/resources/virtual-teaching-techniques-webinar-series
- CORE’s Professional Learning Webinar Series https://www.corelearn.com/2020-21-webinar-series/?fbclid=IwAR1g_fiUm81w2HiWbu0St_R077GbixLWM8lANGM21c6nMt-4XNphgr9z4D0
Green Tip! Waste-free Holidays
Consider gifting experiences and consumables like food, soap, and candles. Wrap them up with last year's wrapping paper and ribbon, garlands and boxes. Use materials with recycled content, newspaper, magazines, or ribbon pulled from old videos. Decorate the tree with biodegradable alternatives like popcorn garlands, cotton twine, raffia, pinecones and found or edible objects. Plan waste-free holiday meals with reusable dishes, cloth napkins, plant-based local and organic foods, and serving containers with their own lids. More tips from Zero Waste Palo Alto: https://www.cityofpaloalto.org/gov/depts/pwd/zerowaste/projects/zwholiday.asp Finally, have a safe and joyous Winter Break!
Service Hub is a self-paced program for youth to engage in meaningful service to others. Members have access to service kits totaling 5, 10, or 15 hours as well as support from YCS staff through their three-month membership. Each member is able to complete up to 15 hours of service per month, totaling 45 hours for the three-month membership. Members are not required to complete a minimum number of hours, though every member is required to complete at least one module project during their three-month membership. Every week there will be optional trainings and check ins with a YCS staff. Contact: email@example.com. Registration Form: https://forms.gle/HzGheRuz4uDuJ2t66. Please note that there is a $90 fee which can be waived for students with a demonstrated financial hardship.
2021 Palo Alto Speech and Debate Camp Online
June 7-11 and June 14-18: Speech from 10am-12pm, Debate from 1pm-3pm
Registration for the seventeenth annual 2021 Palo Alto Speech and Debate Camp (PASDC) will be open on December 1st, 2020. Taught by Palo Alto’s nationally ranked high school Speech and Debate team, our 4:1 student-to-counselor ratio provides students with individualized attention and support. PASDC’s basic and advanced programs offer customized curriculum for campers of all experience levels and prepare students for high school level competition. To ensure the safety of our campers, we will be planning for a full virtual camp like the previous year, with counselors who are experienced with the online platform. Please visit our website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the program.
Winter Classes on ActivityHero
Winter Break camps and classes are available in-person and online. See schedules on ActivityHero and the PTA earns a % of your purchase when you book online with this link. https://www.activityhero.com/go/paloaltopta Financial aid is available by applying here: https://www.activityhero.com/go/scholarships
The Christmas Bureau of Palo Alto
For 64 years, the Christmas Bureau of Palo Alto has continued to serve those in our community who struggle financially. During the holiday season, funds contributed last year by many generous donors were distributed in small checks to over 636 low-income families. Overall, we helped 2500 individuals. All recipients are referred by local agencies who serve these families with children, single adults and seniors with limited funds! Please visit our website and help us make a difference and spread holiday cheer! The Christmas Bureau is a non-profit [501(c)(3)], non-sectarian, all volunteer organization. If you have already contributed to our 2020 Campaign, THANK YOU! http://www.christmasbureauofpaloalto.org
Apply for the President’s Volunteer Service Award!
Did you know anyone as young as 5 years old can apply for the national award recognizing service in the community? Youth Community Service (YCS) can certify this prestigious award that honors individuals and groups. Students, adults and groups are eligible for the award if they complete unpaid acts of service within a 12-month period. There is no deadline to apply! Contact: email@example.com for more information about the award and process. You can also reach us through our website: http://www.youthcommunityservice.org
Ragazzi Boys Chorus Welcomes New Members to Begin in the New Year
Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 10am, Online auditions scheduled conveniently; SingFest mini-camp
GRAMMY award-winning Ragazzi Boys Chorus seeks boys aged 7-10 who love to sing. Curriculum focuses on music theory, vocal technique, artistry, musicianship, and performance skills. Boys who join now will participate in online instruction using the most effective formats and programs. They will be ready to participate when we return to in-person rehearsals. Younger students, aged 5-7, are invited to join our Music and Movement class, beginning in September. Boys in sixth through 12th grade who have choral experience may apply for an audition with the faculty of our advanced groups. To register for SingFest, visit Virtual SingFest | Ragazzi Boys Chorus. For inquiries or to schedule an audition, visit
Robotics Storybook Reading
Monday, December 21 and Monday, January 4: 2-2:30pm on Zoom
Paly Robotics is hosting two virtual storytimes with a picture book about robots that they wrote and illustrated this spring. Team members will be reading the storybook, presenting about robotics, and talking about youth opportunities to get involved in STEAM. Both sessions cover the same information. Intended for ages 4-8 but all elementary grades are welcome. Sign up at https://tinyurl.com/palyrobostorybook. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.