SCHOOL EVENTS/HOLIDAYS IN DECEMBER/JANUARY
- PICTURE DAYS! SAVE THE DATES! More details to follow on Konstella. Prepay for a package and/or an online proof by visiting www.apvisions.com, click on "Prepay Now" and Enter Code "EEF20" (code is case sensitive)
- Wednesday, December 9: Hybrid Cohort A, FDL Kinder-2nd grade
- Thursday, December 10: Hybrid Cohort B, FDL 3-5th & Full year DL
- *NEW* ESCONDIDO GIVES - HOLIDAY WISH DRIVE through December 11. Escondido administration and PTA have partnered to create a gift drive for Escondido families to ease some financial burdens during this holiday season. Help make this holiday season special for your child’s classmates by contributing a gift by December 11! See GIVING OPPORTUNITIES HERE. And VOLUNTEER HERE to help package and sort gifts.
- WINTER HOLIDAY - December 23-January 6: School’s out!
REMINDERS AND NOTICES
- PAUSD PARENT TRANSPORTATION SURVEY Please take five minutes to complete the PAUSD Parent Transportation Safety Survey. There are a few important questions. We need the voices of Escondido parents to be heard.
- REGISTRATION for 2020-2021, Registration begins January 4, 2021. Families with children who are not currently enrolled with PAUSD, and want to enroll a child to attend a PAUSD school starting in August 2021, must follow all the instructions at the PAUSD Enrollment web site starting on January 4: www.pausd.org/Enrollment. If you have any questions about if you should enroll your child, please send an email to RegistrationServices@pausd.org.
- FOR HYBRID FAMILIES, LIMIT PARTICIPATION IN OTHER PROGRAMS For the health of the Escondido community/staff/families, and at the direction of the County of Santa Clara, children in the hybrid program may participate in only one other program at a time and may not move from one program to another more than once every three weeks. This is to limit exposure between groups.
- Children/youth cannot attend more than one childcare program, after-school program, or other child/youth activity within the same three-week period.
- For children/youth enrolled in K-12 school, this means they can attend school and one additional before- or after-school program or activity.
- ESCONDIDO HOLIDAY WISH DRIVE VOLUNTEERS: We will need volunteers to help sort, package and label the gifts dropped off for the gift drive. VOLUNTEER HERE
- ROOM PARENT VOLUNTEERS Due to re-grouping of classes with distance and hybrid learning, we have a few rooms without room parents. Contact Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in becoming a room parent for your class. Room parents help with communications between teachers and parents, and organizing events.
- 2nd Grade Rm 18 - Full Distance Learning - Kimiko Kuruma and Tiffany Martin
- 3rd Grade Rm 10 - Hybrid - Tara Feldmeier
- 4th Grade Rm 23 Hybrid - John Brubaker
- 5th Grade Rm 21 Full Distance Learning - Catherine Dobroffa
- RECESS & LUNCH SUPERVISION NEEDED!!!! - We still need volunteers for lunch and recess. Email John Di Cosmo when you sign up at email@example.com and use the new google doc to sign up HERE
- ONLY A FEW MATERIALS DISTRIBUTIONS LEFT - Ask your room parents if help is needed for the teachers!
- GIRL SCOUTS - A new Kindergarten Girl Scouts troop is forming for Escondido and Nixon Kindergartners! The troop will meet virtually on Sundays at 3 pm. If you are interested in joining this new troop, go to www.gsnorcal.org/joinus and select Troop 60943. For more information about this troop or Girl Scouts in general, email Melanie Bleyler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NEED CHILDCARE BEFORE OR AFTER SCHOOL? Right At School still has space, is operating on Escondido campus and is maintaining stable 12 kid cohorts. https://rightatschool.com/
PTA/PTA Council News
**NEW** Palo Alto CAC’s Annual Holiday Tea
Saturday, December 12, 3pm-4pm, via Zoom
Parents and caregivers of students with IEPs, 504s, or other challenges, are warmly invited to the CAC’s 5th Annual Holiday Tea. A free scone and tea sachet will be available from Ada's Cafe on the morning of the event. The event will take place on Zoom. We will be joined by Florence de Bretagne, a local artist and muralist, who will lead our community through an art activity involving objects easily found around your home. Spanish and Chinese translation will be available to those who request via the RSVP form. Hosted by the Palo Alto CAC and the Palo Alto Council of PTAs. We hope you can join us for this event and find community as well as some inspiration during our tea. Please RSVP at https://forms.gle/C2P6yKMugKZbQ9Ve8
Té anual de vacaciones de Palo Alto CAC
Sábado, 12 de diciembre, 3pm-4pm, vía Zoom
Los padres y cuidadores de estudiantes con IEP, 504 u otros desafíos, son cálidamente invitados al 5o Té Anual de Vacaciones del CAC. Un pan dulce gratuito y bolsitas de té estarán disponibles en Ada's Cafe en la mañana del evento. El evento tendrá lugar en Zoom. Nos acompaña Florence de Bretagne, una artista y muralista local, que guiará a nuestra comunidad a través de una actividad artística que involucra objetos que se encuentran fácilmente alrededor de su casa. La traducción al español y al chino estará disponible para aquellos que lo soliciten a través del formulario RSVP. Anfitrión: El Palo Alto CAC y el Palo Alto Council de PTAs. Esperamos que pueda unirse con nosotros para este evento y encontrar una comunidad, así como alguna inspiración durante nuestro té. Por favor RSVP en https://forms.gle/C2P6yKMugKZbQ9Ve8
Palo Alto CAC的年度假期茶会
热情邀请有IEP，504或其他挑战的学生的家长和照顾者参加CAC的第五届年度假期茶会。 活动当天上午，Ada's Cafe将提供免费烤饼和茶包。 该活动将在Zoom上进行。 我们将与当地艺术家和壁画家弗洛伦斯·德布列塔尼（Florence de Bretagne）一起参加此次活动，他将带领我们的社区开展一项艺术活动，其中涉及在您家中容易找到的物品。通过RSVP表格提出要求的人可以使用西班牙语和中文翻译。 由Palo Alto CAC和PTA的Palo Alto委员会主持。 我们希望您能加入我们的活动并在我们的茶会中找到社区以及一些灵感。 请在https://forms.gle/C2P6yKMugKZbQ9Ve8回复 。
**NEW** PTAC Health & Wellness:
Stanford Pediatrics COVID-19 in Children Seminar Series
Weekly Thursday, 12 Noon - 1:00pm via Zoom
Stanford Pediatrics welcomes the Stanford Children's community and general public to this weekly seminar series. This forum is explicitly devoted to the COVID-19 pandemic and is focused on its impact on the pediatric population and the surrounding community.
- December 10: COVID-19 Open Forum
- January 7: COVID-19 and Neurology
Join the event via Zoom: https://stanford.zoom.us/j/94846938153?pwd=aGdUYkdITTNQVjB2QjQybVZyYmdiQT09
You can also call in at: (650) 724-9799 Zoom ID: 948 4693 8153 Password: 802044
CLICK HERE for more information
**NEW**Free COVID-19 Testing Sites
**NEW**Latest COVID-19 Updates for Santa Clara County
Mandatory Directive on Holiday Travel: The new Travel Directive by the Santa Clara County Department of Health contains information about how to slow the transmission of COVID-19. Directive on Travel will require people to quarantine for 14 days upon return to the County from travel of more than 150 miles. CLICK HERE or the above link for more information.
**NEW** Literacy Update:
The Los Angeles County Office Of Education - a webinar with renowned experts in the field of literacy education: https://www.lacoe.edu
Opportunities to Learn:
- AIM Institute for Learning and Research Virtual Teaching Techniques Webinar Series focused on the upper strand of Scarborough’s Rope,
- Dyslexia Initiative: the Parent Series on the Science of Reading, presented by Marvi Hagopian. Free & Ongoing https://institute.aimpa.org/resources/virtual-teaching-techniques-webinar-series
- CORE’s Professional Learning Webinar Series https://www.corelearn.com/2020-21-webinar-series/?fbclid=IwAR1g_fiUm81w2HiWbu0St_R077GbixLWM8lANGM21c6nMt-4XNphgr9z4D0
**NEW** Green Tip! Holiday Cards:
Find cards at thrift stores, www.freecycle.org, Craigslist, Nextdoor, or from your neighbors. Look for 100% post-consumer recycled content or tree-free paper. Reuse old cards - tear off the back or glue to a piece of cardstock, or use for gift boxes, tags or postcards. Other ideas: Kids' artwork and digital cards! Kids go crazy for animated ones.
**NEW** DINE OUT for Paly's RISE TOGETHER
On December 11th & 12th, please support J.McLaughlin and Kirk's Steakburgers in Town & Country Village. These two businesses are generously donating a percentage of their proceeds to Rise Together Education and helping economically disadvantaged Paly grads get TO and THROUGH college! Click here for complete details and for safe options to shop from the comfort of your home.
**NEW** HOLIDAY FAMILY SING ALONG
December 11 and 12 at 7pm
December 13 at 2pm
Approximate Running Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes (no intermission)
Age Recommendation: Appropriate for all agesHoliday Family Sing Along is the final cabaret in Players' virtual series HOMEBOUND CABARETS streaming through December 13, 2020. With original concept by Artistic Director Patrick Klein, the cabarets are designed to be at-home experiences that can be watched at show time, hosted live with special surprise guests, or viewable on demand up to 24 hours after the live stream. Single streaming tickets ($20) are on sale now at paplayers.org or by phone at 650.329.0891.
**NEW** Try Out, Girl Scouts!
Girl Scouts of Northern California invites you and your girls to TRY OUT GIRL SCOUTS on Wednesday, December 9, 6-7 pm. Join us virtually to explore fun holiday activities in a camp-in setting with your girls to learn more about ways to start your Girl Scout journey!
**NEW** 2021 Palo Alto Speech and Debate Camp Online
June 7-11 and June 14-18, Speech from 10:00 AM-12 Noon, Debate from 1:00 - 3:00 PM
Registration for the seventeenth annual 2021 Palo Alto Speech and Debate Camp (PASDC) will be open on Dec 1st, 2021. Taught by Palo Alto’s nationally ranked high school Speech and Debate team, our 4:1 student-to-counselor ratio provides students with individualized attention and support. PASDC’s basic and advanced programs offer customized curriculum for campers of all experience levels and prepare students for high school level competition. To ensure the safety of our campers, we will be planning for a full virtual camp like the previous year, with counselors who are experienced with the online platform. Please visit our website or contact email@example.com to learn more about the program.
**NEW** Winter Classes on ActivityHero
Winter Break camps and classes are available in-person and online. See schedules on ActivityHero and the PTA earns a % of your purchase when you book online with this link. https://www.activityhero.com/go/paloaltopta Financial aid is available by applying here: https://www.activityhero.com/go/scholarships
**NEW** The Christmas Bureau of Palo Alto
For 64 years, the Christmas Bureau of Palo Alto has continued to serve those in our community who struggle financially. During the holiday season, funds contributed last year by many generous donors were distributed in small checks to over 636 low-income families. Overall, we helped 2500 individuals. All recipients are referred by local agencies who serve these families with children, single adults and seniors with limited funds! Please visit our website and help us make a difference and spread holiday cheer! The Christmas Bureau is a non-profit [501(c)(3)], non-sectarian, all volunteer organization. If you have already contributed to our 2020 Campaign, THANK YOU! http://www.christmasbureauofpaloalto.org
Ragazzi Boys Chorus Welcomes New Members
Free online SingFest mini-camp Saturday, January 9, 10am; individual online auditions scheduled conveniently GRAMMY award-winning Ragazzi Boys Chorus seeks boys aged 7-10 who love to sing. Curriculum focuses on music theory, vocal technique, artistry, musicianship, and performance skills. Our current remote learning features advanced technologies and online learning platforms that enable effective vocal and theory instruction. Boys beginning this Spring will be prepared when we resume in-person classes and performances. To register for SingFest held January 9, visit https://ragazzi.org/join-us/virtualsingfest/ For inquiries or to schedule an audition, visit https://ragazzi.org/join-us/book-audition/
Play Palooza – The Children’s Theatre Ten Minute Playwriting Contest
Submission Deadline: Friday, December 18, 12am
The Children’s Theatre is pleased to announce the 2020-21 Play Palooza Ten Minute Playwriting contest. Play Palooza gives young writers an excellent opportunity to showcase their talents. Students can submit original work in three categories: Elementary School (3rd-5th grade), Middle School (6th-8th grade), and High School (9th-12th grade). Winning plays receive a staged reading at the Children’s Theatre, and winning playwrights receive prizes donated by the Friends of the Palo Alto Children’s Theatre. Submissions can be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org