IMPORTANT DATES AND REMINDERS
- Monday, February 15 - PRESIDENTS' DAY - No School
- FEBRUARY IS AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH
JOIN US IN REGISTERING FOR THE PAUSD 21 DAY EQUITY CHALLENGE!! For 21 days participate in engaging, thought provoking activities to develop a deeper understanding how racism and inequity affect our lives and our community. Free to participate! JOIN HERE
Connect with our Escondido Community who is participating in the challenge! FILL OUT THIS FORM!
Thursday, February 25 - ALL NEW - Parent/Child Black History Month Book Discussion: Featuring books chosen by the Student Leadership Council in celebration of Black History Month. Zoom and details coming soon!
- Wednesday, February 17 is COHORT A
- Wednesday, February 17 - Talent Show Information Night (see below)
- Friday, February 19 - YEARBOOK COVER DESIGNS DUE!
- Monday, February 22 - PTA Meeting Zoom Meeting JOIN HERE
Meeting ID: 885 0703 6358 Passcode: PTARocks
- Tuesday & Wednesday, February 23 & 24 - PICTURE DAYS!
- Feb 23rd - Cohort A and Full Distance Learning (TBD)
- Feb 24th - Cohort B and Full Distance Learning (TBD)
- Wednesday, February 24 - DEADLINE for PAUSD MIDDLE SCHOOL CHOICE PROGRAM
- Parents of current 5th graders: if you are interested in applying to a PAUSD Middle School Choice Program for the fall, the deadline for applications is 4:00 p.m. February 24, 2021. For more information and an application, please visit the PAUSD Choice Programs web page and look for the section titled “Middle School Choice Programs”.
- THE TALENT SHOW IS COMING!!!! For the LOVE of the SHOW!!! Check-out our new website and learn how this year's show will be all online and super special!
- ATTENTION 5th GRADE PARENTS - WE NEED YOU to represent and add Escondido culture to Greene programs. Please consider joining the Greene PTA Board. CLICK HERE if interested!
- ATTENTION ALL RETURNING ESCONDIDO FAMILIES - Get Involved with the PTA!
- We need a committee to help us select new officers for next year called the nominating committee. You will attend the February 22nd and March 22nd PTA Meetings. SIGN UP HERE to be on the nominating committee (small time commitment)
- We need a few new people to join the Board next year - VOLUNTEER HERE
- REGISTRATION for 2020-2021 - Registration began January 4, 2021. Families with children who are not currently enrolled with PAUSD, and want to enroll a child to attend a PAUSD school starting in August 2021, must follow all the instructions at the PAUSD Enrollment web site starting on January 4: www.pausd.org/Enrollment. If you have any questions about if you should enroll your child, please send an email to RegistrationServices@pausd.org.
- HYBRID FAMILIES: Please help us keep our students and staff safe from exposure to COVID-19. Our safety depends on parents to notify and be honest about their activities and exposure. PLEASE NOTIFY YOUR TEACHER AND THE OFFICE IF:
- Your child travels more than 150 miles;
- Any of the programs your child participates in has had a COVID exposure so your child is a close contact;
- Anyone in your family has been diagnosed or received a positive COVID-19 test;
- Any other situation in which your child or your family has had a confirmed case or exposure to COVID-19.
- FOR HYBRID FAMILIES, LIMIT PARTICIPATION IN OTHER PROGRAMS - For the health of the Escondido community/staff/families, and at the direction of the County of Santa Clara, children in the hybrid program may participate in only one program outside of hybrid school (childcare program, after-school program or other child/youth activity) at a time and may not move from one program to another more than once every three weeks. This is to limit exposure between groups.
- NEED SPANISH TRANSLATORS FOR THE PTA - We would love to send out more notices in Spanish. VOLUNTEER HERE
- RECESS & LUNCH SUPERVISION STILL NEEDED!!!! - We REALLY need ENERGETIC volunteers for lunch and recess. Email John Di Cosmo if you plan to attend the zoom at email@example.com and use the google doc to sign up Once approved - hopefully you will be willing to sign up to help with the Sprouts Garden or run the art table during recess.
- SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOLS
- Check out the 2019-2020 Semester School Progress Report, which is available on Palo Alto’s Safe Routes to School Website.
- Bicycle Safety: Even during winter months, walking and biking to school, or other alternative learning arrangements, are a great way to get healthy exercise, talk with your kids, and ensure they have a healthy start to the school day. Click here for winter biking safety tips concerning lighting conditions, riding on wet leaves, blind turns and sunblind drivers. Please also remember or remind students to call the Palo Alto Police Department non-emergency number at (650) 329-2413 any time a collision involving a student, regardless of severity, occurs. All involved parties should remain at the scene until help arrives.
- WEDNESDAY ART CLASSES ON ZOOM IN SPANISH WITH ALEJANDRA: Reading and drawing with Ale (12 sessions) $240, 3pm to 3:45pm for kids 5 to 7 years old, from January 13 to March 31; Modern and Contemporaneous artists with Ale (12 sessions) $240, 4:15pm to 5pm for kids 8 to 10 years old, from January 13 to March 31. Minimum 6 students to open a class. Payments to Venmo @Alejandra-Hermandinger. For more information email AleVisualArts@gmail.com or call (650) 799-2464.
- RUN4FUN AFTER SCHOOL CAMPS: Begins January 11th. See https://www.runforfuncamps.com/ for details and registration.
- KIDS HIP-HOP “HI” WITH SANGINI, WINTER-SPRING 2021 - Boys and Girls: LIFE IS BETTER WHEN YOU DANCE!! Come join this SUPER FUN dance class, currently through Zoom until the situation allows in person. WE HAVE A BLAST!
- Day/Time: Mondays, 3:15pm-4pm*. *Recorded link is always offered when students are unable to attend live. Zoom link provided each week to attend class. Cost: Package of 9 Classes/$108; Drop-In Class $15/Class. PayPal firstname.lastname@example.org or Venmo Sangini Majmudar Bedner, (310) 497-9856. Questions? Contact Sangini: email@example.com
- NEED CHILDCARE BEFORE OR AFTER SCHOOL? Right At School still has space, is operating on Escondido campus and is maintaining stable 12 kid cohorts. https://rightatschool.com/
**UPDATE**SAVE CUBBERLEY - Call to Action
For 21 days during Black History Month, Palo Alto students, parents, staff and the community at large are encouraged to do one action each day beginning on February 1. The #PAEquityChallenge will provide online daily activities (brief readings, videos, etc.) that can be done in 15 minutes or less. Each daily topic will provide an opportunity to deepen our connections and further our understanding of power, privilege, oppression, and equity AND BELONGING. Please sign up and encourage others to do so as well! https://tinyurl.com/PAEquityChallenge
PTA/PTA Council News
**NEW** View the Facebook Live Event in Spanish on COVID-19 Vaccine:
COVID-19 Vaccine Community Forum, My Body, My Mind, My Wellness, My Community!
Nuevo: Evento en Español transmitido en vivo en Facebook para abordar las inquietu
The event addressed community concerns about the COVID-19 vaccine and included tips to avoid health, labor and social inequities and the psycho-emotional effects of the pandemic. The Spanish-speaking conversation included: A Stanford University infectious diseases associate professor, A County Health equity officer, A Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County representative and Mental health specialists. El evento abordó las preocupaciones de la comunidad sobre la vacuna COVID-19, con consejos para evitar las inequidades sociales, laborales y de salud y los efectos psicoemocionales de la pandemia. La conversación en español incluyó: un profesor asociado de enfermedades infecciosas de la Universidad de Stanford, un funcionario de equidad en salud del condado, un representante de la Sociedad de Ayuda Legal del Condado de San Mateo y especialistas en salud mental. @CountyofSanMateo Log into Facebook
2021 Annual CAC Sweetheart Awards - Call for Nominations
Is there a bus driver, friend, teacher, administrator, neighbor, aide, crossing guard, coach, fellow student, therapist, physician, volunteer or relative that has done something for your special needs child with an IEP or 504? Honor that person by nominating him or her for a CAC Sweetheart Award. Submit Nomination Form before February 19. The Awards Ceremony will be on Saturday, February 27, from 10am to noon on Zoom. The Zoom link will be emailed to nominators and nominees directly to retain privacy. For info or questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.cacpaloalto.org.
PTA Parent Series: Parenting in a Pandemic
Free online webinars for parenting in a pandemic, organized by 6th District PTA. Please CLICK HERE to register for any of the talks below. See all the workshops from now until March for the 6th District Parenting in a Pandemic. Next Upcoming workshops are:
- Parenting During the Pandemic: First, Adjust Your Own N95 Mask! Creating Happiness for You and Your Family - Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 7pm
- Supporting Children in our Changing World - Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 7pm
Palo Alto PTA Council Invites You to Policy Setting Sessions on Teen Vaping & Youth Health
February 23 and 25
The Palo Alto PTA Council successfully championed a 2020 CAPTA Resolution on Vaping: Resolution A. The Santa Clara County Health Department is holding policy setting sessions specific to PTA advocacy. If you have elementary and middle school aged children, please consider attending one of these sessions. Register here: eventbrite/ PTA Advocacy Sessions. These sessions are for those in leadership positions interested in advocacy at their school (Health & Wellness Representatives, VP Advocacy, VP Community Outreach). Press Release: PTA Announces Support for Measures That Prohibit E-Cigarette Questions? Please contact Jade Chao at email@example.com
Health and Wellness
Family Resources here: Health Wellness Updates /Resources
**NEW**Green Tip!: Take a Hike!
In honor of President's Day, celebrate the environmental legacy of presidents like Teddy Roosevelt, who established five national parks and 150 national forests. Look out for updated opening times and safety restrictions, leave no trace, and enjoy! Bay Area Hiker: Hiking with kids
School Holiday and Summer Camp Registration + Virtual Fair
ActivityHero has local, in-person camp schedules -- small groups and socially distanced -- for President's Day, Spring Break and Summer. You can also find online classes. Attend the Virtual Camp Fair on March 20 and get a chance to win a free week of camp. The PTA earns a percentage of your purchase when you book online with this link.
How To Make An Urban Bird Feeder hosted by Gamble Garden
Saturday, March 6, 10-11am via Zoom
Birds need to eat 365 days a year! Birdseed ornaments are a fun project to make year-round. They are perfect for a backyard bird feeder, as ornaments or gifts for teachers. They are made with ordinary cookie cutters, so you can easily customize your ornaments to suit the occasion. In this live, one-hour Zoom class, you will make your own bird feeder ornaments using unique seeds like black sunflower seeds, nyjer seeds, cracked corn, millet and mealworms. You will also learn about local bird species. Most supplies included and can be picked up at Gamble Garden. Fun for the entire family! Great class for Girl Scout Troops! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for group discount. Register Now: HOW TO MAKE AN URBAN BIRD FEEDER - ONLINE - Gamble Garden
Paly Robotics Summer Camp 2021
July 26 - July 30 and August 2 - August 6, 10am-3pm on Zoom
Paly Robotics Summer Camp is returning for 2021! Registration opens on January 30th at 12pm. Our camp is for middle school students (incoming 6th - 9th graders). We are committed to providing an engaging experience and hope to start future high school students on a path in STEAM. Campers will be able to sign up for one of four sessions each week: Robot Design & Hardware, Programming, Entrepreneurship & Website Design, Animation & Graphic Design. For more information, and to register, please visitpalyrobotics.com/summercamp/. If you have any further questions, contact us at email@example.com.
Action Team After School Program
Tuesday, February 23 - May 18, 4pm-5pm, Online
Action Team is an after-school leadership program for middle school students hosted by YCS. It combines service-learning and leadership training through participation in meaningful projects and activities. Students learn about topics such as environmental stewardship, civic engagement, health, hunger, and homelessness. Action Team includes speakers, service trips (when in person), leadership training, and team-building activities. All middle school students are welcome! Every semester is different, and students are encouraged to participate multiple times. For the 2021 Spring Term Action Team will meet on Tuesdays from 4:00-5:00pm online through Zoom running from February 23rd to May 18th. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration Form: https://forms.gle/Kd7aHwQkPohVhXat6. Please note that there is a $120 fee and scholarships are available upon request.
Service Hub is a self-paced program for youth to engage in meaningful service to others. Members have access to service kits totaling 5, 10, or 15 hours as well as support from YCS staff through their three-month membership. Each member is able to complete up to 15 hours of service per month, totaling 45 hours for the three-month membership. Members are not required to complete a minimum number of hours, though every member is required to complete at least one module project during their three-month membership. Every week there will be optional trainings and check ins with a YCS staff. Contact: email@example.com. Registration Form: https://forms.gle/HzGheRuz4uDuJ2t66. Please note that there is a $90 fee which can be waived for students with a demonstrated financial hardship.
2021 Palo Alto Speech and Debate Camp Online
June 7-11 and June 14-18: Speech from 10am-12pm, Debate from 1pm-3pm
Registration for the seventeenth annual 2021 Palo Alto Speech and Debate Camp (PASDC) will be open on December 1st, 2020. Taught by Palo Alto’s nationally ranked high school Speech and Debate team, our 4:1 student-to-counselor ratio provides students with individualized attention and support. PASDC’s basic and advanced programs offer customized curriculum for campers of all experience levels and prepare students for high school level competition. To ensure the safety of our campers, we will be planning for a full virtual camp like the previous year, with counselors who are experienced with the online platform. Please visit our website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the program.