IMPORTANT DATES AND REMINDERS
- FEBRUARY IS AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH
- Join Us in Registering for the PAUSD 21 Day Equity Challenge!! - For 21 days participate in engaging, thought provoking activities to develop a deeper understanding how racism and inequity affect our lives and our community. Free to participate! JOIN HERE
- Join the Escondido group for community participation.
- Wednesday, February 10 is COHORT B
- Monday, February 15 - PRESIDENTS' DAY - No School
- YEARBOOK COVER DESIGN CONTEST Begins Now! We need your students to draw the yearbook cover! The theme is: Friends Around the Zoom. Drawings are due by February 19, 2021, and all will be included in the yearbook. A design will be selected for front and another for the back. Let your imagination soar! More details here.
- PICTURE DAYS! February 23 & 24 - Details to follow.
- Get Ready for the ESCONDIDO TALENT SHOW...For the Love of the Show!
- Check-out our new website and learn how this year's show will be all online and super special!
- HYBRID FAMILIES: Please help us keep our students and staff safe from exposure to COVID-19. Our safety depends on parents to notify and be honest about their activities and exposure. PLEASE NOTIFY YOUR TEACHER AND THE OFFICE IF:
- Your child travels more than 150 miles;
- Any of the programs your child participates in has had a COVID exposure so your child is a close contact;
- Anyone in your family has been diagnosed or received a positive COVID-19 test;
- Any other situation in which your child or your family has had a confirmed case or exposure to COVID-19.
- REGISTRATION for 2020-2021 - Registration began January 4, 2021. Families with children who are not currently enrolled with PAUSD, and want to enroll a child to attend a PAUSD school starting in August 2021, must follow all the instructions at the PAUSD Enrollment web site starting on January 4: www.pausd.org/Enrollment. If you have any questions about if you should enroll your child, please send an email to RegistrationServices@pausd.org.
- FOR HYBRID FAMILIES, LIMIT PARTICIPATION IN OTHER PROGRAMS - For the health of the Escondido community/staff/families, and at the direction of the County of Santa Clara, children in the hybrid program may participate in only one program outside of hybrid school (childcare program, after-school program or other child/youth activity) at a time and may not move from one program to another more than once every three weeks. This is to limit exposure between groups.
- RECESS & LUNCH SUPERVISION STILL NEEDED!!!! - We REALLY need volunteers for lunch and recess. Email John Di Cosmo if you plan to attend the zoom at firstname.lastname@example.org and use the google doc to sign up
- WEDNESDAY ART CLASSES ON ZOOM IN SPANISH WITH ALEJANDRA: Reading and drawing with Ale (12 sessions) $240, 3pm to 3:45pm for kids 5 to 7 years old, from January 13 to March 31; Modern and Contemporaneous artists with Ale (12 sessions) $240, 4:15pm to 5pm for kids 8 to 10 years old, from January 13 to March 31. Minimum 6 students to open a class. Payments to Venmo @Alejandra-Hermandinger. For more information email AleVisualArts@gmail.com or call (650) 799-2464.
- RUN4FUN AFTER SCHOOL CAMPS: Begins January 11th. See https://www.runforfuncamps.com/ for details and registration.
- KIDS HIP-HOP “HI” WITH SANGINI, WINTER-SPRING 2021 - Boys and Girls: LIFE IS BETTER WHEN YOU DANCE!! Come join this SUPER FUN dance class, currently through Zoom until the situation allows in person. WE HAVE A BLAST!
- Day/Time: Mondays, 3:15pm-4pm*. *Recorded link is always offered when students are unable to attend live. Zoom link provided each week to attend class. Cost: Package of 9 Classes/$108; Drop-In Class $15/Class. PayPal email@example.com or Venmo Sangini Majmudar Bedner, (310) 497-9856. Questions? Contact Sangini: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NEED CHILDCARE BEFORE OR AFTER SCHOOL? Right At School still has space, is operating on Escondido campus and is maintaining stable 12 kid cohorts. https://rightatschool.com/
SAVE CUBBERLEY - Call to Action
Cubberley is part of the history of Palo Alto and many of us have enjoyed using these facilities including our youngest students at Greendell - PreSchool Family and several other pre-schools on campus. Cubberley also houses our district post-secondary classes for students in special education, family sports and arts activities, and social activities and classes for seniors in our community to enjoy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) is aggressively seeking to acquire permanent easements spanning about half an acre at Cubberley. Without any meaningful discussions with PAUSD or the City of Palo Alto (the entities that own Cubberley), PG&E has unilaterally determined that Cubberley is the only suitable space to conduct testing of its natural gas pipeline running under Middlefield Road. This pipeline in fact runs for 23 miles from Milpitas to Crystal Springs.
Please help us, by signing this petition, to show PG&E that Cubberley is too valuable to this community and that they should look elsewhere along their 23-mile pipeline!
For 21 days during Black History Month, Palo Alto students, parents, staff and the community at large are encouraged to do one action each day beginning on February 1. The #PAEquityChallenge will provide online daily activities (brief readings, videos, etc.) that can be done in 15 minutes or less. Each daily topic will provide an opportunity to deepen our connections and further our understanding of power, privilege, oppression, and equity AND BELONGING. Please sign up and encourage others to do so as well! https://tinyurl.com/PAEquityChallenge
PTA/PTA Council News
**NEW** 2021 Palo Alto Chinese New Year Zoom Fair (Virtual)
Saturday, February 13, 2pm-3:30pm
Palo Alto Chinese Community is cordially inviting you and your family to celebrate 2021 Chinese New Year, the Year of the Ox. A great opportunity for you and your family to learn dumpling making, Taichi and win a lucky Red Envelope. If you are dumpling making pro, time to show your skill and enter dumpling competition. To check out more click http://www.wizchinese.org/cny-fair Co-sponsored by the PTA Council.
2021 Annual CAC Sweetheart Awards - Call for Nominations
Is there a bus driver, friend, teacher, administrator, neighbor, aide, crossing guard, coach, fellow student, therapist, physician, volunteer or relative that has done something for your special needs child with an IEP or 504? Honor that person by nominating him or her for a CAC Sweetheart Award. Submit Nomination Form before February 19. The Awards Ceremony will be on Saturday, February 27, from 10am to noon on Zoom. The Zoom link will be emailed to nominators and nominees directly to retain privacy. For info or questions contact email@example.com or go to www.cacpaloalto.org.
PTA Parent Series: Parenting in a Pandemic
Free online webinars for parenting in a pandemic, organized by 6th District PTA. Please CLICK HERE to register for any of the talks below. See all the workshops from now until March for the 6th District Parenting in a Pandemic. Next Upcoming workshops are:
- Improving Family Life While Working at Home - Thursday, February 11, 2021, 7pm
- Parenting During the Pandemic: First, Adjust Your Own N95 Mask! Creating Happiness for You and Your Family - Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 7pm
- Supporting Children in our Changing World - Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 7pm
Palo Alto PTA Council Invites You to Policy Setting Sessions on Teen Vaping & Youth Health
February 23 and 25
The Palo Alto PTA Council successfully championed a 2020 CAPTA Resolution on Vaping: Resolution A. The Santa Clara County Health Department is holding policy setting sessions specific to PTA advocacy. If you have elementary and middle school aged children, please consider attending one of these sessions. Register here: eventbrite/ PTA Advocacy Sessions. These sessions are for those in leadership positions interested in advocacy at their school (Health & Wellness Representatives, VP Advocacy, VP Community Outreach). Press Release: PTA Announces Support for Measures That Prohibit E-Cigarette Questions? Please contact Jade Chao at firstname.lastname@example.org
Health and Wellness
Family Resources here: Health Wellness Updates /Resources
**NEW**Green Tip!: Show Your Love Sustainably
For this Valentine’s Day, giving experiences can be just as valuable, if not more, than stuff. You can also opt for Fair Trade chocolates, pesticide-free flowers, and conflict-free diamonds. Finally, share some baked goods or get crafty with homemade, recycled Valentines. Everybody say love!
**NEW**School Holiday & Summer Camp Registration + Virtual Fair
ActivityHero has local, in-person camp schedules -- small groups and socially distanced -- for President's Day, Spring Break and Summer. You can also find online classes. Attend the Virtual Camp Fair on March 20 and get a chance to win a free week of camp. The PTA earns a percentage of your purchase when you book online with this link.
HOW TO MAKE AN URBAN BIRD FEEDER hosted by Gamble Garden
Saturday, March 6, 10-11am via Zoom
Birds need to eat 365 days a year! Birdseed ornaments are a fun project to make year-round. They are perfect for a backyard bird feeder, as ornaments or gifts for teachers. They are made with ordinary cookie cutters, so you can easily customize your ornaments to suit the occasion. In this live, one-hour Zoom class, you will make your own bird feeder ornaments using unique seeds like black sunflower seeds, nyjer seeds, cracked corn, millet and mealworms. You will also learn about local bird species. Most supplies included and can be picked up at Gamble Garden. Fun for the entire family! Great class for Girl Scout Troops! Email email@example.com for group discount. Register Now: HOW TO MAKE AN URBAN BIRD FEEDER - ONLINE - Gamble Garden
Help Students Who Need You Most
You can make a difference in the life of a student. Over 80 percent of East Palo Alto and eastern Menlo Park students are performing below grade level in reading and math. As a classroom volunteer, you will work with the same teacher and student for one hour, every week during the full school year. It’s an opportunity to build a relationship with a student and impact his or her life. All Students Matter provides training and coordinates logistics with you and your schedule in mind. Sign up now and start mid-September. Learn more about us or sign up to volunteer at All Students Matter believes every child deserves an equal opportunity to learn. Volunteers work with teachers to support the education of students in eastern Menlo Park and East Palo Alto.
Paly Robotics Summer Camp 2021
July 26 - July 30 and August 2 - August 6, 10am-3pm on Zoom
Paly Robotics Summer Camp is returning for 2021! Registration opens on January 30th at 12pm. Our camp is for middle school students (incoming 6th - 9th graders). We are committed to providing an engaging experience and hope to start future high school students on a path in STEAM. Campers will be able to sign up for one of four sessions each week: Robot Design & Hardware, Programming, Entrepreneurship & Website Design, Animation & Graphic Design. For more information, and to register, please visitpalyrobotics.com/summercamp/. If you have any further questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Palo Alto Players Presents: THE LAST FIVE YEARS
January 29 through February 14, 2021
Palo Alto Players continues its 90th season with the award-winning off-Broadway musical THE LAST FIVE YEARS. Starring real-life married couple Chris and Marah Sotelo, this intimate and alluring musical by modern theatre icon Jason Robert Brown chronicles the five year relationship of a young couple whose path takes them in different directions – in more ways than one. THE LAST FIVE YEARS will be filmed live on stage and available as an on-demand video stream. Streaming tickets, starting at $25 per household, are on sale now at paplayers.org or by phone at 650.329.0891.
Approximate Running Time: 90 minutes (no intermission)
Age Recommendation: Age 16 and up
Action Team After School Program
Tuesday, February 23 - May 18, 4pm-5pm, Online
Action Team is an after-school leadership program for middle school students hosted by YCS. It combines service-learning and leadership training through participation in meaningful projects and activities. Students learn about topics such as environmental stewardship, civic engagement, health, hunger, and homelessness. Action Team includes speakers, service trips (when in person), leadership training, and team-building activities. All middle school students are welcome! Every semester is different, and students are encouraged to participate multiple times. For the 2021 Spring Term Action Team will meet on Tuesdays from 4:00-5:00pm online through Zoom running from February 23rd to May 18th. Contact: email@example.com. Registration Form: https://forms.gle/Kd7aHwQkPohVhXat6. Please note that there is a $120 fee and scholarships are available upon request.
Service Hub is a self-paced program for youth to engage in meaningful service to others. Members have access to service kits totaling 5, 10, or 15 hours as well as support from YCS staff through their three-month membership. Each member is able to complete up to 15 hours of service per month, totaling 45 hours for the three-month membership. Members are not required to complete a minimum number of hours, though every member is required to complete at least one module project during their three-month membership. Every week there will be optional trainings and check ins with a YCS staff. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration Form: https://forms.gle/HzGheRuz4uDuJ2t66. Please note that there is a $90 fee which can be waived for students with a demonstrated financial hardship.
2021 Palo Alto Speech and Debate Camp Online
June 7-11 and June 14-18: Speech from 10am-12pm, Debate from 1pm-3pm
Registration for the seventeenth annual 2021 Palo Alto Speech and Debate Camp (PASDC) will be open on December 1st, 2020. Taught by Palo Alto’s nationally ranked high school Speech and Debate team, our 4:1 student-to-counselor ratio provides students with individualized attention and support. PASDC’s basic and advanced programs offer customized curriculum for campers of all experience levels and prepare students for high school level competition. To ensure the safety of our campers, we will be planning for a full virtual camp like the previous year, with counselors who are experienced with the online platform. Please visit our website or contact email@example.com to learn more about the program.