IMPORTANT DATES AND REMINDERS
- Wednesday, March 10 - COHORT B day
- Friday, March 12 at 8:30am - All New ESCONDIDO SPOKEN WORD Event. We are very excited to let you know about a special event we have organized to continue the celebration of Black History Month and share an amazing literary experience with our school! We will be hosting Jamey Williams, who will be sharing some of his poetry along with tips from his workshops where he teaches young people how to express themselves through their personal experiences and imagination. Once again, the workshop will take place at 8:30am on Friday, March 12. Parents are also welcome to join the fun with the children. The Zoom link will be distributed in Schoology through your kid's class.
- Thursday, March 18 - PICTURE DAY MAKE-UPS! If you missed the first picture day and want to be included in the class photos and yearbook - Join us on Thursday, March 18th. Order pictures at apvisions.com Access Code EEF20
- 2:00-2:30 (Last Name A-G)
- 2:30 - 3:00 (Last Name H-O)
- 3:00-3:30 (Last Name P-Z)
- PRE-ORDER A YEARBOOK! Get a keepsake for this unprecedented year with a class montage of all of your classmates, fun snapshots and a record of all of the 5th graders with their custom pages! Only $20! BUY TODAY!
- ATTENTION 5th GRADE PARENTS - WE NEED YOU to represent and add Escondido culture to Greene programs. Please consider joining the Greene PTA Board. CLICK HERE if interested!
- ATTENTION ALL ESCONDIDO FAMILIES - Get Involved with the PTA!
- We need a few new people to join the Board next year - VOLUNTEER HERE
- HYBRID FAMILIES: Please help us keep our students and staff safe from exposure to COVID-19. Our safety depends on parents to notify and be honest about their activities and exposure. PLEASE NOTIFY YOUR TEACHER AND THE OFFICE IF:
- Your child travels more than 150 miles from home;
- Any of the programs your child participates in has had a COVID exposure so your child is a close contact;
- Anyone in your family has been diagnosed or received a positive COVID-19 test;
- Any other situation in which your child or your family has had a confirmed case or exposure to COVID-19.
- SCIENCE FAIR IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER - Help plan this year’s events! VOLUNTEER HERE
- RECESS & LUNCH SUPERVISION STILL NEEDED!!!! - We REALLY need ENERGETIC volunteers for lunch and recess. Email John Di Cosmo if you plan to attend the zoom at email@example.com and use the google doc to sign up Once approved - hopefully you will be willing to sign up to help with the Sprouts Garden or run the art table during recess.
- SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOLS
- Bicycle Safety: In accordance with Dr. Austin's 9/11/2020 e-News message: "This year’s [SRTS] program will continue on schedule with modifications to support distance learning and safe social distancing guidelines." This year's Bike/Ped Safety Education Schedule reads as follows: March, 2021: K-2: Pedestrian Safety. April, 2021: Grade 3: Bicycle Life Skills Pt. 1 and Pt. 2: May, 2021 Grade 5: Bike Safety Online Refresher and 8th Grade Getting to High School. PAUSD Bike Rodeos will be delayed until Fall, 2021. All activities will be conducted virtually and will be available to students enrolled in both hybrid and distance learning models.
- Partners in Education: The PiE Survey Is Here
Each spring, we ask for your feedback to guide our decision-making for the next year. This year's survey is now available - please check your email inbox. It only takes a couple of minutes. We want to hear from you!
PTA/PTA Council News
**NEW**2e Self Advocacy Panel—Help Your Student Understand Their Brain, and Help Their Teachers Understand It, Too! (For parents of K-12 students)
Monday, March 29, 7-8:30pm, Zoom info sent the day before the event
Twice-exceptional, or 2e, students have exceptional talents and experience learning challenges such as autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, dyslexia, anxiety, and more.Knowing how your brain learns is touted as one of the most important skills 2e students should develop. Explore the prerequisites to self-advocacy, discover how to help students understand what their brain needs to succeed at school, learn specific developmentally-appropriate techniques to try with your 2e learners, and gain skills to help you and your child communicate with educators about your child’s needs. Sponsored by Palo Alto CAC (CAC Palo Alto), Palo Alto Council of PTAs (https://ptac.paloaltopta.org/ )and REEL (www.reelpaloalto.org)
**NEW**PTAC Environmental Action Committee
Green Tip! Zero Waste Lunches. Refill and Reuse to cut down waste! Pack lunches in reusable containers suchs as: beeswax wrap, thermoses, silicon storage bags, bento and lunch boxes. Use refillable containers for smaller portions of yogurt, fruit, juice, chips and crackers. Bring your own stainless or bamboo cutlery, cloth napkins and reusable water bottles.
PTA Council Seeks Volunteers
The PTA Council Nominating Committee is currently seeking expressions of interest from individuals in the community who would like to learn more about becoming a member of the PTA Council Executive Board for the 2021-22 school year. We are looking for community members who have a passion for improving the educational experience of all students and preferably have experience on their school PTA or site council. Talk to us about stepping into a leadership role or how you can participate on a committee. Contact the Nominating Committee at : firstname.lastname@example.org
PTA Parent Series: Parenting in a Pandemic
Free online webinars for parenting in a pandemic, organized by 6th District PTA. Please CLICK HERE to register for any of the talks below. See all the workshops from now until March for the 6th District Parenting in a Pandemic. Next Upcoming workshops are:
- Tackling Technology - Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 6pm
Well-Balanced Student - Thursday, March 18, 2021, 7pm
Health and Wellness
California State PTA COVID-19 Resources: https://www.pta.org/home/family-resources/coronavirus-information
Free COVID-19 Testing in Palo Alto: https://www.cityofpaloalto.org/services/public_safety/plans_and_information/coronavirus/testing.asp
Family Resources here: Health Wellness Resources
**NEW**2021 Palo Alto Speech and Debate Camp Online
June 7-11 and June 14-18, Speech from 10am-12pm and Debate from 1pm-3pm
Registration for the seventeenth annual 2021 Palo Alto Speech and Debate Camp (PASDC) is open! Year after year, elementary and middle schoolers leave PASDC with improved public speaking, research skills, critical thinking abilities, and self-confidence. Taught by Palo Alto’s nationally ranked high school Speech and Debate team, our unmatchable 4:1 student-to-counselor ratio provides students with individualized attention and support. PASDC’s basic and advanced programs offer customized curriculum for campers of all experience levels and prepare students for high school level competition. To ensure the safety of our campers, we will be planning for a full virtual camp like the previous year, with counselors who are experienced with the online platform. Please visit our website or contact email@example.com to learn more about the program.
**NEW**Help Students Who Need You Most - Learn about All Students Matter on March 25
Thursday, March 25, 10am
Come learn about volunteering next school year, once a week in a K-8th grade classroom in eastern Menlo Park and East Palo Alto. Over 80% of East Palo Alto and eastern Menlo Park students are performing below grade level in reading and math. As a classroom volunteer, you will work with the same teacher and student for one hour, every week during the full school year. It’s an opportunity to build a relationship with a student and impact his or her life. All Students Matter provides training and coordinates logistics with you and your schedule in mind. Hear about the impact you can have by joining us virtually for an Information Session at (zoom invitation sent pending RSVP to Keri@allstudentsmatter.org). Learn more about us or sign up to volunteer at www.allstudentsmatter.org
**NEW**Summer Camp Fair
Saturday, March 20, 10:00-11:00am
Meet summer camps at the Virtual Camp Fair on March 20. Join online to hear their plans for in-person summer camps. RSVP and you'll get a chance to win a free week of camp!
**NEW**Summer & Spring Break Camps -
ActivityHero has local, in-person camp schedules -- small groups and socially distanced -- for Spring Break and Summer. You can also find online classes. The PTA earns a percentage of your purchase when you book online with this link.
Acterra's “Promise to Our Planet” Online Climate Action Benefit
Saturday, March 26, 5-8pm
This event will bring awareness to the urgent need for climate action and shine a light on how our very own Bay Area community is shaping and leading the fight. Please join us on Hopin (an online platform) for an evening that combines the presentation of this year's Spare the Air Leadership Award (sponsored by the Bay Area Air District) with a not-to-be-missed show of inspiring guest speakers, breakout sessions, music, and much more. To register, visit our event page at https://www.acterra.org/promise.
Paly Robotics Summer Camp 2021
July 26 - July 30 and August 2 - August 6, 10am-3pm on Zoom
Paly Robotics Summer Camp is returning for 2021! Registration opens on January 30th at 12pm. Our camp is for middle school students (incoming 6th - 9th graders). We are committed to providing an engaging experience and hope to start future high school students on a path in STEAM. Campers will be able to sign up for one of four sessions each week: Robot Design & Hardware, Programming, Entrepreneurship & Website Design, Animation & Graphic Design. For more information, and to register, please visitpalyrobotics.com/summercamp/. If you have any further questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.