IMPORTANT DATES AND REMINDERS
- 5th GRADE PROMOTION WILL BE ON CAMPUS ON JUNE 2! Make sure to RSVP via ParentSquare for your seat.
- ORDER A YEARBOOK! - ONLY 37 LEFT! DON’T DELAY - BUY TODAY! Get a keepsake for this unprecedented year with a class montage of all of your classmates, fun snapshots and a record of all of the 5th graders with their custom pages! Only $20! https://2020-2021-escondido-yearbook.cheddarup.com
- THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR SPOILING OUR TEACHERS DURING TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK! Here are some of the PTA pictures of snacks and door decorations during the week. https://photos.app.goo.gl/7sniuqx7ANq9e9Yd8 Thank you parents for the Staff appreciation fund. We were able to give appreciation gifts to the office staff, all 3 custodians, Ms. Lea, Mr. D, Ms. Nina and Ms. Hermandinger. ALL of the staff will be receiving our custom presents at the end of the year as promised!
- TEACHER & STAFF FRIDAY TREATS - Attention Parents!! The teachers and staff have LOVED Friday Treats! At this time everything has to be restaurant or store prepared. Each grade will host a day where they can thank all Escondido staff and teachers in their own special way. Have fun with your week - make it your own and be creative! The schedule is as follows:
- 3rd Grade - May 14
- 4th Grade - May 21
- 5th Grade - May 28
- HYBRID FAMILIES: Please help us keep our students and staff safe from exposure to COVID-19. Our safety depends on parents to notify and be honest about their activities and exposure. PLEASE NOTIFY YOUR TEACHER AND THE OFFICE IF:
- Any of the programs your child participates in has had a COVID exposure so your child is a close contact;
- Anyone in your family has been diagnosed or received a positive COVID-19 test;
- Any other situation in which your child or your family has had a confirmed case or exposure to COVID-19.
- RECESS & LUNCH SUPERVISION STILL NEEDED!!!! - Are you vaccinated and have 1 hour a week you can come to school and help out? WE REALLY REALLY NEED RECESS/LUNCH VOLUNTEERS!!! Email John Di Cosmo if you plan to attend the zoom at firstname.lastname@example.org and use the google doc to sign up HERE.
- AVAILABLE PTA BOARD POSITIONS FOR 2021-2022: We still need more really important volunteers to make serving on the PTA Board a reasonable amount of work. Please reach out to email@example.com if you are interested in potentially joining the PTA Board Next year. Below are the most crucial roles we are hoping to fill:
- Konstella Administrator: Set up Konstella and help administer during the year. (Tech savvy person helpful)
- Executive Vice President: Potential successor to the president and back up for the president.
- Historian: Create the PTA calendar and make sure the district office has all the information for on campus events to be covered for PTA insurance. (Primarily summer responsibility and beginning of school year, very light position)
- Auditor: Complete an audit of our books twice a year.
- Parliamentarian: Keep track of bylaws, and following meeting rules
- Website Administrator: Update our PTA website for the beginning of the school year with the back to school packet information. Occasionally upload new documents to the website as they change or are updated during the year.
Advanced Authentic Research (AAR) Needs Mentors for 2021-22!
AAR gives high school students in grades 10-12 a capstone project opportunity to explore and conduct original research in a topic of their choosing in a supportive, personalized environment. We need continued support in recruiting a strong pipeline of volunteer mentors. Topics include STEAM, Humanities, Business, and Social Science. Would you be willing to devote a few hours per month mentoring one or two students? Your interactions with the students can be through multiple platforms including virtual meeting space, emails, etc. For more info or to sign up, Click here. Or there are other options for involvement, including guest speaker and industry expert advisor.
Biking or Driving to School Again?
Please see Palo Alto's Walk and Roll Suggested Route Maps for walking or biking to school safe routes. When driving, please share the road, providing 3 feet of passing distance to bicyclists. Park away from the school to avoid drop-off/pickup congestion and get a healthy walk in. For more educational resources, please click: Safe Routes to School website. Current 3rd families, please consider registering for a one-hour Third Grade Socially Distanced Bike Rodeo Summer Series event.
Rising 6th grade middle school families should consider signing up for Wheelkids Middle School Bike Skills Classes.
PTA/PTA Council News
Date Announced for Memorial
The memorial for Gabriel Conway is planned for Sunday, May 16 at 5:30 PM. You may make Donations to the “Gabrielle Conway Memorial Scholarship“ fund to :
PAUSD Business Office
25 Churchill Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94306
Our dear friend and colleague Gabrielle Conway passed away on March 31 after a long battle with cancer. Gabriellecontributed so much to our family of PTAs, and her loss is immeasurable. She served as a parent volunteer at Walter Hays, Jordan/Greene, Paly, and on the PTA Council as VP of Communications for many years. She was a recipient of a PTAC Honorary Service Award for her tireless work on revamping and streamlining the communications piece for all 17 PTAs. Gabrielle led many committees and training sessions, and offered support and advice to many other parent volunteers. She was a leader and team player, and professional and friendly every step of the way. She was a constant advocate for our students, and she will be genuinely missed.
3rd Annual Family Leadership Summit – 2021 Series
Saturday, May 15, Day 3: Building Future Leaders, 9am–12:45pm
PAUSD is excited to bring the community together for learning by hosting the 3rd Annual Family Leadership Summit! This year's theme "Unity Through Learning" aims to do just that; bring the community together during these trying times with three days of engaged learning opportunities. This is a fully virtual event. On the morning of the event, links will go live for the Keynote Speaker and all Breakout Presentations, RSVP to ensure you get the communications. See www.pausdfamilies.org for more information and sign-up to attend!
Health and Wellness
COVID Information for Spanish Speakers
Please click on the following links for Free COVID vaccines CLICK HERE
Spanish language forum: “COVID-19 Vaccine: My Wellness, My Community!”
Learn more about important vaccine topics. Pre-recorded in Spanish El Foro Comunitario: Vacuna COVID-19
**NEW**Stanford Basketball Camp
June 14-17 (Monday-Thursday)
The Stanford Men's Basketball staff is excited to introduce its inaugural skills academy, open to all rising 3rd through 7th graders!
Session 1: 9-11:30a
Session 2: 1-3:30p
This format allows us to meet the capacity requirements we face due to COVID-19 protocols while still providing each camper with high level, focused, and fun instruction.
For registration and additional information, please click HERE.
**NEW** Understanding the Asian American and Pacific Islander Experience
Thursday, May 13, 20 and 27: 6:30 - 8:00 PM
This series will feature a diverse group of AAPI leaders and community members from across the country.
The discussions will provide a foundation for understanding our diverse AAPI community, discussing its culture and history, origins of prejudice and violence, and notions of identity within the AAPI community.
Virtual, free and open to the public. Sponsored by SCC Superintendent Joe Simitian and AACI (Asian Americans for Community Involvement). Register athttps://www.sccgov.org/sites/d5/5thDistrict/Pages/UnderstandingAAPI.aspx or tinyurl.com/understandingAAPI
**NEW** City of Palo Alto Youth Services Budget Cuts--Complete the Palo Alto Budget Survey to Make Your Voice Heard
The City of Palo Alto released its proposed 2022 budget, which includes cuts to many services that our students may use, such as crossing guard services, libraries, sports and recreation programming/classes, Children's Theater, the Teen Center, and Art Center programming and classes. There are numerous other proposed cuts that will affect services for all residents. Take the City of Palo Alto Budget Survey to give your feedback.
**NEW**Green Tip! Free E-waste Recycling Event
Saturday, May 15, 9am-3pm
Ohlone Green Team is hosting an E-waste drive at their school parking lot, 950 Amarillo Ave, Palo Alto. It's open to the public; masks and social distancing are required. For a list of what items will be accepted, check out http://www.ajelectronicrecycling.com/ PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANYTHING ON THE UNACCEPTED LIST - a fine will be incurred otherwise. Anyone with a TV or monitor will need to fill out a form before dropping their item off at the event. FORM FOUND HERE
Bike to Wherever Day
Friday, May 21
Bike Everywhere Day. Join Us for Bike Month and Bike to Wherever Day! Have fun and win prizes! Sign up HERE https://bikesiliconvalley.org/btwd/
Learn About South Palo Alto Bike Path Plans
The City of Palo Alto is undertaking an effort to improve bicycling along East Meadow Drive, Fabian Way, and the Waverley Bike Path in South Palo Alto. These corridors serve as key walk-and-roll routes for students traveling to multiple schools and connect the community to the new Highway 101 Pedestrian/Bike Bridge Project at Adobe Creek, as well as other Palo Alto communities. Join us for a series of upcoming virtual events to share your input and learn more about potential bikeway enhancements under consideration. Register and get more info at cityofpaloalto.org/Bikeways.
- Introductory Webinar – Thursday, May 13 @ 6:30 PM
- Virtual Route Tour 1 – Saturday, May 22 @ 11:00 AM
- Virtual Route Tour 2 – Thursday, May 27 @ 6:30 PM
- Engagement Summary – Tuesday, June 22 @ 6:30 PM
Re-Entry for Our Youth: Supporting Our Kids’ Transition Back to ‘Normal’
CLICK HERE to listen to podcast
As more and more people are vaccinated and COVID restrictions ease, the time has come for us to figure out how to re-enter the world. According to a report from the American Psychological Association (APA), about half of Americans are feeling anxious about re-entry after sheltering in place for so long. In this podcast episode, we sat down with licensed clinical psychologist and CHC’s Chief Clinical Officer, Dr. Ramsey Khasho, to talk about how to ease our way back into the world and support our kids in that process.
Ragazzi Boys Chorus Welcomes Boys Who Love to Sing
Online auditions scheduled conveniently. SingFest mini-camp on two dates: 10am on Saturday, June 5 and August 28, 2021
GRAMMY award-winning Ragazzi Boys Chorus seeks boys aged 7-10 who love to sing. Curriculum focuses on music theory, vocal technique, artistry, musicianship, and performance skills. With our innovative Ragazzi Virtual Studio online format, we make music throughout the year. Age 5-7, are invited to join our Music and Movement class, beginning in September. 6-12th graders who have past choral experience may apply for an audition with the faculty of our advanced groups. Register for SingFest HERE
Click HERE for inquiries or to schedule an audition, visit . Learn more about Ragazzi, and register to view upcoming performances, at Ragazzi Boys Chorus | One of the Bay Area's premier arts organizations.
Positive Parenting During COVID by Stanford Medicine
Friday, May 21 and Pre-recorded Videos
Stanford Medicine presents an online series of recordings:
CLICK HERE to view the recordings or register for upcoming webinars
Summer Openings at PACCC for Elementary Students
Check out PACCC Summer Programs Openings at:
Each site will have stable cohorts; children will not commingle with other cohorts. Children will have ample outdoor time each day and daily enrichment opportunities! Sign up for an open spot by filling out the Enrollment Application form and paying the fee, which covers processing costs. After completing the enrollment application and paying the fee, our Directors will be in touch! If you sign up for a center with no openings, you will be placed on the waitlist. Questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. PACCC Programs are vigilant in maintaining safety protocols, including maintaining stable cohorts and physical distancing as much as possible. 77% of our school-age educators within our agency have been vaccinated.
iSing Silicon Valley
Now auditioning girls entering grades 1–5 for our 2021–22 season! iSing is an internationally award-winning choir based in Palo Alto serving more than 300 girls in 1st-12th grades. If you love to sing, iSing is the perfect place for you to discover and develop your passion for music! Our critically acclaimed program provides girls with an exemplary music education in a creative, supportive, and fun environment. We are dedicated to our mission: Champion Girls as Artists. Inspire Self-Discovery. Transform Lives. To sign up for an audition, visit us at www.isingsv.com. We look forward to singing with you soon! See our AMAZING girls in ACTION!