LAST 3 DAYS!!! DONATE TO PTA! Ends SEPTEMBER 30th at midnight!
PTA is in the process of helping teachers prepare for on-campus return by purchasing safety supplies (touch free thermometers and extra face masks, etc.). Kids will have an ice cream party in their cohorts once all grades are back on campus to celebrate our fundraiser. The class with the most families participating will get a prize! EVERY DONATION COUNTS! GET A SCOOP FOR YOUR CLASS!
Donate at https://2020escondido-pta.cheddarup.com
IMPORTANT DATES AND REMINDERS
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS!!
- FAMILY MATH NIGHT - Rescheduled to October and will be a virtual event with some hands on activities and hand/outs. VOLUNTEER HERE
- CAMPUS GARDENS COMMITTEE - Clean up Escondido’s gardens on the weekends prior to coming to campus. VOLUNTEER HERE
- COVID SUPPLY COORDINATOR - Help PTA support teachers and staff by purchasing (reimbursed) and distributing health safety supplies for classrooms in preparation of return and on an ongoing as needed basis. VOLUNTEER HERE
- PREPARE CAMPUS FOR RETURN - Volunteer to update the campus marquee, decorate billboards and generally make the campus inviting for kids and entering kindergarteners! VOLUNTEER HERE
- WALK & ROLL WEEK - With return to campus we need to communicate safe routes to school and encourage walking and biking. VOLUNTEER HERE to help our Event Coordinator.
- NOON ART/RECESS COMMITTEE - Help come up with fun solutions for recess when the kids return to campus. We will work with administration to see what is allowed and then do our best to implement fun alternative play areas for different cohorts. Will be mainly planning and getting materials and not volunteering on campus. VOLUNTEER HERE
- YOGA & MINDFULNESS WITH SHEILA - Monday mornings at 8am. Open to all Escondido students - Zoom: https://pausd.zoom.us/j/92280179262
- SITE COUNCIL MEETING
- Monday, October 5
- Monday, October 26, 3:15pm
- SPECIAL PAUSD BOARD MEETING, Tuesday, September 29 at 6pm. Hear from Health Experts at the next PAUSD Board Meeting - The Santa Clara County Public Health Department (SCCPHD) and Assistant Health Officer and Communicable Disease Controller, Monika Roy, will walk us through the science behind their guidance and explain some of their implementation recommendations. Alison M. Kerr is the Chief Administrative Officer, Clinical Operations, and Vice President, Orthopedics and Neurosciences Service Lines at Stanford Health Care. She will discuss a potential partnership between PAUSD and Stanford to test staff members for COVID twice per month at District sites.
See the AGENDA, Reopening Plan Materials and Escondido Health Safety Plan by going here - https://go.boarddocs.com/ca/pausd/Board.nsf/Public
Listen to the meeting live at 6 p.m. here: Via Video Conference/Internet: https://pausd.zoom.us/j/96119564675 Via Telephone: Dial 669-900-6833, enter Webinar ID: 961 1956 4675, then press #.
- KINDER and 1st GRADE PARENTS DECISION DUE - Wednesday, September 30 at 5pm - Pending Board approval on September 29, Palo Alto Unified School District will offer options of either hybrid (in-person) or full distance (at-home) learning beginning Oct. 12 for grades Young 5,TK, K, 1. Parents/Guardians must select the learning model for their child no later than September 30th at 5:00pm. The survey choice is binding through the end of the school year. Look in your email box for the district email entitled, “Learning Model Survey”. This contains the link for your child.
- ROOM PARENT TRAINING, Thursday Oct 1, 7-8pm. If you’ve volunteered as a room parent, THANK YOU! Current room parents and prospective room parents - come to our Virtual PTA Room Parent Training! We will show you some new features of Konstella, how to make a post for volunteers and sign ups for your classroom. Where to find information about a teacher's favorite things and give you an overview of room parent responsibilities. Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85304818136?pwd=M01XT1N5SDJPcEVIakRhbDFDZTM5UT09 Meeting ID: 853 0481 8136 Passcode: 679920
- PRINCIPAL COFFEE - Friday, October 2, zoom details to come
- KINDER FULL DAY FOR DISTANCE LEARNERS begins, Monday October 12 If your child continues to distance learn for the remainder of the year they will begin to follow the full-day 1st grade distance learning schedule on Monday, October 12th. If your child returns to Hybrid on October 12th they will follow the Hybrid schedule for kindergarten.
- PTA MEETING, Monday October 19, 7pm
Meeting ID: 885 0703 6358 Passcode: PTARocks
- FAMILY MATH NIGHT (Rescheduled) Thursday, October 8, 5-7pm, Virtual Games (and maybe some take home physical games)! Mark your calendar - more details are coming soon. We need volunteers to help plan and execute this fun night for all - VOLUNTEER HERE!
ESCONDIDO PTA is endorsing VOTE YES on Measure O.
Measure O renews the existing parcel tax to support PAUSD schools. This parcel tax is critical as it provides over $15M of annual funding for Palo Alto schools. And, our schools need the certainty of this funding now more than ever as their budgets have been severely impacted because of COVID. Only 25% of PA residents have kids in schools, so visibility and your advocacy can help. If you are willing to put up a yard sign supporting Measure O, send an email with your address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll deliver and place the sign. For more information please visit: http://www.supportpaloaltoschools.org/.
Check that you are Registered to Vote!
One quick action you can take RIGHT NOW is to make sure you are actually registered to vote. We have found that people THINK they are registered to vote but aren't. Grab your driver's license and head over to https://voterstatus.sos.ca.gov. When you're done, sign up for BallotTrax to make sure your vote was received and counted! Thank you for your civic engagement!
PiE Needs Your Support
We still need your participation! Your contribution will support over 250 staff positions in wellness/support, the arts, and STEM at all PAUSD schools, whether distance-learning or in-person. We can’t do it without you! Every dollar makes a difference. Donate or pledge today.
PTA/PTA Council News
**NEW**Thur. Oct. 8th, 6:30pm - 8:30 pm - School Board Forum co-hosted with the League of Women Voters. Zoom link for the League-sponsored candidate forum. Candidate Forum web page or School Board Forum link.
**NEW**Elementary School Board Candidate Forum, Wed. Oct.14th, 6:30 – 8:30 pm. Questions contact: email@example.com Link will come in subsequent eNews issues.
**NEW**Sat. Oct. 17th, 3pm - 5pm. School Board Candidate Forum on Educational Equity & Access: the Achievement Gap and Special Education The event is jointly sponsored by PTA Council (PTAC), Palo Alto Community Advisory Committee for Special Education (CAC), the Latino Parent Network (LPN), and Parent Advocates for Student Success (PASS). For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com Link will come in subsequent eNews issues.
*UPDATED* VOTE AND VOLUNTEER FOR MEASURE O
PTA SUPPORTS MEASURE O
Volunteers needed to place lawn signs in our school neighborhood. Donate online, endorse, advocate to our PTA via social channels (FB, Next Door, WeChat, Line). Thank our school PTA for supporting this. Please direct questions to our PTA President. Click here for more info https://supportpaloaltoschools.org/ Palo Alto PTAs support Yes On O! For almost 20 years, local voter approved parcel taxes have generated over $15 million in locally-controlled funding to keep our schools strong. This measure needs 66.7 percent of voters to approve to pass, and every vote counts. Please show your support with a Lawn Sign.
PTA SUPPORTS PROPS 15 AND 16
As an advocacy organization, PTA often takes positions on legislation & ballot measures; it does not support or oppose candidates for office. California State PTA supports Prop 15, which would provide billions of extra dollars for our schools & local government services. State PTA also supports Prop 16, which would restore affirmative action in California.
Please register, inform yourself, and don't forget to vote! Election day is Tue Nov 3. Vote early if you can! Prop 15 & 16 info: https://capta.org/focus-areas/advocacy/state-ballot-measures/
Questions? Erwin Morton, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anime Class offered by Gamble Gardens
Saturday, October 10 , 10 -11am
Learn to sketch “Izuku Midoriya” from the popular manga and anime series “My Hero Academia.” Gamble Garden is hosting a drawing class taught by Marvel and DC Comics artist, Timothy Green II. Learn basic drawing skills for anime and manga characters. In his one-hour ZOOM class, you will learn how to draw a character from start to finish. You will need blank paper, pencil, eraser, colored pencils. Ideal for ages 8 – 15, but open to all. Pay-What-You-Can per student: $20, $30 or $40 Register Now:
**NEW**Palo Alto High School Dance Team Fundraiser-Gizdich Ranch Pies
Order through Sunday, October 18. Pick-up: Wednesday, November 11, 3;30-6:30pm
The Paly Dance Team is selling farm-fresh, ready-to-bake holiday pies from Gizdich Ranch in Watsonville. The Apple, Very Berry, and/or Pumpkin pies are $20 each, or 3 for $55. They will be available for contactless drive-through pickup in front of the Peery Athletic Center (enter on Churchill) on Wednesday, November 11th, from 3:30-6:30pm, or can be delivered (Palo Alto deliveries only) for an extra $5. Supplies are limited so order early through the ASB Webstore at Paly Pies! Deadline is Sunday, October 18th. For more information visit https://www.palydance.com/fundraisers. Thank you for your support.
**NEW**Educational Assessment and Dyslexia
Monday, October 19, 6:30-8 pm, via Zoom
October is Dyslexia Awareness Month. Join this presentation on the topic of Educational Assessment by Ashley Koedel, Director of Educational Services at Morrissey Compton Education Center. Organized by the North Peninsula Dyslexia Support Group, a part of the statewide nonprofit Decoding Dyslexia CA. Free and open to the public. RSVP to email@example.com and the Zoom link will be emailed to you before the meeting.