Tue, Jan 22 5:30am
Frank Otis Elementary
We hope everyone had a restful and thoughtful MLK Jr. Day. As we're thinking about ways to walk in Dr. King's footsteps and be there for our neighbors, here are some ways close to home to help those who have been directly impacted by the government shutdown. Please pass these on to any one you know who maybe be effected:
- Free and Reduced School Meals - Federal workers who are having trouble paying for food for their AUSD student(s) because of the government shutdown can apply for Free and Reduced Meals on the district's Food and Nutrition Services page. Enter "0" in the field that asks for current income. When the government shutdown ends (and you begin receiving income again), please contact AUSD to update your information.
- Alameda Food Bank - Members of the Coast Guard or any other federal workers can access the Alameda Food Bank regardless of their normal income. 1900 Thau Way. More information here.
- East Bay Coast Guard Spouses Club - The Spouses Club is coordinating various efforts to help families and can be contacted at Eastbayspouses@gmail.com.
Ways to help:
- All Good Living is selling a fundraiser t-shirt with proceeds going directly to Alameda Coast Guard families.
- The Local Alameda (1333 Park Street) has been collecting dry goods for Coast Guard families and needs your support! Stop by to donate food and cleaning goods, pet food, baby wipes, formula, toiletries, and more. Gift cards are also very appreciated. This will continue as long as the shutdown is happening.