Thu, Dec 21 12:35pm
Frank Otis Elementary
Update on Elementary Sexual Health Education Curriculum
Dear Otis Community,
A big thank you to those families who were able to make it to the Parent Information Night on November 16. We reviewed the Bird and Bee Survey results, went over the standards and guidelines for elementary curriculum, and engaged in important discussions about how to implement instructional requirements with respect for families' diverse points of view.
Thanks also to Dr. Shirley Clem, Coordinator of Elementary Education for Alameda Unified School District (and former Otis Principal), for representing the district with her attendance and offering invaluable perspectives to the discussions, as well.
To ensure that as many families as possible remain involved in this process and that there is transparency every step of the way, links to the slides presented during the meeting and all the handouts are available for you to view below. Hard copies of the handouts are also available in the school office.
- Slides with survey results
- Relevant excerpts from the National Sexuality Education Standards and Health Education Content Standards for California Public Schools, K-12
- Question & Answer Guide on California's Parental Opt-Out Statutes: Parents' and Schools' Legal Rights and Responsibilities Regarding Public School Curricula
- Links to relevant source documents on Comprehensive Sexuality Health Education
Questions, comments, concerns? E mail Ronit Matabuena-Lev ronit@BirdandBee.org .
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
SAVE THE DATE!!!
Bird and Bee Parent Education Night #1:
Supporting Our Kids' Health & Safety - A Sexuality Overview
Thursday, January 25, 2018, 6:30-8:30 pm
with Ronit Matabuena-Lev
Bird and Bee Education
Later this Spring:
#2: Nurturing a Positive Sense of Self - Body Image, Gender, & Sexual Identity
#3: Digital Safety - Keeping Our Kids Safe in a Technological World
Sponsored by Otis PTA