Dear Hillcrest Families,
2021 marks the 42nd Annual OUSD Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratorical Festival in which schools at all grade levels across Oakland have an opportunity to o showcase student’s oratorical skills and honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The theme this year is: Where Do We Go From Here?: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Hillcrest has a long tradition of being an active participant in this celebration. We will be using FlipGrid as our format for sharing each performance. It has been a challenging year, and oration is a powerful tool that can be used to bring about positive change. I hope everyone will consider participating.
If your child would like to participate in the Hillcrest MLK Jr. Oratorical Fest please complete this Registration form, indicating your name, grade, Title/Author of piece, category, and estimated time, by January 19th, 2021. (No singing or props are allowed)
The Oratorical Fest FlipGrid platform will be available starting January 22nd, and your video must be posted by 1:00 PM on January 27th.
Below you find information about grade level divisions and the oratorical festival categories.
Grade Level Divisions:
- Pre-Kindergarten-2nd grade
- 3rd-5th grade
- 6th-8th grade
- Individual Performer – 1 Performer on Stage
- Monologue - original or published in a script (3 min)
- Poetry - published poetry (3 min)
- Poetry - original poetry (poet performing poem they wrote, 3 min)
- Speech - famous & not so famous – (3 min)
- Two or More Performers on Stage Groups/Scenes
- Poetry – published (up to 5 min)
- Poetry - original (written by the performing poets, (up to 5 min)
- Speech - famous & not so famous (up to 5 min)
- Scene - published & devised (up to 5 min)