Dear Hillcrest Families,
Two days ago, OUSD announced plans for the first virtual Science & Engineering Fair! While completely optional, this is a great opportunity for families to get creative with science and engineering!
The 62nd Annual Oakland Science & Engineering Fair (OSEF) will be held virtually this year, as we all work together to flatten the curve!
The virtual OSEF will be held on May 20-22. The timeline for participating and celebrating in this year's virtual OSEF:
- Now-Tuesday May 19 - Students work on projects!
- Tuesday May 19 - Deadline to submit a project
- Wednesday May 20 - Local scientists and engineers review student projects
- Thursday May 21 - Students and scientists/engineers discuss projects and research on zoom calls
- Friday May 22 - Projects will be posted on the OUSD Science Website for the community to review and celebrate!
- Monday May 25 - Students receive certificates, comments about their projects and reflect on their experience.
Students can participate by:
- Completing a science or engineering project at home. We encourage students to work with their family or collaborate digitally with their peers if that's an option.
- Keeping a journal/notebook of their work and findings.
- Writing a scientific abstract that summarizes their work and creating a video, poster or other artifact explaining the results and what was learned from the project. This checklist reviews the submission criteria.
- Submitting evidence of their project by May 19. All work will must be submitted using a registered account on zfairs. Projects may be submitted by the student or by a family member or teacher.
- Optional: Participating in a zoom call with fellow OUSD students and a local scientist or engineer on May 20 to share and talk about their work!
Visit the student page to learn more about what to submit and how to submit your work!
Community members can participate by:
- Registering to be a Judge! Go to the Judges Tab to learn more.
- Visiting the OUSD Science website on May 22 to view and comment on student projects
We look forward to celebrating our young scientists and engineers...the world needs you now more than ever!
Click here for more information for students and families: https://ca-osef.zfairs.com/?f=01ec9bd9-13f4-436e-a7c7-bb67cc3cd384
If you have any questions please contact:
Serina Tomsun firstname.lastname@example.org (K-5)
Noah Canton email@example.com (6-8)