The theme this year is: Where Do We Go From Here?:
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." -MLK
Hillcrest has a long tradition of being an active participant in this celebration, and hope to see more submissions. The date has been extended to February 14, 2021.
If your child would like to participate in the Hillcrest MLK Jr. Oratorical Fest please have them record their presentation on FlipGrid https://flipgrid.com/oratoricalfest , indicating their name, grade, Title/Author of piece, and category. If you have questions please reach out to Brooke Nelson at email@example.com.
VOTE for NAACP Image Award - Outstanding Children's Program
We Are The Dream: The Kids of the Oakland MLK Oratorical
The link to cast your vote – https://vote.naacpimageawards.net
Tune-in to the 52nd NAACP Image Awards LIVE!
Saturday, March 27 8/7c on BET
Below is information about grade level divisions and the oratorical festival categories.
Grade Level Divisions:
- Pre-Kindergarten-2nd grade
- 3rd-5th grade
- 6th-8th grade
- Individual Performer – 1 Performer on Stage
- Monologue - original or published in a script (3 min)
- Poetry - published poetry (3 min)
- Poetry - original poetry (poet performing poem they wrote, 3 min)
- Speech - famous & not so famous – (3 min)
- Two or More Performers on Stage Groups/Scenes
- Poetry – published (up to 5 min)
- Poetry - original (written by the performing poets, (up to 5 min)
- Speech - famous & not so famous (up to 5 min)
- Scene - published & devised (up to 5 min)