Dear Hillcrest Community,
The most recent teacher's contract expired in June 2017. After 1-1/2 years of negotiations for a new contract, they have reached an impasse and are currently in mediation. At the end of January, there will be a strike vote, with a possible strike in early/mid-February. The teachers do not want to strike but feel that it may be necessary. This is just a few weeks away, so now is the time to make yourself heard if you have an opinion. Note that there is a rally TOMORROW (please read to the end of this message).
What you can do
1) Learn more about the issues:
Review this presentation about OEA's (Oakland Education Association, labor union) contract demands here. Top priorities are ending the teacher retention crisis (1 in 5 teachers leave every year), decreasing class sizes, and investing in more student supports like counselors, school psychologists and speech pathologists. OEA's website is here.
- Review OUSD's December update on labor negotiations here. More recent information may get posted on their Labor and Employee Relations website here.
2) Email your input to school board directors:
- Our school board member is Jody London (email@example.com), and contact information for the full board can be found here.
- Contact information is also available for city council members on that same page. Many of us are in Dan Kalb's (firstname.lastname@example.org) District 1 council district; if you're not sure which district you're in, this webpage includes a look-up map.
- Click here for a potential script.
3) Show your support by participating in efforts that align with your position. I don't know of any district-organized events, but Parents United has publicized some opportunities to support OEA:
- Print and display an 8.5 x 11 "We Stand with Oakland Teachers" sign - available here
- Attend this Saturday's rally (TOMORROW) - attend the East Bay Rally to Fund Public Education with educators and families across the state this Saturday, January 12th from 11 to 2 pm beginning at the Lake Merritt Amphitheatre and marching to Frank Ogawa Plaza (Facebook Event Here)
- Go to OEA's Oakland Art Build for Public Education on January 18th - 20th - work with teachers, parents, students and allies to produce images and art to be used in the struggle to defend and promote public schools (Facebook Event here)
4) Spread the word