Did you know? 1 in 3 kids in the Silicon Valley is at risk of hunger. Nearly 1,000,000 people in Santa Clara County are food-insecure, meaning they are uncertain about the source of their next meal. Hunger is a pervasive and serious problem in our local communities.
The Hoover PTA is pleased to organize the 2019-2020 Food Drive in partnership with Second Harvest Food Bank of Silicon Valley, which provides food to schools, pantries, soup kitchens and shelters on the peninsula, serving seniors, families with children, and individuals. 50% of the food served is fresh produce.
We are running a multi-week food drive. Each grade will have one week to bring in food donations and place them in the collection bins located throughout campus. We will announce the grade with the most donations at the end of the drive.
- Week 1 - Kindergarten (11/4 - 11/8)
- Week 2 - 1st Grade (11/11 - 11/15)
- Week 3 - 2nd Grade (11/18 - 11/22)
- Week 4 - Thanksgiving Holidays
- Week 5 - 3rd Grade (12/2 - 12/6)
- Week 6 - 4th Grade (12/9 - 12/13)
- Week 7 - 5th Grade (12/16 - 12/20)
You can help to solve the hunger problem locally by making a food or monetary donation. Each $1 donated translates to 2 healthy meals. The most needed food items are:
- Canned tuna, chicken or salmon
- Peanut butter
- Meals in a can (soup, stew, chili)
- Low-sodium canned vegetables
- Olive or canola oil
- Spices (cinnamon, chili powder, cumin, salt-free spice blends)
- Canned foods with pop-top lids
- Low-sugar whole grain cereals
- Healthy snacks (granola bars, nuts, dried fruit)
Please DO NOT donate:
- Sugary foods or drinks (soda, candy, donuts)
- Items packaged in glass (risk of breakage & injuries)
Other acceptable items:
- Travel-size toiletry (shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash)
- Diapers & baby formula
- Hand-held can openers
- Plastic utensils (knives, forks, spoons)
- Reusable shopping totes
If you are making a monetary donation, please make your check payable to “Second Harvest Food Bank,” and drop it off in the school office. PayPal or credit cards are also accepted online:
No amount is too small. Thank you for joining the fight against hunger in our local community! Hedgies care!