Dear JM Parents and Guardians,
We received numerous calls from individuals who were concerned about the safety of our students yesterday after dismissal. The traffic was backed up to the freeway and some drivers were attempting to get around the traffic by driving up the hill against traffic in the oncoming lane. Additionally, some drivers were yelling at the crossing guard, Ms. Williams, who is new to this position.
As many of you know, our parking lot and Ascot Drive become very congested daily between 2:30 and 4:00. Pick up has been better due to Montera's new start time of 9:00. In order to ensure the safety of both children and adults, we ask that you please adhere to the expectations outlined in our JM Parking and Traffic Plan. I've copied them below. Please talk to your students about being where they are supposed to be so that you can pick them up quickly and safely. We will do our best to get the classes out on time.
Pick Up in the Afternoon
- Please use the drop off zones whenever possible to pick up your child.
- Please do not leave your vehicle unattended in the red or yellow zones.
- Please cycle through the lot until you see your child(ren) if you arrive before students are dismissed on 2:50 on regular days and 1:15 on minimum days. (Kindergarten dismissal times are 2:30 on regular days and 12:50 on minimum days.)
- Talk to your child(ren) about the importance of staying near the pick up zone after school so you can find them when you come through the pick up zone.
- Please do not park and leave your vehicle unattended unless you are in “visitor” parking spot.
- Drive slowly and STOP at the crosswalk prior to exiting the parking lot on your way out.
- Remember that you are at a public elementary school where children are present. Please treat each other respectfully at all times and refrain from engaging in verbal confrontations in front of children.
Parking Rules – PLEASE READ!
Many schools across Oakland do not have any parking available for parents and visitors. At Joaquin Miller, we are fortunate to have multiple spots available. Having said that, there are not nearly enough spots to accommodate the number of students we currently have in attendance. We ask that you follow the parking rules below to prevent conflict.
- There is no parking for parents or visitors in the rear of the school except for special events.
- Please pick up and drop off your child using the system outlined above unless you need to enter the school.
- Please park in any available VISITOR spot or in the neighborhood across the street from the school if you need to enter the building. Please do not block any neighborhood driveways.
- Please do NOT park in a numbered spot or a spot marked “STAFF”, even if it is empty.
- Do NOT park in handicapped spaces or the marked space in between these spaces.
- Do NOT park in the pick up or drop off zones marked in either red or yellow.