Our Design Team is excited to share with you the name of the merged Kaiser-Sankofa: Sankofa United Elementary School.
In the process of creating this name we solicited ideas from community members through a survey in November; gathered suggestions at our December Design Team report back event with adults from both communities; and generated options through January classroom lessons with students. The Design Team then narrowed the list to 6 possible names. Over two hundred (213) families shared input on these six finalists by voting online, at the February Design Team report back event, or on paper ballots. Two possible names surfaced as clear favorites. Sankofa Academy (the previous name) received 45.5% of the vote. North Oakland United got 32.7% of the vote.
Given this outcome, the Design Team unanimously agreed to connect the two top votes into the school name Sankofa United.
- Sankofa: Keeping Sankofa in the name honors the legacy and the powerful symbolism of this school name. Sankofa is a word in the Twi language of Ghana that translates to "Go back and get it,” and represents the importance of learning from the past as we move toward the future
- United: Adding United reflects the unifying mission, vision, and values of our community that are in service to ALL of our students.
This school name recommendation will be sent to the OUSD Board of Education for final approval. Once approved, we will begin using this name immediately in reference to our school for next year and beyond.
Once again, thank you to all of the people who shared their thoughts about the name as a part of our journey together.
The Kaiser-Sankofa Design Team
- Dennis Guikema, Kaiser Principal
- Denise Saddler, Sankofa Principal
- Traci Grizzle, David Carrigan, and Erica Macklin, Sankofa staff
- Sugeera Eckley, Tamila Jackson, and Elizabeth Tinoco, Kaiser staff
- Dana Garrett, Valerie Manchester, and Dani Conde, Sankofa parents
- Ken Angelo, Chione Flegal, and Howard Green, Kaiser parents