Dear OSA Students and Families!
Welcome to the new OSA families! Welcome Back if to the returning OSA families!
We hope you are as excited as we are to begin this school year! We have been working hard to get ready for you all to be in the building.
I know there are many important pieces of information that you want to know.
School starts: Monday, 8/20. The school day ends on the first Monday only at 3:10 for middle school and 4:15 for high school.
- Incoming students can pick up their class schedules in the Student Center on 18th street for middle school and in the Black Box on 19th street for high school. Otherwise, your schedules will be posted in PowerSchool by the end of the week of 8/13.
- New students and parents will be receiving the PowerSchool logins at Orientation.
What to Bring:
- A pen and a pencil (for math) and a notebook; (details of what you need for each class will be in the course syllabus). A lock for your locker that will be assigned in class.
- Lunch (microwaves will be available to heat food for middle schoolers), money ($3.75) to purchase school lunch for those buying school hot lunch and for high school students to buy lunch off campus.
- Each Emphasis will provide imformation about what to bring at the Welcome events during the week of 8/13. Please attend if you can or notify your Emphasis contact if you cannot attend so they can get the supply list to you.
- Instruments are stored in the Newberry building on Telegraph across the street. Doors open at 7:30am on the first day of school and at 7:45am daily.
Orientations for All returning and new 9th Grader and all Incoming Students and Families will include FAQs about daily life at OSA.
Please do your best to attend your designated session on 8/14, 8/15 or 8/16 (3:00 - 5:00pm). Mr. Oz will be sending a detailed email.
If you missed diagnostic testing, we will be holding a math make up day for 6th graders on Wednesday 8/15 at 1:30 pm. Please expect a detailed follow up email with instructions on Tuesday 8/8. 7th and 8th graders please submit your last report card via email to Ms. Peters.
In case you missed the summer emails about selecting your middle school student's PE elective https://goo.gl/forms/Q2wGIJ8ARkm0wMK02 and the Higher Ground After School Program .
If you are interested in learning about the activities this program offers, please click on the link below and complete the survey. Please make sure to click submit before closing out.
Please note: this will be the only on-campus after school offering next year. Students will not be allowed to stay after school on or around campus without direct supervision of OSA teachers. We are committed to creating a space that provides for the saftey and enrichment of your students.
Thank you so much for taking the time to see what Higher Ground is designing specifically for OSA students with your survey input. http://highergroundndc.com/services/after_school_programming
We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer break and we look forward to seeing your student in August.
Enjoy your final days of summer! We look forward to seeing you all soon!
Staci A. Smith
Oakland School for the Arts