***Due to COVID-19, postponed to 2022-2023 school year***
Dollar Pretzel Day Committee
- Call the Philly Pretzel Factory on 1845 Hooper Avenue in Toms River, NJ at 732-255-5555 (https://phillypretzelfactory.com/locations/toms-river/) two days before Dollar Pretzel Day to confirm pick-up time/day (9:45 a.m.) and the pretzel order of 350 pretzels total.
- Pick-up the pretzel order by 9:45 a.m. to be back at the school by 10:30 a.m. to prepare before Kindergarten lunch begins.
- The ORS PTO has an account so the Philly Pretzel Company will invoice the PTO (tell them you’re picking up for Ocean Road School PTO).
- The pretzel boxes come uncovered. Ask for paper bags (1 bag per box so you can rip it open to cover boxes during transport). First "Shift” will meet you at the Catherine Street doors at 10:30 a.m. Sign-in at main office then drive back around to Catherine Street doors to drop off pretzels closer to cafeteria.
FIRST SHIFT (10:30 a.m. - 11:25 a.m.):
- After signing in at main office, check the ORS PTO mailbox for any last minute Kindergarten Dollar Pretzel Day Pre-Orders. And if you need bags/gloves/cash-box, ask the Dollar Pretzel Day committee chair or the front desk in the main office.
- Meet in lobby by cafeteria & Catherine Street doors. Get there early to help bring in the boxes of pretzels from Pick-up/Drop-off shift.
- Set up next to stage. Grab a table from the lobby outside cafeteria to put pretzel boxes on top.
- Then start bagging all the pretzels. One pretzel per brown paper lunch bag, using gloves. There will be gloves and bags provided.
- First lunch is Kindergarten. Some of them will have pre-ordered/prepaid. Please sort the slips by teacher name and put money in cash box. The lunch helper/aid (Ms. Nagle) will call the students up by class that have already pre-ordered/prepaid for pretzels. Kindergarten students are still able to purchase the day of Dollar Pretzel Day.
- By pre-bagging the pretzels we avoid handling money and food. One person handles money, the other gives the bagged pretzel to the students.
ALL SHIFT (10:30 a.m. - 12:55 p.m.):
- If children aren’t being called up, gently remind lunch helpers/aides that the pretzel may be the child’s lunch so they need to be called to have time to eat.
- Lunch helper/aid will call children up one class at a time.
- One person handles money, the other gives the bagged pretzel.
LAST SHIFT (12:05 p.m. - 12:55 p.m.):
- At end of lunch, please secure cash box and call the committee chair to arrange a pick-up.
- Please clean-up the area by discarding boxes and returning the table to lobby.
- If there are pretzels left, feel free to distribute among volunteers and put rest in teachers lounge. When signing out at office, let staff know if there are pretzels left so they can grab.
Positions (2/2 filled)
Committee Admin Signed Up: 1 / 1
Committee Co-Chairs Signed Up: 2 / 2
1. Set up dates on Konstella (every first Thursday of school month, October through June unless after major holiday – confirm dates with PTO board if not 1st Thursday.) 2. Set up volunteer signup on Konstella (7 total) a. Driver to pickup and deliver pretzels to school (pick up at 10a) b. 2 volunteers per each shift: i. grades K, 1 + setup (10:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.) ii. grades 2, 4 (11:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.) iii. grades 3, 5 + cleanup (12:30 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.) 3. One week before first Thursday (or sooner), request cash box from PTO treasurer (typically $30: $1 x 15 and $5 x 3) – form is on Konstella. 4. One week before first Thursday call pretzel factory and order 350 pretzels (we have an account under Ocean Road School PTO): 732-255-5555 https://phillypretzelfactory.com/locations/toms-river/ 1845 Hooper Avenue, Toms River, NJ. 5. Five days before email instructions to volunteers that signed up on Konstella and field any questions (make sure all shifts are covered because there are no extras☺) – make sure driver knows they have to be back by 10:30 a.m. so 1st shift has time to prep before K-1st lunch. 6. Two days before confirm pretzel order and 10a sharp pickup. 7. One day before confirm volunteers and that they received instructions (they can be messaged via Konstella in a group thread – whatever is easiest). 8. One day before (or sooner) arrange to retrieve cash box from PTO treasurer. 9. One day before (or sooner) you must purchase. a. 300 brown paper lunch bags* (pretzels get pre-bagged). Arrange to get these to 1st shift volunteers. b. 1 box of food handling gloves (PTO cabinet typically has them, usually leftover from last month’s event, but if not you must purchase them – I believe they’re available at Dollar Tree). c. You can donate the bags/gloves or fill out a reimbursement form (submit form & receipts when you return the cash box to PTO treasurer)* * You can request PTO to order bags for you in beginning of the school year for the entire year (we did that 2019-2020) and just store bags above PTO cabinets in school (black cabinets in stairwell nearest to cafeteria) – make sure to mark “Pretzel Day” so that they aren’t used for other events. 10. Arrange with last shift of volunteers to retrieve cash box (typically meet after last shift to help clean up, put extra bags/gloves in PTO cabinet & retrieve cash box – you can make your own arrangements). 11. Count money in cash box (right down amount on Cash Count Slip and include that paper in the cash box along with any other forms/receipts if there are any); then arrange to drop off cash box that day to PTO treasurer. 12. Finally, most important, make sure to thank all the volunteers – without them we wouldn’t be able to have these fun events for the children and raise money for their assemblies/field trips/equipment/etc.