The purpose of the ELAC is to advise the principal and school staff on programs and services for English learners and the School Site Council on the development of the Single School Plan for Student Achievement. The ELAC also assists the school on other tasks listed below.
The committee advises and assists the school principal, staff and School Site Council (SSC) as follows:
- The school’s program for English learners.
- The development of the Single School Plan for Pupil Achievement.(SPPA)
- The school’s needs assessment.
- The school’s annual language census (R-30 LC Report).
- Efforts to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
Requirements for ELAC elections include:
- Parents/guardians of English learners elect parent members of the school committee.
- The parents/guardians are provided the opportunity to vote for committee members.
Each school committee shall have the opportunity to elect at least one member to the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC).