Dear PS20 Families,
The PTA is hosting our 1st annual $5K for PS 20 social justice benefit run at Fort Greene Park on June 11, 2021. Our goal is to raise $5,000 for the PTA's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Fund. This marathon-style fundraiser will be led by the Founder of Define New York Run Club and Co-Founder of Running to Protest, activist and runner, and PS 20 parent of three, Coffey. Students will participate by raising money and awareness for causes focused on racial equality, gender equality, inclusivity. All proceeds from the race will benefit the PTA-supported Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Fund.
In the wake of the murder of George Floyd, the PS 20 PTA renewed its commitment to addressing the social injustice by creating a fund within the PTA budget dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion work. These funds are a valuable resource that allows the PTA to do everything from conducting workshops to covering field trips for families that may be experiencing economic challenges. This work is particularly timely given that PS 20 was recently designated as a Diversity In Admissions Initiative school.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- There will be PS 20 issued t-shirts on the day of the Marathon.
- All students can participate in the event whether they participate in fundraising, or not.
- Students will march from exit to arrival at starting point in Fort Greene Park.
- Remote students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Remote families: Please meet at the entrance of the school 15 minutes before your child's grade/group (see schedule below).
Teachers please exit through the front entrance 15 minutes before your time slot.
- Group 1 | Pre-k & Kindergarten (9:00am - 10:00am)
- Group 2 | 1st Grade & 2nd Grade (10:00am - 11:00am)
- Group 3 | 3rd grade & 4th Grade (11:00am - 12:00pm)
- Group 4 | 5th Grade - THE SENIOR RUN (12:00pm - 1:00pm)
ROUTE TO PARK
Exit at front entrance on Adelphi. Walk to Willoughby. Make a left on Willoughby. Enter Fort Greene Park at Willoughby and Washington Park entrance. Make left on the path toward the center of the open field.
STUDENTS WILL RUN IN SUPPORT OF MARGINALIZED GROUPS FOR CAUSES SUCH AS:
Anti-Racism - Police Brutality - Food Insecurities - Body Shaming - Women's Rights - LGBTQ Rights - Mental Health - Affordable Housing/Homelessness - Healthcare Inequality - Educational Equity & Equality - Inclusion of People with Disabilities