Dear PS20 Families,
These are some important updates from the DOE Office of Family and Community Empowerment.
Remote Learning Agreement DOE/UFT
DOE entered a new agreement with the UFT, which provides for flexibility for teachers seeking to work remotely and creates a new Paraprofessional Classroom Manager position.
Free and Low-Cost Internet Options
There are several free or low-cost internet options available to New York City students and families. Visit the DOE website for more information: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/learning/learn-at-home/technical-tools-and-support/free-and-low-cost-internet-options.
If you have issues with technology for learning at home, visit our support pages: http://on.nyc.gov/3kImrrp. If you still have issues, we are here for you. Fill out the Technical Support for Families form: http://schools.nyc.gov/techsupport and we will get in touch.
Fundraising Guidance for Outdoor Learning
The DOE released guidance on fundraising for outdoor-learning equipment purchases, including information for donors interested in supporting schools in the 27 neighborhoods most impacted by COVID-19. Please note that:
- PA/PTAs can fundraise for their school’s own outdoor learning equipment, in accordance with their established rules and by laws and Chancellor’s Regulation A-660.
- Parents/donors who would like to make a matching donation to COVID-19-impacted schools should be directed to the Fund for Public Schools (FPS). The DOE will assist the FPS in reporting and tracking funds from parents/donors for outdoor learning.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beginning on Tuesday, September 29, students learning in-person will receive both breakfast and lunch in school. For students who are learning remotely full-time or students who are at home during their remote days in blended learning, families can pick up free grab-and-go meals from whatever school is most convenient to them from 9am to Noon, Monday through Friday. No signup or registration is necessary, and meals will be set up near entry points for easy access and pickup by students and families.
In addition, Grab & Go meals for NYC adults will also continue at approx. 200 sites across the city- including some dedicated kosher locations and those serving the halal protein options - and the info is available at nyc.gov/getfood or the DOE website. Meals will be available from 3pm to 5pm, Monday through Friday.
Daily Health Screenings
As always, the health and safety of our students, families, and school staff remain our top priority. Staff and students will be required to complete a health screening every day prior to entering school buildings, and are encouraged to use the Online Health Screening Tool. Please share these helpful videos created by our Queens North Exec. Sup. and the Office of MLLs:
It’s up to all of us to keep our school communities and families safe by wearing face coverings, keeping our distance, washing hands frequently, and getting tested!
- Help us keep our schools open and school communities healthy by getting tested for COVID-19. It’s safe, free, and easy for everyone, regardless of immigration or insurance status.
o Find a testing site(Open external link) near you.
- Students in 3K through twelfth grade can get priority testing at 22 Health + Hospitals testing sites throughout the school year.
o Find a location near you.
- Beginning in early October, we will begin testing a random sampling of students and staff in every school. This is essential to keeping your family and school community healthy and safe. We’ll be sharing much more information and a link to a parent/guardian consent form in our next family update.
Sneak Preview: School Re-Opening 2020-21 School Guide
We are excited to share with you a sneak preview of the School Re-Opening 2020-21 Family Guide, which will be officially released in the next couple of weeks (with translations). The guide provides helpful tips for families.