The City Council agrees that class sizes should be reduced, and has proposed a landmark bill that would reduce classroom occupancy limits and lower class sizes in every school in the coming years. Our District City Councilwoman, Laurie Cumbo, is a co-sponsor of the bill and New York has unprecedented federal and state school funding to make this happen.
THE BAD NEWS:
The vote on the bill is in jeopardy! Right now, there is no date set for the vote to take place. The bill has 39 co-sponsors, over the 34 supermajority for a veto-proof vote, but the vote has been stalled.
📣 HOW YOU CAN HELP:
1. Call on New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson to move forward with a vote before the end of the year.
District office phone number: 212-564-7757
City Hall office phone number: 212-788-7210
2. PS20 will be joining other schools across the city in a DAY OF ACTION today (Wednesday 12/1) and tomorrow (Thursday 12/2).
- Please join us from 8:00-8:20am on Wednesday and Thursday at our line-up spot
- Make/bring colorful signs in favor of smaller class size
- Please sign this petition and share the link with your friends and family! https://www.uft.org/get-involved/uft-campaigns/ourkidsneed