Dear PS20 Families,
The 3rd Annual Social Justice Run is next Thursday, June 1st!
We are still working out the final details for the day, but we wanted to share the information we have now to help you and your child prepare.
Below you will find the following information:
- The tentative SCHEDULE for the Social Justice Run (subject to change)
- What your child should pack and BRING to school for the day
- How you can SUPPORT the event
1. Tentative Schedule
Event Time: 9:00am-2:00pm
Location: Fort Greene Park
- 9:00am - 12:30pm | Rally + Run for All Grades
- 12:30pm - 2:00pm | Picnic Lunch with Field Games and Activities for Grades K-5
- When classes aren’t participating in the run, students and families are invited to participate in field games and activities and free play offered by our partners Mosaic, Futbol Rebels, Brooklyn Basketball Academy and It Takes a Village Youth Services.
- Note: Only 3-K and Pre-K will return after the picnic lunch for nap time and activities back at school.
2. What to Bring
On Tuesday May 31, please have your child bring in a white t-shirt to school. Classes will be designing these t-shirts to highlight the causes they have selected.
Note: The PTA will be donating a limited quantity of shirts for any child who does not have one.
On Thursday June 1, please have your child bring the following items to school:
- Picnic Lunch
- Water bottle
- Picnic Blanket or Towel
- Closed toed sneakers
3. How You Can Support the Social Justice Run
SPONSOR & ENGAGE! Support them talking to friends, family and neighbors about the issue their class has chosen and help them raise funds for the JEDI Fund. Talk to them about the cause their class chose and why it's important to them. Finally, attend the run and cheer on your kids!
VOLUNTEER! We will be posting a volunteer signup on Konstella in the coming days, but we absolutely need chaperones to help walk our students between the school and Fort Greene Park and to help escort students between activities once at the park. Chaperone signup will be coordinated through teachers and class parents. We also need volunteers for set-up at 8:00am and clean-up.
DONATE! All funds raised through the Social Justice Run will go to the PS20 Justice Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) Fund, which allows us to do everything from conducting educational assemblies and classroom workshops, purchasing relevant books as well as ensuring all students can participate in school activities like book fairs and field trips. You can donate by texting “PS20JEDI" to 44-321 or by clicking on this link.
If you have any questions you should reach out to your teacher, your class parent, Ms. Colon at firstname.lastname@example.org, or me at email@example.com.
Thanks for your support.