The Adapt Community Network Family Connect Center has planned several events during the upcoming months that we would like to let you know about. These workshops are free and are available to professionals, family members, caregivers and all interested individuals. They are a great opportunity for family members to network and connect with others. Translation to Spanish is always available. We are also pleased to offer referral and support services as well.
1) Friday, November 22nd : TURNING 5: TRANSITION FROM PRESCHOOL SPECIAL EDUCATION TO KINDERGARTEN (80 West End Avenue, New York, NY 10023) 10am-12pm
DESCRIPTION: Children born in 2015 will start kindergarten in the fall of 2020. Moving from preschool to kindergarten marks an exciting new chapter in your child's life. In this workshop, we will address some questions you may have about the process and about New York City's public schools. Join us and learn about the transition to school-age special education services and the kindergarten application process.
2) Tuesday, November 26th : HAVING FUN WITH SENSORY INTEGRATION FOR YOUR CHILD (281 Port Richmond Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10302) 10am-12pm
DESCRIPTION: This hands-on workshop will explore sensory processing issues that may be causing your child’s difficult to explain behaviors and his/hers decreased ability to process sensory information. There will be fun and practical activities demonstrated to support your child in home, school, and during recreational activities. There will also be opportunities to learn and practice exercises to help your child manage sensory overload.
3) Thursday, December 5th: COMMUNICATING WITHOUT WORDS (80 West End Avenue, New York, NY 10023) 10am-12pm
DESCRIPTION: Whether a child is verbal or nonverbal, visuals improve communication and behavior. Let’s stop telling children what to do and start showing them. In this workshop you will create visual supports to help children understand and follow routines and take home the materials you have made. Materials will be provided.
4) Thursday, December 12th: TARGETING SOCIAL SKILLS & COMMUNICATION SKILLS (1770 Stillwell Avenue, Bronx, NY 10469) 10am-12pm
DESCRIPTION: This presentation will provide a research update on social skills interventions for children, teens, and adults with ASD. Dr. Gorenstein will focus on strategies that parents can use to help build their child’s social communication skills.
5) Wednesday, December 18th: THE EVALUATION PROCESS IN CHILDREN WITH ASD ( 160 Lawrence Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11230) 10am-12pm
DESCRIPTION: This presentation will focus on the different diagnostic evaluations available to diagnose ASD. Dr. Gorenstein will discuss what parents should look for when seeking an independent evaluation for his or her child and provide an overview of what types of evaluations are needed to access services.
Remember, advanced registration is required.
We hope to see you and ask that you share this flyer with colleagues and families. A document is in the link below.
Family Connect Team
160 Lawrence Avenue
Brooklyn, New York 11230
Office: 718-436-7979 Ext. 704
(formerly United Cerebral Palsy of New York City)