On Friday, September 20, students may decide to participate in the Climate Strike, a youth-organized event for action against climate change.
The Department of Education (DOE) will excuse absences of students participating in the Climate Strike on Friday 9/20, provided students have parental consent. Younger students can only leave school with a parent. Here is additional important guidance:
- Both partial and full day absences will be considered excused with parental permission.
- There will be no disciplinary consequences for excused absences.
- Elementary school students need to be signed out by parents or guardians if they wish to participate in the walkout.
- Parents giving permission for their child to be absent should notify schools in the same manner they normally would based on the school’s established attendance protocol (e.g., in writing, by phone, etc.).
- If a student is present for a portion of the day, they are considered present for the day and absent for any class periods not attended.
- If a middle or high school student participates in the strike without parental permission, the student’s absence will not be excused.
- If students leave school for a portion of the day without parental permission, their absence from the class periods they miss will be unexcused.
If you are taking your child out early from school on Friday we will ask you to sign them out.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.