Fri, May 4 8:00am-9:15am
PS 372 -The Children's School
Dear Children's School community,
The Diversity Committee will be meeting this Friday May 4 from 8-9:15AM in the teachers lounge just off the stage in the gym. All are welcome!! PLEASE NOTE NEW START TIME OF 8AM.
The Diversity Committee at PS 372 is made up of parents and teachers who are interested in figuring out ways to make our school more diverse and inclusive of families and students from all economic, racial, ethnic, national and religious backgrounds. PS 372 is part of the city wide Diversity in Admissions program which sets aside a certain percentage of incoming Kindergarten seats for families who qualify for Free and Reduced price lunch or are English Language Learners. The diversity committee works to not only increase the numbers of qualifying families who apply to the school but also to nurture and improve various aspects of the school environment so that we become ever more inclusive and welcoming to all families.
Some of the ongoing projects that we work on are:
- Parent to parent buddy system for new families
- Creating other systems for welcoming new parents and students
- Organizing outreach trips and events in Pre-Ks and community organizations in under represented District 15 communities
- Proposing policies to guide school protocols related to such issues as money, translation, school communications, etc.
- Organizing educational events
We will also be participating in a new initiative that is being funded by Council member Lander's office to work with an outreach coordinator and two other district wide schools (Brooklyn New School and PS 133) to create a coordinated outreach plan.
Please come to our meeting this Friday if you are interested in being part of this exciting project to improve our school and help to create a better city!!