Dear PS 107 Families,
First, a few updates now that we have been living with the Omicron surge and the DOE's new policies for a full week.
- Students will receive one test kit (with two tests included) each week. If they are exposed more than once during the week, they will not receive a second test kit. The DOE has only given schools enough kits to give each student and staff member one kit per week. Last week, we tried to give out additional kits when additional exposures occurred, but quickly exhausted our supply.
- While you are not required to do so, we do suggest keeping children home when a household member tests positive. Students are permitted to attend school if they are fully vaccinated and asymptomatic when an outside-of-school close contact is positive. However, we have noticed that very frequently, household members ultimately test positive (vaccinated or not) a few days later. Of course, we understand there are challenges associated with this, and we all want our children in school, but if you are able to do so, it would help reduce risk all around. While COVID may be a mild illness for some, we have both staff members and students with underlying conditions for whom COVID is of great concern.
Now for today's case update. These cases were reported to me between yesterday late-afternoon and today at 3 pm:
- 7 positive cases reported between 3 pm Sunday and 3 pm Monday
- 5 involved exposure to the school community
- 2 did not result in exposures to the community as the individuals were not in the building last week
- 85% of students were in attendance today
All parents whose children were in classrooms of individuals testing positive received an email (NOT a Konstella) directly from me earlier today. Those children will bring home test kits today.
If the cases also resulted in after-school exposures, parents will receive an email directly from Sandy Phillips shortly.
The DOE's official notification letter to the community is attached.
As always, feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns. We are incredibly grateful for the messages of support that we have received over the last week -- thank you for being such incredible partners with us during this very difficult time.