In light of the recent traffic safety incident, the PTA would like to offer some actionable items and safety tips and to help support our community's safety. We are all in this together and know everyone wants to keep PS 107 staff and students safe inside and outside of the school building.
Consider messaging or calling our D39 Council Member Shahana Hanif (email@example.com 718-499-1090) and D44 State Assemblyman Robert Carroll (CarrollR@nyassembly.gov 718 -788-7221) to advocate for:
- a speed camera
- a red light camera
- designated a school zone with signage
- speed bumps near the school on 13th and 14th street
- more funding for crossing guards (for example: they do not have enough funding to have extra/substitute guards if one is out)
Consider the following safety precautions. Whether we are pedestrians or drivers, here are some things we can do:
- Keep an extra watchful eye out for those students who attend after school. They leave when we have no crossing guards and it can be dark out. Starting in the spring, Fifth Graders with signed permission can walk home younger siblings from 2nd grade on up. If you see a potentially dangerous situation, don't be afraid to speak up.
- Offer to walk other students to school if you know of families that need assistance
- Know a 4th or 5th-grade student? Ask if they could help share what they learned from Vision Zero with a younger student or students
- Please avoid parking in the crosswalk during school drop-off or pick-up. The crossing guards cannot do their job properly and pedestrians cannot safely cross the street. Please be mindful of ALL crosswalks (8th ave, 13th st, and 14th st)
- Please try to avoid double parking, if possible, especially on 8th Avenue. We understand the parking situation is terrible in Brooklyn but double parking creates a bottleneck and makes it difficult to drive safely past the school.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! If we missed something or you have advice on how to keep our community safe, don't hesitate to message Co-Presidents Davina firstname.lastname@example.org and Cynthia email@example.com