Tue, Oct 4 5:03pm
Hi PS 107 families,
The Community Outreach Committee would like to give a heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone for your generosity in supporting PS 124's urgent need of assistance to families seeking asylum.
We raised over $4,000 to assist with the greater efforts, and PS124 was overwhelmed with gratitude. $3,525 was collected in cash and Venmo donations; $300 in gift cards; $260 in metro cards (plus some unmarked values) ... amounting to over $4,085 in total donations!
A portion of the Venmo donations has already been used in a fresh food distribution to the families and the rest put directly into ongoing support through their Mutual Aid program, so we are extremely appreciative and glad that our efforts have a direct impact in the community!
We know that many families have asked how to be more directly involved with hands-on, in-person community outreach efforts. We are often in a reactive mode but are similarly eager to facilitate more proactive opportunities and volunteer events! Be on the lookout for more of these events (such as park cleanups!) and the return of our Monthly Newsletter in the coming weeks.
For now, there are plenty of initiatives underway that need your support!
- The PS107 Fall Festival Book Fair - NEXT SATURDAY (10/15): This is a great opportunity to clean out your shelves and exchange gently used books for other (gently) used books. Any remaining books will be donated (last year, we had so many books that we held a book giveaway at PS 169 and donated some to Brooklyn Book Bodega!) Please consider volunteering for this event as well - sign-ups are posted under the Fall Festival Call for Volunteers.
- Winter gear donations - NEXT WEEK: There is a growing need for NEW and GENTLY USED children's winter clothing, such as coats, boots, scarves, gloves, and hats. Please start gathering any new or good quality extra winter gear as we are looking to have our first clothing donation drive next week at drop off. Volunteers will also be appreciated for this effort! A separate message and Konstella sign-up will be sent out shortly.
- Please note: We attached information regarding PS 124's clothing collection and distribution event taking place this Saturday, 10/8. If the timing is more convenient and/or you have additional gear (such as baby and adult clothes or toys), this is a great option as well! Donation window is 8am - 11am in the PS 124 schoolyard.
- Getting the kids involved: The above activities will also provide a great opportunity for our kids to get involved at school and afterschool with the sorting of books, organizing clothing donations, etc. If you have any other ideas, please feel free to send them our way!
- Community Outreach Fund: Last year, we raised $1,000 for the Community Outreach Committee by volunteering at the Brooklyn Marathon. Thank you to our volunteers, as this fund allows us to support certain needs, like school materials and extra clothing for those in need. More to follow on how we will utilize these funds so that we can continue supporting the needs of our D15 schools and families.
Lastly, we would like to thank our committee and encourage anyone interested in community outreach efforts to join us for our first monthly meeting of the school year tomorrow evening (10/5) at 9PM on Zoom (Link: Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting)
No amount of effort or contribution is too small!! Thank you!
-Community Outreach Committee