We hope you all had a meaningful MLK Jr Day.
In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Day, Superintendent Skop would like to share the attached letter with the District 15 community. Please see the attached letter.
Other Important Information:
BUILDING A STRONGER SIBLING BOND DURING A PANDEMIC OR ANY TIME, WITH DR. LAURA MARKHAM
SUPPORTING CHILDREN'S LITERACY DEVELOPMENT
Session 1: February 10, 2021 4:00 - 5:00 PM
Session 2: February 25, 2021 5:00 - 6:00 PM
See flyer attached for more information about this workshop
Parent University - https://parentu.schools.nyc/ is a course registration and management system where NYC families can find free trainings on a wide range of topics. Parent University serves all families, from early childhood through adulthood, and seeks to educate and empower them as partners and advocates through free courses, resources, events, and activities.
We currently offer 200+ pre-recorded, on-demand, or live, web-based courses and they cover a wide range of topics including:
· Adult and Continuing Education
· Early Childhood Education
· Health and Wellness
· Multilingual Learners
· Parent Leadership
· Remote Learning and Technology
· School Buildings and Operations
· Special Education
For more information, including flyers in different languages, please visit the Office of Family and Community Empowerment page on the DOE website.
Haven't joined us yet? Watch this short video tutorial to learn how to create an account.
Then, go to https://parentu.schools.nyc/ to log in and enroll in one of our upcoming live, web-based courses!
A Day of Mindfulness – 1/19/21 @ 12:30pm
Self-Care: Mindfulness, Breathing, & Chair Yoga – Beginning 1/26/21 and EVERY Tuesday @ 10am
CCEC Roles and Responsibilities – 2/8/21 @ 6pm
Or check out one of our newest pre-recorded, on-demand courses!
PA/PTA Financial Reporting – Missed the live session? Catch it on-demand!
We hope to see you on Parent University!
It is clear that online learning is here to stay as a part of learning experiences for children and adults. This conference is geared towards helping teachers, educators and parents by sharing successes and challenges.
We will cover ideas from experts in a variety of fields to help us learn how to make remote learning become more effective and more social. Our invited speakers include teachers from kindergarten through college, parents, administrators and Ed Tech specialists. At the end of our four-hour conference we’ll create a summary of best practices to help us all.
Vision Education & Media's Robofun is currently partnering with NYU's ITP Program to host this symposium via zoom on January 21st from 2 pm - 6 pm.
STEAM Education at Home: What’s Working? Come share and learn from our successes and challenges.
We will have four, 45-minute panel discussions on different topics including social and emotional development, curriculum modification, tips and tricks on the available platforms and interfaces available for virtual classes, open discussion on successes and challenges, and more!
Date: January 21, 2021
Time: 2pm - 6pm
Saturday, January 30, 2021
Join Anytime From 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
INCLUDEnyc is a non-profit providing training and information for young people with any disability (age 0-26) in New York City, their families, and the professionals who support them.
Learn more about organizations and programs supporting young people with disabilities. Based on your preference, connect with representatives via chat, audio, or video to learn more about Summer Camps, After School, Recreation, Athletics, Art, Dance, and Music Transition Services and College Supports and Services.
Caregiver Support Workshops
The Child Mind Institute will be hosting Caregiver Support Workshops. These workshop series are designed to provide families with proactive strategies to use to support your child’s mental health and learning needs while virtually learning from home. They are available at no cost to all NYC DOE parents and caregivers. Please see below for additional details.
PROMOTING POSITIVE BEHAVIORS FOR YOUR CHILD – Please CLICK HERE to learn more and register.
· Structuring a Home Learning Environment; Wednesday, February 3rd, 2021 | 4:00pm – 5:00pm EST
· Managing Kids' Screen Time; Tuesday, February 9th, 2021 | 9:00am – 10:00am EST
· Motivating Your Child for Remote Learning – Part 1; Wednesday, February 17th, 2021 | 4:00pm – 5:00pm EST
· Motivating Your Child for Remote Learning – Part 2; Tuesday, February 23rd, 2021 | 9:00am – 10:00am EST
· Improving Your Relationship With Your Child; Wednesday, March 3rd, 2021 | 4:00pm – 5:00pm EST
· Parent Calming Techniques; Tuesday, March 9th, 2021 | 9:00am – 10:00am EST
COPING DURING COVID-19 – Please CLICK HERE to learn more and register.
· Managing Intense Emotions; Wednesday, January 20th, 2021 | 5:00pm – 6:00pm EST
· Will My Child be Okay?; Monday, January 25th, 2021 | 5:00pm – 6:00pm EST
· Fostering Resilience Within Your Family; Thursday, January 28th, 2021 | 4:00pm – 5:00pm EST
SUPPORTING LEARNING AT HOME – Please CLICK HERE to learn more and register.
· Building and Supporting Executive Functioning Skills; Tuesday, February 9th, 2021 | 4:00pm – 5:00pm EST
· Building a Foundation for Reading at Home; Wednesday, February 10th, 2021 | 5:00pm – 6:00pm EST
For additional resources, please visit The Child Mind Institute at: https://childmind.org/coping-during-covid-19-resources-for-parents/