The PS 107 PTA is committed to partnering with school administration to make improvements to the Big Yard playground so our kids can enjoy fun, recreational, and safe play.
As previously communicated, we hope to realize a more complete overhaul of PS 107's Big Yard playground with funding through the Participatory Budgeting process. In the meantime, we are also committed to making immediate improvements to the Big Yard NOW.
Today, we are asking you to make a donation to PS 107's Big Yard Fund to help the PTA offset $11,500 in costs to make immediate improvements.
Here's what Ms. Joanna and her team have in store for our kids. We hope you'll be as excited about it as we are:
Acquisition of Imagination Playground: These are big (GIANT!) blue blocks designed for large outdoor spaces, just like ours! PS 107 students of all ages will have a blast playing with these durable, waterproof foam pieces of various shapes and sizes (and storing them in protective bins when recess is done). In lieu of crushed chalk and deflated kick balls, Imagination Playground will be a great way to keep our kids engaged and having fun during recess!
Restoration of the Insect Art: As part of our larger vision for the "rebirth" of the Big Yard, we will be restoring the insects that have graced the side of PS 107 since 2008. As a school community, hands-on project, the original artist (and former PS 107 parent), Marney Fuller, will work with PS 107 students in the restoration process, reconstructing the insects with stainless steel wire and other metals which will keep them looking bright and new for years to come. Marney will also add a metal skeleton to the base of each insect for easy hanging. Funds raised will cover the costs of this restoration, along with the rental of a scissor lift to take down and rehang each insect.
You can support these immediate improvements to the Big Yard playground by clicking here to make a donation to help us reach our $11,500 goal. Donate today!
Questions you may have:
- When will these improvements take place? Imagination Playground should arrive and be available for use by the kids sometime in February--as in next month! We anticipate restoration of the insect art to take place this spring 2022 and to begin as early as March.
- I already made a donation to the Annual Fund. Why is the PTA asking me for another donation? Improvements to the Big Yard were not included in the PTA's original 2021-2022 budget. However, as the year progressed and the necessity to be outdoors is more important than ever, Ms Joanna and her team shared with the PTA the need improve the kids' outdoor play experience. In addition, by not restoring the insect art in the near future, the pieces risk permanent damage. We are so appreciative of the families who have already made a donation to the Annual Fund and hope that those who are able will make another gift this year to help the PTA offset these costs.
- Is there a deadline for making a donation? Making your gift by February 1, 2022 would be a great help as incurring these costs is imminent. However, we can accept donations for the Big Yard improvements until June 30, 2022, or until we meet our goal, whichever comes first.
- What is the cost of these immediate improvements? $11,500 total, including $5,000 for Imagination Playground equipment and $6,500 for insect art restoration.
- Won't these improvements be covered in the funds PS 107 may receive through the Participatory Budgeting process? No. Improvements to the playground through Participatory Budgeting, should PS 107 receive funds, will likely include more major (and expensive) capital projects such as resurfacing and repainting the playground, water mitigation, and other improvements. Further, the timeline for these long-term projects is months down the road. In the meantime, the PTA is committed to doing what we can right now to make these improvements for our kids!
THANK YOU for your support of PS 107!