Thu, May 28 4:41pm

Hello Families,


As part of the federal stimulus package, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act of 2020 has authorized payment of P-EBT food benefits to households with children who would have received free or reduced-price school meals under the National School Lunch Act, if not for a school closure. These temporary food benefits are to help cover the cost of meals children would have otherwise received at school.


All NYC public school children will receive this food benefit in the amount of $420 to cover each day school was closed between March and June in the amount of $5.70 per day per student. 


How will I get P-EBT food for my qualified child/children?

  • If your family already receives SNAP and/or PA benefits, the P-EBT food benefits for each eligible child will be issued directly to the household's existing EBT card. P-EBT foods benefits will be added to your SNAP balance. You can check your family's SNAP/P-EBT food benefits balance by visiting www.connectebt.com or calling 888.328.6399
  • If your family does not receive SNAP or PA benefits but does receive Medicaid, the P-EBT food benefits may be issued to your Medicaid Common Benefit Identification Card (CBIC) or to the CBIC of the oldest child in your household who has been certified for free or reduced-price school lunches. You will receive more information about this in the mail. The notice will tell you how to set up a PIN for the card so that you can use the P-EBT food benefits. To report damaged, lost, or stolen EBT cards, and to request a replacement card, please call 888.328.6399.
  • If your family does not receive SNAP or PA benefits and if you do not already have an active EBT card, one will be mailed to you so you may access your child/children's P-EBT food benefits. A card will be issued and mailed in each school-aged child's name, not a parent's or guardian's name. 

When will my qualified child/children receive the P-EBT food benefits?

  • P-EBT food benefits will first be made available for eligible children living in households that receive SNAP or PA. They will be issued in two separate payments at the beginning and the end of June. 
  • Those receiving the benefit via Medicaid can expect the full lump sum around the end of June
  • Families not enrolled in SNAP, PA or Medicaid will receive one card per child in the mail in July or August. 

How do I use an EBT card?

An EBT card looks and is used like a bank debit card to buy food at authorized retail food stores and most green markets. To find an authorized retail food stores near you, the SNAP Retailer Locator can be be found here: https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/retailer-locator


Your home address is important and must be up-to-date

You can check your home address on record with the NYC DOE by logging in to your NYC Student account at mystudent.nyc 

If you need to change your address please send proof of residence to me via email at prosenberg@ps107.org 


Can I donate my P-EBT card to a family in need?

No. The P-EBT benefits are non transferable and must be used for the child whose name is on the card. However, if you want to donate you could do the following.

  • Shop for $420 worth of groceries with your EBT card and deliver them to a food pantry in a high need area
  • Shop for $420 worth of groceries with your EBT card and donate $420 to the PS 169 PTA or another charity helping families who are currently food insecure because of the pandemic.

More information is attached. This is not a benefit coming from the NYC DOE, it is from the New York State Office of Temporary Disability Assistance. If you have any questions regarding these benefits please send an email to this address: otda.sm.eisp.PEBT@otda.ny.gov