PARENT COORDINATOR UPDATES
Please see below for Ms. Joanna’s weekly message and updates from myself and the PTA.
Para traducción en español haga clic: here
MESSAGE FROM MS JOANNA
Dear PS 107 Families,
Today, the New York City public schools celebrate Indigenous People’s Day and Italian Heritage Day, honoring the contributions of indigenous peoples and the Italian community to our nation. Why has the city replaced Columbus Day with Indigenous People’s Day and Italian Heritage Day?
Columbus Day became a federal holiday in 1937, in part to combat anti-Italian discrimination in the United States, which arose as waves of immigrants arrived from Italy in the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. Columbus Day was meant to honor the contributions of Italian-Americans to the growth and development of the United States.
However, as a nation, we have increasingly recognized the impact of Christopher Columbus’s expedition. His arrival ushered in a long period of colonization, attempted destruction of indigenous people living in the Americas and their culture, as well as the beginning of the transatlantic slave trade. Should we be celebrating Columbus?
This shift in name, from Columbus Day to Italian Heritage Day and Indigenous People’s Day, allows us to honor the contributions of indigenous people and Italians that have made the United States what it is today. It is also important that we understand our past, and the ways in which different groups of people have been feared and discriminated against throughout American history. At PS 107, we help students be more aware of this long arc of history so that we can work towards a more tolerant, inclusive future.
Have a wonderful week!
PS We’ve just launched our official PS 107 Twitter account! Give us a follow for a window into what’s happening each day at 107: https://twitter.com/ps107brooklyn
To see all of Ms Joanna’s weekly updates, click here.
FAMILY INCOME FORMS
Did you know that completing these forms helps our school receive money for programs, regardless of whether your family qualifies for free or reduced lunch?
If you haven’t done so already, please complete the Family Income Inquiry Form as soon as possible and help PS107 receive the funding we deserve. Deadline is coming up!
5TH GRADE FAMILIES
Please be sure to check your child’s NYCSA account to confirm the address as they will send your MySchools account creation codes by mail to your home address. We are holding a Middle School Information Session for 5th grade families on October 24th at 7pm. Zoom information to follow. Please click here to access the DOE link for middle school enrollment information. Please click here to view any changes to our middle school information document.
LOST AND FOUND - Literal and Virtual
Please label your children’s items with their name and classroom. We make every effort to return items back to students if we can identify who they belong to. Right now sweaters/sweatshirts/jackets and umbrellas are updated. Water bottles and other items will be updated on Tuesday.
Please take a quick look at our virtual lost and found here and if you see something that belongs to you, please email Nadia and we will be sure to get the item to your child to go home.
Positive cases of COVID in students must still be reported to the DOE’s Situation Room; therefore, if your child tests positive, please alert our Parent Coordinator, Nadia Benlarbi, at email@example.com and copy Principal Joanna Cohen on your email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Fall Festival - This Sat, Oct 15 12- 4pm
- Picture Day - Mon, Oct 17
- PTA Meeting - 6:30 pm Thursday, Oct 20
- Tea Collection’s School Days - Oct 17 - 23
- Tea Collection’s - PS107 community members can use a unique promo code to get 20% off their orders placed between Oct 17 - 23. Promo code coming soon!
- Stoop Crawl - Fri, Oct 28
As you likely know, our Fall Festival is coming this Saturday, October 15th, from 12:00-4:00pm.
Here are some of the announcements and links that have gone out recently:
- We encourage you to purchase your tickets in advance to avoid long lines at the festival. You can do so here and pick up your wristbands/tickets the day before the event
- Are you able to help as a volunteer? See the volunteer sign ups here.
- Want to show off your culinary skills? Chili or pie contest signup here.
Picture Day will take place next Monday, October 17. No decisions need to be made prior to picture day except for what to wear that day! Irving Simon will be taking the pictures, and families will subsequently receive instructions to view the proofs and order their photos online. The pictures you order will then be delivered directly to your home. This is also a fundraiser--20% of all orders go directly to the PS 107 PTA.
- October 13- Meet the Principal for Third Grade 9-10am. Click HERE for the zoom link
- October 15 - Fall Festival - 12 - 4pm
- October 17 - Picture Day!
- October 20 - PTA meeting 6:30pm
- October 24 - 5th Grade Middle School Information Session - 7-8pm Zoom information to follow
- November 3 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - Virtual Platform
- November 8 - Election Day - Students do not attend school
- November 11 - Veterans Day - School is closed