PARENT COORDINATOR UPDATES
Welcome back PS 107 Families!
I hope you all had a restful and restorative mid-winter break! March is a busy month so please keep an eye on these updates as a resource for what's ahead.
See below for Ms. Joanna’s weekly message and updates from myself and the PTA.
MESSAGE FROM MS JOANNA
Dear PS 107 Families,
I hope that you and your children had a restful mid-winter break! It’s hard to believe that March begins this week. In March, we’ll be celebrating Women’s History Month, honoring the many incredible women who have worked to make the United States a better place for all. Our morning announcements will focus on important women who have made an impact on their communities. I am grateful for the many strong women that we have, right here, in our PS 107 community, who make our school the supportive, caring place that it is.
In March, we will also have a schoolwide focus on digital citizenship and online safety. Using resources from Common Sense, teachers will provide weekly lessons to students on such topics as media balance, online privacy, cyberbullying, and more. We will also host two parent workshops, as part of our ongoing series, Practical Parenting for the 21st Century. Both workshops will be led by PS 107 parents, one focusing on keeping your kids safe online with parent Kevin McCleary, and the other on building healthy digital habits with parent Tali Horowitz. For more details, including dates, times, and how to register (if necessary), please see our monthly flyer.
On Thursday, March 9th, we will host our second Parent-Teacher Conferences of the school year. Conferences will take place in the afternoon, between 1 and 3 pm; and in the evening, between 4:30 and 7:30 pm. Because of conferences, note that children will have a half day on Thursday, 3/9, and will be dismissed at 11:40 am. There is no after-school on Thursday, 3/9. Conferences will continue to be held remotely, per an agreement between the teachers’ union and the DOE. Your children’s teachers will let you know how to sign up for a conference. You can also request a conference with our specialty teachers by reaching out to them directly:
- Ms. Abby, 2-5 Science, email@example.com (afternoon conferences only)
- Ms. Diane, PreK-5 Physical Education, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. DiFranco, PreK-5 Music, email@example.com
- Ms. Galella, PreK-1 Library/English as a New Language, Academic Intervention for 1st and 2nd grade: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Julie, PreK-5 Art, email@example.com
Finally, we are looking forward to seeing the final third of parents at our next Family Morning this Friday, March 3rd (with the exception of 5th grade parents, who will be visiting for Family Morning on Thursday, March 2nd)! Parents will enter the school building with their children at children’s regular drop-off location. Parents should be prepared to show their ID (proof of COVID vaccination is no longer required by the NYC DOE) to school staff members posted at drop-off locations. As during previous months, we recommend leaving younger, non-school-age children at home if possible.
Have a wonderful week!
March will see the continuation of Fifth Grade's Freestyle Improvisation residency and the start of all residencies for Pre-K through 4th grades.
- Pre-K : Brooklyn Arts Exchange - Begins 3/8
- K and 1st : Tiny Scientists-Begins 3/1 and 3/3
- 2nd and 3rd: Alvin Ailey - Begins 3/1 and 3/2
- 4th : National Dance Institute- Begins 3/21
- 5th : Brooklyn Acting Lab - Begins 3/10
-PS 107/RUN 4 FUN Friendly Track Meet at the Armory –Friday March 3rd, 3:20 – 6 pm
-Shamrock Run in Prospect Park -Saturday March 11th, 2 pm
- A fundraiser for the PS107 Afterschool Program with a special appearance by the PS 107 Cheer Squad. Click Here for more details and to buy tickets, OPEN TO ALL including parents, siblings and friends
MARCH PARENT WORKSHOPS
-Internet Safety: Parents, Guardians, Communities by Kevin McCleary - March 14 @ 6:30 pm (Childcare will be provided)
-Nurturing Healthy Digital Habits by Tali Horowitz - March 24 @ 12:30 pm - Zoom Platform
View workshop information here: Practical Parenting for the 21st Century - March Workshops
All classes with 95% completion of the NYC School Survey can win a PIZZA PARTY!! How can you help to make this happen for your students:
- Parents/guardians should complete a separate survey for each child enrolled at PS 107
- Parents/guardians can take the survey online at NYCSchoolSurvey.org
- To access the survey, parents/guardian should enter the letter “f” (lowercase) followed by their student’s identification (OSIS) number which can be found on their report card, student ID card, NYCSA account, or Operoo (e.g. f123456789)
- The deadline to take the survey is March 31st, 2023
- The online survey is available in 10 NYCDOE supported languages: English, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Urdu
Once you complete the survey, please complete this google form so we may track your child's classrooms progress. Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your child tests positive, please alert our Parent Coordinator, Nadia Benlarbi, at email@example.com and copy Principal Joanna Cohen on your email at firstname.lastname@example.org . We are still reporting positive cases to the situation room and notifying classrooms and staff.
LOST AND FOUND
Our lost items will be bagged and donated after our parent teacher conference day on 3/9/23. Please click here to view the virtual lost and found and if you are in the building on Friday, please check it for your child's items on your way out.
Please continue to label your children’s items with their Full Name (First,Last) and classroom. The full name is important as we do have students with the same first name and including the classroom saves the extra step of looking up children in Operoo to find their classrooms to return the items to them.
Read-A-Thon - March 3rd-24th
Math Magic Start Day - March 8th
Heritage Day - March 18th
STEM Day - April 1st
Auction/Gala - April 28th
MATH MAGIC IS COMING - MARCH 8th
Mark Your Calendars: Wednesday, March 8 will be the first Math Magic Morning!
STEM DAY IS BACK - APRIL 1st!
Mark your calendars and get ready for PS107's science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) day on April 1st from 12 pm to 3 pm. We plan to transform the school into a science and technology wonderland with exciting hands-on activities, interactive experiments, and fascinating demonstrations. From building and launching rockets to coding, from discovering the intricacies of life under the microscope to experiencing the physical properties of matter, there's something for everyone!
As we are preparing for this event, we need YOU to make STEM Day a success! Do you have an idea for a workshop you’d like to lead? Or do you prefer to help a workshop leader? Please sign up here.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com (Reem) and firstname.lastname@example.org (Christina).
HOST A ROOM FOR HERITAGE DAY
Heritage Day is on March 18th! We have more than ten rooms going so far—if you'd like to host co-host a room, please fill out this form!
Events like Heritage Day are what make our school community so cozy-- and they can't happen without volunteers! If you're not inspired to host a room, know that we'll need lots of help in other ways too. If you have questions, email me at email@example.com.
SPRING AUCTION GALA
The Spring Auction is coming April 28th, 7-11pm at the Picnic House. Save the Date! As the committee plans for the great event we are looking for your support! Have an amazing donation to contribute to the auction? Fill out our Google Donation form at this link! Aren't sure or have questions? Read more about what makes a great donation from our earlier Konstella post here or email Alyse (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Christine (email@example.com).
WEEKLY GREEN TIP FROM PS107 GREEN COMMITTEE
Thinking about birthday party goody bags? Consider recycled small brown bags instead of plastic, or put your few gifts in a basket and make it a “grab and go.”
SUPPORT THE PS 107 PTA
- Donate to our Annual Fund by clicking here or share this link with friends and family (a special link for non-Konstella users)
- Scan your groceries receipt with the Box Tops for Education app on your phone. It only takes a minute and any purchases with the Box Tops label on them will automatically make money for our school!
- March 2 - Family Morning 5th grade 8:20 - 9:10am
- March 3 - Family Morning Pre-K to 4th grade 8:20 - 9:10am
- March 3 - 24 - Read-A-Thon
- March 9 - Parent Teacher Conferences -virtual platform
- March 14 - Parent Workshop- Internet Safety: Parents, Guardians, Communities by Kevin McCleary - 6:30 pm In person
- March 15 - D15 Town Hall with Superintendent Alvarez 6:30-8pm virtual platform
- March 16 - PTA Meeting 9-10am
- March 18 - Heritage Day
- March 24 - Parent Workshop - Nurturing Healthy Digital Habits by Tali Horowitz- 12:30 virtual platform
- April 1 - Stem Day
- April 6 - 16 - Spring Recess - School Closed