Greetings and welcome back to school! The PS107 Green Committee is gearing up, and will be sharing semi-regular updates on 107’s growing sustainability, opportunities to support sustainability and green education at school and locally, and other relevant info.
Thank you to PS107 teachers, leaders, and parents for making the following recent changes!
- School supply waste reduced: We shifted to reusing what we had and buying just what was needed. Thank you teachers!
- Event-breakfast waste reduced: At the new-parent/caregiver breakfast, we shifted to reusable cups and eliminated the plastic platters and cutlery (used reusables). Thank you events committee!
Timely tips shared by neighborhood parents
- If your child brings their lunch: Check out these 7 ways to make it more sustainable. And, a local tip -- Buy bag / package free at the green market Wed and Sun at Bartel Pritchard. If you use your P-EBT card, you can get up to $10 in additional food (tip from Park Slope Parents).
- If you have old/busted inflatables: For a limited time, you can recycle ALL BRANDS of inflatable pools and floats through the Funsicle® Inflatables Free Recycling Program. Inflatable pools and floats are made of plastic, but they aren’t typically recyclable through curbside programs. Take advantage of this special event to recycle floats through this program —only through Oct 4th (tip from parent Spring Hofeldt).
Community events (from city-council member Shahana Hanif’s office)
- 10/1 from 10 AM-12 PM: Join Clean-Up Kensington, our office, and Big Reuse to clean up the neighborhood and care for our street trees. We will be meeting at Beverley Road Plaza at 10 AM. RSVP here.
- 10/15 from 10 AM-2 PM: E-waste collection on Beverley Road Plaza in partnership with Lower East Side Ecology Center. We’ll share more details closer to the date!
- If you have any questions about the upcoming events, please email Hannah at HHenderson-Charnow@council.nyc.gov!
We need you! If you want to join the green committee, please email me or sign up on Konstella! Our first meeting will be 10/2.