In the month of March, we are partnering with Repair the World in support of Reading Partners, an organization that provides individualized reading support for elementary school students struggling with reading in under-resourced schools in NYC. During the pandemic, Reading Partners launched a successful virtual platform to continue to reach students with a meaningful and evidence-based tutoring program.
To further support this program, the Community Outreach Committee will kick off a supply drive from March 14th through March 18th. Reading Partners has requested kits of new K-5 diverse books, cleaning wipes, playdough, small whiteboards, and whiteboard markers. Tips on book selection are below. Starting March 14th, you may drop off materials at the school in our collection box. Our goal is to collect 100 of each item to form the kits.
If preferred, you may also provide a cash donation by March 14th which will be used to make a central purchase to help form the kits (venmo @Kajal-Below, referencing “Reading Partners”).
In addition, PS 107 will host a family volunteer packaging event Saturday, March 19th from 10:30-noon. Student and parent/caregiver volunteers can work with Repair the World in packaging the supplies for Reading Partners. Please sign up here if interested!
Community Outreach Committee
(Event Contact: Kajal Patel Below)
Books (must be new):
- Multicultural books and books featuring diverse characters (ages 5-9)
- Books for beginning readers
- Award winning books (Caldecott Medal & Honor, Newbery, New York Times Best, Sibert Informational Book Medal, Coretta Scott King Book Award, etc.)
- Graphic novels for grades 3 and 4 such as Dogman/Diary of a Wimpy Kid/Dork Diaries
- Non-fiction texts focused on animals, sports, science, Black History, etc.
- For additional recommendations, check out Reading Partners’ Diverse Book Wishlist!